IT.COM

domains Vitalik Buterin: Time To Change How ENS Domains Are Priced

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
ENS domains today are cheap. Very cheap. The cost to register and maintain a five-letter domain name is only $5 per year. This sounds reasonable from the perspective of one person trying to register a single domain, but it looks very different when you look at the situation globally: when ENS was younger, someone could have registered all 8938 five-letter words in the Scrabble wordlist (which includes exotic stuff like "BURRS", "FLUYT" and "ZORIL") and pre-paid their ownership for a hundred years, all for the price of two lambos. And in fact, many people did: today, almost all of those five-letter words are already taken, many by squatters waiting for someone to buy the domain from them at a much higher price. A random scrape of OpenSea shows that about 40% of all these domains are for sale or have been sold on that platform alone.

The question worth asking is: is this really the best way to allocate domains?

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Looks like people who invested in these assets are going to be screwed. Nothing new here though. A heavily centralized platform hiding under the aura of "decentralized" industry while being completely unregulated, the worst of both worlds, what could possibly go wrong?

•••
They screwed up. The cheap prices should have started at 6 characters, not 5. Did they learn nothing from the existing .COM name system ?

$25 for 5 chars

$10 for 6+ chars

5$ ? Morons.

Last edited:
•••
My concern here is when ETH begins staking. Institutional mega funds will be in control of voting rights to network changes. Will this mean they can approve/deny trx, white/blacklist address, mint/burn coins to manipulate the price?

Say the big boys don't like what your cute dapp project is doing, would they be able to just blacklist your entire project? All the TDL, and subs?

•••
The recent history shows that there no decentralized things. Binance, opensea almost centralized by US gov.

•••
Tell the average person the renewal fee for their domain will be a derivative function and see how that works out.

I agree a bit with what he's saying, but it's obvious that rich people live in a different world than the average person. You can see it when he talks about congestion based pricing.

Cities have a hard time adding congestion pricing, even when it's painfully clear that the only two choices are paying congestion fees in dollars and paying congestion fees in wasted time and weakened mental health driving in painfully slow traffic.

There are 2 choices for rich people. Normal people have a 3rd (non) choice foisted on them. If they're poor enough they get priced out of the system and can't participate. Consumption based pricing is great for rich people because it subverts progressive tax systems. Instead of improving and expanding infrastructure, where a majority of the capital would come from taxes paid by the rich, consumption based pricing allows for less infrastructure (ie: less taxes on the rich) because poor people can be deprived of using that infrastructure under the guise of equitable, consumption based pricing.

I'm skeptical of anything resembling solution 1. What happens in cases like nissan.com? The original owner undeniably has a right to that domain and shouldn't have to sell it to anyone. A market value based surcharge favors large businesses and rich individuals. For the sake of argument, say that domain is worth more than $1 million. Nissan Motors could bid $1 million which, using the 0.5% example, increases the renewal fee to $5000 / year. That case was 20 years ago, so would it really be fair for the rightful owner of the domain to pay an extra $100k in renewal fees over that time just because they're not willing to sell their domain to a wealthy buyer for less than fair market value?

What about people that own a domain for a popular surname? Should they be forced to start paying fair market value if they're using it for a vanity email address? Should every participant without commercial ambitions be priced out of the domain market?

I wish I were better at figuring out the math because I don't understand the numbers he gives in the second part. In the linear growth example it's a $15 increase per year. Assuming face value for the first year, I would expect 0 + 15 + 30 + 45 + 60 + 75 + 90 + 105 + 120 + 135 = a $675 premium over 10 years. Where does the $1250 come from?

Can someone explain how the exponential growth fee in solution 2 works? I don't understand the math. Is that a hard cap or is it a function of the market value? For example, what does that number look like if someone bids $100k on a domain? Is it still $836 for 10 years?

I don't know what the answer is for fairly allocating domains, but I think solutions that boil down to charging more money end up out of reach for the bottom of the market before they have an impact on the participants with enough capital to game the system.

Last edited:
•••
•••
sorry i'd warn against $
Screenshot_20220914-125226_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back