Dynadot

domain USA CANNA //com

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduser Price

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • xxx

votes
    64.0%
  • low-mid x,xxx

votes
    16.0%
  • mid-high x,xxx

votes
    16.0%
  • xx,xxx

votes
    0.0%
  • More than 20k

vote
    4.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

DomainBarracksRob

Top Member
Impact
Reseller price?

Enduser price range..this year?

in 3 years?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Owner can NOT renew once the domain hits 30 days after expiry - GD says so themselves:
https://uk.godaddy.com/help/renewing-my-expired-domain-name-609

But what actually happens can be different. I had a similar experience with a domain that we bought then being cancelled and getting very unsatisfactory info from GD auctions. I considered creating a thread for it - just be warned you can win a name, even one registered at GD, then it gets cancelled. They don't even tell you its cancelled or tell you you did not get it or email you to say they refunded it.

Then you can try to dropcatch it.

When they introduced the 30 day cutoff it was supposed to stop people renewing names after others had bought them but it seems there are errors or loopholes or getouts going on.

wait wait wait..................are you telling me it went to the CLOSEOUT BINS (Day 36)??? where I could of grabbed it for $11+??? And someone else picked up.....AFTER I WAS TOLD TO PLACE BO? ( I had no clue to even look there as I was not told this).....

IF it went to the closeout section ....I'll be livid as that is not the same as "put back into the registry , "place a back order" as I was informed to do by GoDaddy! .. @Joe Styler ??

Last edited:
•••
Sorry to hear about this, the amount of second chance offers I have had this past year is alarming.

I hope you didn’t get caught in the middle of a bad threesome with bidder 1 , and 2 lobbing up the price, and somehow you got stuck in the middle somehow.

Everyone here has probably been bid up by users who had no basis being on the platforms. It’s almaot amazing that the other losing bids of these deadbeats never get scaled back, only winning. Effectively all their bids should be void.

If I lost this domain at $700 to be honest, I wouldn’t be to heart broken over it.
All other bids are voided out if the winning bidder doesn't pay. The Second bidder would pay the amount as if the first bidders bids never existed.

•••
GoDaddy is shady as usual.

•••
wait wait wait..................are you telling me it went to the CLOSEOUT BINS (Day 36)??? where I could of grabbed it for $11+??? And someone else picked up.....AFTER I WAS TOLD TO PLACE BO? ( I had no clue to even look there as I was not told this).....

IF it went to the closeout section ....I'll be livid as that is not the same as "put back into the registry , "place a back order" as I was informed to do by GoDaddy! .. @Joe Styler ??
This domain did not go to closeout. It was grabbed with a backorder just not yours. If there are multiple backorders we go with whoever placed the backorder on the domain first by timestamp. I just looked, you were 3rd.
I was not able to help you personally because I was in a meeting at the time but I did assist the rep you spoke with and told him to tell you to get a backorder. I did not lookup any back end info on the auction to see if there were other backorders etc. I do not give out non public info to anyone during an auction. I do not believe the rep could have seen that info himself.

Bottom line, we can work on updating the language in the email to "up to 24 hours" to make it more clear. No one ever gets exactly 24 hours because all 2nd highest bids are done manually by the support team and they cannot process each one exactly at 24 hours each day. The terms of service on the auctions are a bit more clear.

The terms state : you may be offered the Expired Domain Name for purchase. You must complete the purchase of the Expired Domain Name within twenty-four (24) hours of notification of the Expired Domain Name being offered to you.

The key words here are may be offered the domain for purchase. We don't have to and don't have to wait the 24 hours, but you must pay within that time period if we still have the domain in your won section. But we don't need to keep it there or even offer it to you.

I agree we can work on making this more clear. I'll talk to the legal team and see what they can do. I'm not a lawyer and they may have a reason for this language.

There are a lot of reasons for why we do this like we do and why you couldn't get the domain name after it was removed from your won section. In a perfect world we'd love to have sold the domain to you, we would have made more money and you would be happier. Unfortunately, on an expired domain name there are a lot of moving parts and a limited time frame for things to happen. Once an auction is closed out like this one was, it is extremely hard to get re-opened.

•••
GoDaddy is shady as usual.
I disagree. The way I see it we went above and beyond to try and help a customer who wanted the domain but didn't win the auction have a chance to get it. We do not have to offer it to the 2nd highest and in the grand scheme of things for us it is not a lot of money, but it is a decent amount of manual work on our end. We would rather try to help people get the domains they want though and because of this are happy to try and help give someone a 2nd chance.

•••
This domain did not go to closeout. It was grabbed with a backorder just not yours. If there are multiple backorders we go with whoever placed the backorder on the domain first by timestamp. I just looked, you were 3rd.
I was not able to help you personally because I was in a meeting at the time but I did assist the rep you spoke with and told him to tell you to get a backorder. I did not lookup any back end info on the auction to see if there were other backorders etc. I do not give out non public info to anyone during an auction. I do not believe the rep could have seen that info himself.

Bottom line, we can work on updating the language in the email to "up to 24 hours" to make it more clear. No one ever gets exactly 24 hours because all 2nd highest bids are done manually by the support team and they cannot process each one exactly at 24 hours each day. The terms of service on the auctions are a bit more clear.

The terms state : you may be offered the Expired Domain Name for purchase. You must complete the purchase of the Expired Domain Name within twenty-four (24) hours of notification of the Expired Domain Name being offered to you.

The key words here are may be offered the domain for purchase. We don't have to and don't have to wait the 24 hours, but you must pay within that time period if we still have the domain in your won section. But we don't need to keep it there or even offer it to you.

I agree we can work on making this more clear. I'll talk to the legal team and see what they can do. I'm not a lawyer and they may have a reason for this language.

There are a lot of reasons for why we do this like we do and why you couldn't get the domain name after it was removed from your won section. In a perfect world we'd love to have sold the domain to you, we would have made more money and you would be happier. Unfortunately, on an expired domain name there are a lot of moving parts and a limited time frame for things to happen. Once an auction is closed out like this one was, it is extremely hard to get re-opened.
My take away is this - if you are being offered a domain as 2nd highest bidder, do not take it. Instead just place a bo and get it for $20. I always thought it went down the chain in order of highest bidder but it doesn’t sound like that happened in this case.

•••

I disagree. The way I see it we went above and beyond to try and help a customer who wanted the domain but didn't win the auction have a chance to get it. We do not have to offer it to the 2nd highest and in the grand scheme of things for us it is not a lot of money, but it is a decent amount of manual work on our end. We would rather try to help people get the domains they want though and because of this are happy to try and help give someone a 2nd chance.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this in great length and detail ! I have learned a lot.

The 24hr bit is slightly miss leading and knowing how this works now I can fully say I would have acted faster on my gut dession and paid for it the minute I put it in my cart and not left it a couple hours to think on. I’m guessing this include all Ack Order that were put on he name long before the auction as well ?...either way I appreciate you taking the time to explain this, and I think many here can learn from this.

I am also still leading to try to conduct my conversations and business more professionally when I speak or reply , yet sometime emotions over take my track of thought. You’ve done your job, I thank you for you help and trying to help me best as possible. Really would of loved to had this name and would have paid the price before that “24hrs” was up...so in a sense the “letter” cost Godaddy $667....times that by how many times this happens and it’s more than that for Godaddy.

I learned more about Godaddy Back Orders as Anothet Domainer and I were just talking about “how it works when there’s multiple BOs” now we know .

•••
My take away is this - if you are being offered a domain as 2nd highest bidder, do not take it. Instead just place a bo and get it for $20. I always thought it went down the chain in order of highest bidder but it doesn’t sound like that happened in this case.

It surely did not . I thought that as well....

Oh and pray your the only and “ first “ BO for it to work.

Last edited:
•••
It surely did not . I thought that as well....

Oh and pray your the only and “ first “ BO for it to work.
People aren’t going to place bo for domains that are in expired auction. The only reason it happened in this case was because of the threads created here.

•••
People aren’t going to place bo for domains that are in expired auction. The only reason it happened in this case was because of the threads created here.

I was wondering about that ...makes sense now.

•••
Yeah you would have to be the first person to place the backorder, it could be that someone places a backorder two years ago on the domain. There is an easy way to see this though if the first bid is placed at $10 instead of $12 on an expired domain than you know there is a backorder on the auction.
Ultimately it is not the best idea to put a backorder on as your main means of winning an auction because as I said there are a lot of variables and moving parts on an expired domain. It wouldn't hurt to put a backorder on an auction you are interested in and this is especially true if you buy a lot of expired domains.
This is because if you buy backorders in bulk it has the advantage of giving you a slight discount on the final price as well as trying to catch the domain at the end of the auction cycle.

A backorder covers your first bid, or if the bidding goes above the price of the initial bid, let's say it ends at $25, the backorder credit gives you a $10 bid credit AND it covers your renewal on the domain. So if you bought 25 backorder credits at $12.40 each and then applied them to auctions you are bidding on you'd save quite a bit.

I'll use the $25 final price auction as an example. You bid on xyz.com for $25 and you have also placed a backorder on xyz.com and you win at the $25 bid. We take your backorder credit away which gives you a $10 credit on your bid price and a free year renewal. So you would pay $15 for the auction win $25 - $10 credit, The backorder cost you $12.40 so you are $27.40 out the door to win that auction for $25. Sounds great right? Wait a second while we do the math the other way.

You win xyz.com for $25. The name is expired so you have to renew it. With Domain Discount club your renewal cost is $8.47 so that auction costs you $33.47. With the backorder you save $5.07. If you do not have a discount the current list price on our site for a .com renewal is $18.17 plus the $25 bid comes to $43.17.

So you can see that if you buy a lot of domains that expire this is a good way to go. I covered this in a YouTube video a couple years ago but I am not that famous so a lot of people havent seen it yet :)

There are a couple caveats though, when you place a backorder it shows as a bid which means you will tip off people who sort by bids.

The other caveat is currently we let people use a backorder on a .co domain. Our cost on these is higher than the backorder price so if we see anyone abusing this, using backorders in bulk to grab .co domains we will block you from the auctions because this winds up costing us money. We have decided to keep it available on .co domains but we watch it closely for abuse. Anyone reading this, don't be that "guy" who ruins it for everyone by making our backorders not work on .co domains stick to buying one in a blue moon this way if you have to use it on one, but we'd prefer you don't use it as it costs us money.

Here is the current bulk pricing for Backorders.

Here is the bulk pricing for backorders:
1-19 credits - $15.50 each

20-49 credits - $12.40 each Save 20%‡

50-99 credits - $11.63 each Save 25%‡

100+ credits - $10.85 each Save 30%‡

•••
People do quite often place backorders on expired domains. I just gave a more full explanation of why in the thread.

•••
People do quite often place backorders on expired domains.
Idk. I’ve participated in probably thousands of auctions and never been offered the domain as 2nd highest bidder. This tells me that buyers most always pay the end price when great domains are at stake.

There are also glitches where not even my rep knows what’s going on. I got cannabud via bo when it was expired and there wasn’t an auction at all. Seems like GoDaddy has too many loopholes but if I’m choosing a registrar to go with, it’s you!

•••
I really wish all thee backorders loopholes were closed out, because there are only a few people who are taking advantage of them. I have passed on some second chance offers, so I knew they leave the option before 24 hours, anytime you get the chance, and you want it take it right away.

That was a $700 domain one minute, and a $20 domain the next, that is unreal.

So is the high bidder suspended for life? Or just until they can get a new ip, and disposable credit card?

•••

You have not explained why the email told him 24 hours and you guys,shady as usual, picked an arbitrary hour to rescind his offer. I don’t care if you don’t have to——- the point is you did——and then you didn’t abide by the time period given to him in your own email. @DomainBarracksRob is satisfied but my point is we can’t count on you guys for consistent behavior on anything.

Last edited:
•••
You have not explained why the email told him 24 hours and you guys,shady as usual, picked an arbitrary hour to rescind his offer. I don’t care if you don’t have to——- the point is you did——and then you didn’t abide by the time period given to him in your own email. @DomainBarracksRob is satisfied but my point is we can’t count on you guys for consistent behavior on anything.
I reviewed one of my second chance emails and the wording is WITHIN 24 hours, not IN 24 hours, which is very confusing, but I guess it can be argued 2 different ways.

•••
within means anytime but not later than 24 hours. So he should have been given the full 24 hours.

•••

I wouldn’t say I’m satisfied, I do feel a bit screwed over, but not by Joe or Support but by GD itself and it’s Email. Yes as @wwwweb and @Recons.Com pointed out, it is mis-leading and left to question! I “felt” I had a full 24hrs and believed I read it correctly. The wording should be changed. I’m just trying to stay respectful . The good here is I learned something the bad is I was not able to get the name .

I do hope they will adjust the email OR the way GD auctions conducts their “2nd chances “.

Hope the new owner enjoys the fruits of publicity this thread and we have created on the name.

Last edited:
•••
Whelp ....it is now listed and Lander set at Undeveloped for $9,800 usd

Good Luck to the new owner! They got one hell of a deal.

Last edited:
•••
I did, I apologized and said we can make the emails more clear and I will work on it.

•••
To all you canna buyers, be careful.

I got my fourth second chance offer on a cannabis name this month.

More rogue bidders playing, but not paying.

•••
Why doesn't the poll allow less than $xxx?

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back