Dynadot

User based discrimination at Dan?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do my domains parked at Dan resolve?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, they load instantly.

votes
    83.3%
  • Takes a few seconds.

votes
    0.0%
  • Takes more than 10 seconds (in the first attempt)

vote
    8.3%
  • Some are slow some are fast

vote
    8.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

topdom

Top Member
Impact
None of my domains parked at Dan resolve (in less than 20 seconds).
Registrar doesn't matter. It is purely Dan made problem.
It must be intentional.
Why I think so:
Other people's domains resolve instantly.
Not sure if most people are like me, or
only a few intentionally discriminated users are like me.

It is not registrar related.
It is not ISP related.
So the only remaining possibility: users are not treated equally.
There is at least one more user like me.
Let's check what their criteria is.
And they lie and pretend everything is ok.
Maybe they are not aware of this problem
(if so they are still responsible for it,
because there is an easy cure).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just tested one of mine A- grade and 97%

These kind of false accusation threads are not helpful to anyone. People should not be allowed to post garbage claims here without proof.

Paranoia seems to be the thread starters forte as all his threads someone is conspiring or doing him wrong. Check his thread history. If its not DAN its Epik or NameSilo or Dynadot.

Take it up with DAN if you have proof.

•••
Yes, Dan's performance for loading sucks. And it is not just fully loaded time that matters. It took Dan 1.2 seconds to actually send the "first contentful paint" when testing for Canada. 1.7 seconds for the FCP for India, 1.6 seconds for Hong Kong (China) and 1.2 seconds for the USA. Those times are not good at all.

In practical terms if I type the domain into a browser it tends to load faster, though at times it can load far slower.

There are certainly some improvements that could be made, but I don't think it has anything to with "discrimination" as the OP claims. Some factors are within Dan's control, and some other external factors are not.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
In practical terms if I type the domain into a browser it tends to load faster, though at times it can load far slower.

There are certainly some improvements that could be made, but I don't think it has anything to with "discrimination" as the OP claims. Some factors are within Dan's control, some others are external factors.

Brad

I am not even commenting on the "discrimination" part. That is just BS. The loading time is very important factor though. Dan must be losing on considerable % of sales for itself and its clients.

Last edited:
•••
Just tested one of mine A- grade and 97%

These kind of false accusation threads are not helpful to anyone. People should not be allowed to post garbage claims here without proof.

Paranoia seems to be the thread starters forte as all his threads someone is conspiring or doing him wrong. Check his thread history. If its not DAN its Epik or NameSilo or Dynadot.

Take it up with DAN if you have proof.

I agree, the accusations against people or businesses without fair certainty shouldn't be made. Unfortunately, with so much stress around, medications, and bunch of things affecting people's health I am not surprised or don't want to judge how people perceive things nowadays :(

I am redirecting the discussion a little towards the area where Dan can really improve. When I get to GA data, I will recheck again. They were showing really bad experience for average loading times for many regions last time I checked.

•••
I am redirecting the discussion a little towards the area where Dan can really improve. When I get to GA data, I will recheck again. They were showing really bad experience for average loading times for many regions last time I checked.
Thanks @Recons.Com. Some solid data will certainly help @DAN.COM. Here's a summary of my Google Analytics data regarding DAN landers (about 10,000 domains pointing to them), showing the Average page load time in seconds. Period: Apr 22 - May 21, 2022. I'm using 3 DAN nameservers, the Standard For Sale Page theme, and do not use the forward/redirect feature in DAN settings.

1653215935758.png

•••
Thanks @Recons.Com. Some solid data will certainly help @DAN.COM. Here's a summary of my Google Analytics data regarding DAN landers (about 10,000 domains pointing to them), showing the Average page load time in seconds. Period: Apr 22 - May 21, 2022. I'm using 3 DAN nameservers, the Standard For Sale Page theme, and do not use the forward/redirect feature in DAN settings.

Show attachment 216438
wow 18+ seconds seems like eternety O_o

•••
2,3 seconds, not good , not very bad, in Canada. Maybe my ISP is multiplying everything by 10 (if it is my domain, but how could they know).

•••

Show attachment 216438
At some point I have heard that either no redirect or redirect (default setting) causes slower loading but I am not sure which.

That point has been brought up to DAN before but perhaps its time to send the proofs to DAN regarding your findings or anyone’s findings.

I do not believe that anyone is specifically blocked. It serves no purpose as DAN wants sales just like we do. When and if they block someone they remove them from the platform.

•••
2,3 seconds, not good , not very bad, in Canada.
In my overview, you should read it as 23,6 seconds on average for Canada, not 2,3.

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 216438

Great data, thanks, and now everyone should agree that Dan is unacceptably slow.

(only difference with my original claim (suspicion): I claimed delays might be user specific.)

Other sites, Afternic, Epik, Dynadot, Sedo,..can also be very slow sometimes (and maybe regularly),
but at Dan this is a very chronic problem (and about 10 month old), meaning, this is a rule rather than an exception. I can bypass this problem by redirecting to search results, but it would then take lots of time.
(or just not use Dan).

•••
I was also experiencing slow load times of dan.com very often. This also happened with domain names from other sellers. But I noticed that this happened when you use name servers of dan.com (ns1 and ns2). I noticed that when you park with A-record (52.58.78.16) instead of name servers the page loads faster. Also some page themes from dan.com load slower than others but difference is small. But it works best if you redirect your domain name to https://dan.com/buy-domain/example.com. Try for example test6.eu and see if it loads fast. I don't have much technical knowledge but I think somewhere in their dns settings of their name servers are problems. But as said before this problem happens not always but sometimes.

•••
The average page load time for all my DAN domains (visitors from all countries combined) is shown in the graphic below, which I've now also added to my custom dashboard in Google Analytics.

The average page load time for yesterday is 11.56 seconds.

1653221368163.png

GA Widget settings are shown below (in Dutch):

1653221619202.png

Last edited:
•••
The average page load time for all my DAN domains (visitors from all countries combined) is shown in the graphic below, which I've now also added to my custom dashboard in Google Analytics.

The average page load time for yesterday is 11.56 seconds.

Show attachment 216440

GA Widget settings are shown below (in Dutch):

Show attachment 216443

This isn't very accurate since the load times reported by GA include third-party assets that are loaded in slower like Trustpilot's widget.

The average load time we track internally is 800miliseconds, check Pingdom for more relevant benchmarks: https://tools.pingdom.com/#603bffd4e1800000

1653293997298.png

•••
This isn't very accurate since the load times reported by GA include third-party assets that are loaded in slower like Trustpilot's widget.

The average load time we track internally is 800miliseconds, check Pingdom for more relevant benchmarks: https://tools.pingdom.com/#603bffd4e1800000

Show attachment 216472

Please don't provide information that is simply untrue. Your above explanation doesn't cover why then different regions see such drastic difference. Netherlands sees page loads close to a second, while some countries can see load times above 10 seconds. It also doesn't explain why it takes so long for Dan to start sending the first byte. This definitely has nothing to do with Trustpilot. If your whole problem is because of the third party widgets, then find a solution including an option to remove them, because they cannot compensate for lost sales due to slow loading.

Believe me, no ecommerce shop would survive it would be loading that slow and their stores are normally more complex than a simple lander needs to be.

Also, pingdom did not let me test for different regions, differing from GTmetrix, so the point is mute. We know that the USA and the UK are not the biggest problems with Dan.

PS actually, for USA pingdom shows for me 1.16 sec, not 0.64 you are getting for the US. Again, apparently DAN doesn't have properly distributed global solution for the job it has undertaken.

dan-test-pingdom.png

Last edited:
•••
Please don't provide information that is simply untrue. Your above explanation doesn't cover why then different regions see such drastic difference. Netherlands sees page loads close to a second, while some countries can see load times above 10 seconds. It also doesn't explain why it takes so long for Dan to start sending the first byte. This definitely has nothing to do with Trustpilot. If your whole problem is because of the third party widgets, then find a solution including an option to remove them, because they cannot compensate for lost sales due to slow loading.

Believe me, no ecommerce shop would survive it would be loading that slow and their stores are normally more complex than a simple lander needs to be.

Also, pingdom did not let me test for different regions, differing from GTmetrix, so the point is mute. We know that the USA and the UK are not the biggest problems with Dan.

PS actually, for USA pingdom shows for me 1.16 sec, not 0.64 you are getting for the US. Again, apparently DAN doesn't have properly distributed global solution for the job it has undertaken.

Show attachment 216474

Our example was taken from the UK test option as shown in the screenshot not US.

Again, we track the average loading times and benchmark with other providers internally which returns more accurate benchmarks than online tools.

Any out-of-the-ordinary loading times above 2.5 seconds are not the result of our setup and or accurate since the page loads in a real browser much faster than what benchmarking tools will show.

•••
Our example was taken from the UK test option as shown in the screenshot not US.

Again, we track the average loading times and benchmark with other providers internally which returns more accurate benchmarks than online tools.

Any out-of-the-ordinary loading times above 2.5 seconds are not the result of our setup and or accurate since the page loads in a real browser much faster than what benchmarking tools will show.

Interesting. Dan used to be very open to feedback and more reasonable. Now, it seems, it is just being very defensive.

I'd rather trust GA and GTMetrix. Btw, they show better results for both your competition and for the listings on full blown ecommerce sites that are normally heavier. So GTMetrix must be conspiring specifically against Dan.

Anyway, this lack of listening to feedback is not without consequence. I had about 18300 names pointing to Dan landers. Now I am leaving about 1/3 there and will keep an eye on any improvements before making further decisions.

•••
Just performed Google page speed check and the results are just awful. It has NOTHING to do with any third party.

2.8 seconds to first contentful paint
7.5 seconds to first interactive
Performance estimated at 67 out of 100.

Apparently, the results on mobile are way worse than on desktop. This partially could explain why Dan thinks it doesn't have problem.

dan-google.png

dan-google2.png

Last edited:
•••
Dan people do not play politics, why should they discriminate you? As far as I know, the entire staff at DAN are very humble, hardworking and pro-clients only.

•••
Performance estimated at 67 out of 100.
People should stop taking these tests too seriously. It gives even worse score to Amazon.com, which in fact performs brilliantly.

•••
People should stop taking these tests too seriously. It gives even worse score to Amazon.com, which in fact performs brilliantly.

Amazon is not comparable. First, it is way more complex than a lander. Second, it knows its clients and has wealth of info about them and their profiles and can make sure what is needed is cached properly and served really fast. So for them there are real tradeoffs between fast loading and showing as much as possible and collecting max info.

While for lander, I am not sure what they are showing or collecting because the only data I am shown as the owner of my names is basically number of visits. Their primary focus should be really fast loading and everything else should be implemented with the speed in mind.

Update: I did test relevant pages and I must admit google page test has turned into crap. Not sure what the reason is, but they are way off with the eye test.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you both @DAN.COM and @Recons.Com for your speedy analysis. I do not share OP's opinion that certain users, or their individual domains, are intentionally harmed on DAN's platform. It's obvious that DAN pays a lot more attention to speed, availability, and redundancy matters these days, and I appreciate that. FWIW, I am currently not experiencing any speed problems while visiting DAN landers myself.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back