Dynadot

other Vetting procedure for sales threads

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Can Namepros look into getting sales listings vetted?

I just looked at a thread that has been bumped for 20 pages and with one of their listings they are asking for more than the domain is listed on a Brandable website.....

How is this allowed?

It smacks of unprofessionalism from the lister and Namepros as you are allowing this to happen......

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Again, I'll say that I didn't even think that this individual was the issue. The person I had ultimately to put on the "ignore" list was doing it every 10 minutes.
Many are, didn’t even know about the bump plug-in, years ago somebody mentioned they were using a Windows command to bump threads. So I have no idea what the rules are since they don’t seem to actually exist and I don’t think whoever is in charge is too worried about it

•••
Again, I'll say that I didn't even think that this individual was the issue. That individual I felt compelled to put on my "ignore" list. They were doing the bumps every 10 minutes. Whether they are still doing it, I don't know, because I don't see anything from that member at this point.
The "ignore" button is a very powerful tool.
Olgaler? he still doing this

•••
Olgaler? he still doing this
I noticed that one. Saw he had the most posts here in only 2 years, don’t remember his posts, they were sales threads. Blue Account supposed to be 4 bumps a day

Maybe you don’t even have to pay or pay for a lower account and bump away if nobody is watching. Get multiple accounts and own this place

Last edited:
•••
Many are, didn’t even know about the bump plug-in, years ago somebody mentioned they were using a Windows command to bump threads. So I have no idea what the rules are since they don’t seem to actually exist and I don’t think whoever is in charge is too worried about it
I started wondering if it was possible, then I went to research it, I found this site but it was paid... so I ended up doing my own thing. turns out it's free and 24/7, the biggest motivation was silly, I forgot to bump or bumped at the wrong time...

•••
I started wondering if it was possible, then I went to research it, I found this site but it was paid... so I ended up doing my own thing. turns out it's free and 24/7, the biggest motivation was silly, I forgot to bump or bumped at the wrong time...
Sadly, there were others trying to sell domains probably over the year that didn't get as much visibility thanks to others using this automated tool. Visibility in the front page "new posts" section could matter quite a bit--since it's unclear how often actual people rather than bots are checking the sales sections. The bumps give at least perhaps a few minutes of viewing time to a large audience as a "New Post" listing. And it is very much appreciated.

Just keep in mind that there are folks who are only allowed two posts and two bumps a day. Don't they deserve at least a chance to have their listing seen. And what about VIPs, like myself, who have worked hard to get to this account level. My 2-3 bumps/day become very irrelevant if, with 10 minute bumps, you have 144 bumps/d. At then multiply that by multiple listings!

Can the automated tool scripts be eliminated or at least blocked for now, pending having it fixed to correct for account levels?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••

The person doing the144bumps/day knows who they are, and they are now gone from my view thanks to the ignore button. Who it is is irrelevant at this point to me. If you are likewise seeing anyone abusing the system, feel free to click on their profile and push "ignore." You won't have to worry about seeing anything from them ever again.

So, let's say you are a Gold Account member, paying for 5 bumps per day. You now learn that you could have been posting over 100x a day for free, without paying a dime.
Does this help recruit paying members? Retain them? Who wouldn't think it's a good idea to stop this automated bumping script immediately, and apply the bumping rules uniformly?

If paid members are using the script, they could be alerted that they need temporarily to do the bumping manually, until the technical issues are resolved.

Last edited:
•••
The whole bump issue is very strange. For my account level, the server does prevent any bumps more than the 3/d allotted by my account level. The curious thing was why some members appeared to be able to bump even multiple times in an hour.
They can't. Their excess bumps don't have any impact. They receive a notice that their bump has been disregarded. If you have a specific example where that has not happened, please let me know and I'll investigate. Please link to the exact post--not just the thread--that bumped when it should not have done so.

yeah, I don’t blame the people because Paul said it’s within the rules. But I just can’t seem to locate those rules @Paul where are those rules that don’t seem to match up with account limits?
I don't think I said it's within the rules; I probably said those excess bumps have no impact. If you make useless bumps so frequently that it's annoying other users despite not actually bumping anything, and we find that you're using automated tools to do so, we're probably going to ask you to stop, at the very least.

His reply didn’t make any sense to me. For one of your threads I see 12 bumps. Somewhere else I saw somebody mention a bump every 15 minutes, that’s almost 100 a day
I think people are confused about which posts actually bump a thread. If you do that, you're just make useless excess posts that don't bump the thread.

That would solve the problem, which appears to be a technical matter that Namepros has yet to address.
As far as I can tell, there's no technical issue on our end. If you make excess bumps, they'll be ignored: your thread won't be bumped. The post will still appear, but it won't have any effect.

Ah, ok, I don't know if it will change much, there are some other users...
If you have a browser plugin that's automatically bumping threads, and it's causing issues for other users, please consider fixing it.

•••
•••
•••
•••
That being said, I'm seeing that more of those bumped than I would expect. I'm looking into why.
I was wrong. It's a blue account, so the thread can be bumped four times per day. All those posts--yet only four valid bumps per day. That's a bit much.

•••
I was wrong. It's a blue account, so the thread can be bumped four times per day. All those posts--yet only four valid bumps per day. That's a bit much.
The bumps definitely matter, because they show up in the front page right side "new posts" section. As previously suggested, this is a prime spot. The "new post" gets usually, at best, a few minutes of visibility there.
So, even if a small group of auto-bumpers do this 4-6x a hour, with multiple listings, then that's likely to make it more difficult to see new discussion posts.

I've noticed lately that it's harder to notice the new discussion threads and responses, but I'm not sure how much is due to automated bumps.

•••
Look,I realize also that this is a touchy subject. No doubt the sellers are eager to sell their domains, and want the business that comes from the extra visibility. But perhaps what they don't realize is that maybe they have lost business due to the excessive bumping. I know I stopped reading the high bumper threads, after getting turned off by it.

They might actually get more business if the bumps were cut back to the allowable account limits! These appear to be good sellers and buyers, and they may be pleasantly surprised with such a change.

•••
The bumps definitely matter, because they show up in the front page right side "new posts" section. As previously suggested, this is a prime spot. The "new post" gets usually, at best, a few minutes of visibility there.
If that's the case, we can easily fix it.

Edit: After looking into it further, I can see that we already filter out invalid bumps from the sidebar widget.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back