Dynadot

URL redirect to affiliate question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Newbie question

Is it possible to have your domain URL just redirect to an affiliate website, instead of first landing on your domain URL page and then hoping for the visitor to click a link to get to your affiliate?

If this is possible, how would this strategy compare to just parking your page and looking for PPC revenue? Many variables but wondering if anyone has gone both routes and can share their opinion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The answer is yes and no:

Yes: You can park and make money with some sites like afternic.com and sedo.com

No: Other affiliate programs require that you have an ID in order to track per click commission. Redirect the URL does not carry the ID.

•••
Yes it is actually possible to redirect to the affiliate site.

Eg. The affiliate will give you a link. Just redirect to the link

www.someaffiliatesite.com/?affID=12345

The above is just an example.

One good thing about this is this seems transparent to the visitors, if the visitor buy the product from the site, you earn commission. Of cause you need to have a targeted traffic to be successful.

•••
Does the affiliate that allows the redirect as above first take a look at your web site to see if it a good fit for their product line?
If you just have lets say a domain name but no web site and the domain is only set to redirect to the affiliate site, will the affiliate be Ok with this or generally turn this down?

•••
what I did is one of two ways:

1) the enter to a banner or storefront page that also says "Welcome to Barnes & Noble"

2)They click straight through.

Just letting you know though. If your doing this on Google.. the benefites BARLY pay the overhead on that one. and..google gets a bit pissy.

•••
•••
Thanks meljr;

Does sending your parked domain to your affiliate link proceed in the following 2 steps? :
1-parked domain URL redirect to affiliate link
2-affiliate link URL redirect to affiliate URL

Is this all transparent to most visitors?

•••
rak147, the affiliate does not always adjust the link after the forwarding. For example I could have forwarded the mel1.com site to another affiliate link I have at

http://mall.dotstartup.com/?ralph099

If I had of, then it just comes up as the link. On my dotstartup.com link as long as my ralph099 name is there I get the affiliate sale.

So after you register your names you can go to you control panel and forward your names to any link you want.

Does that help?

meljr

•••
Thanks. I was wondering if the affiliate company in order to approve you expects you to have a regular web site from which a user can click on a link to the affiliate site, as opposed to simply having a domain name which redirects to the affiliate site.

•••
I have just come up with this brilliant (ahem) idea myself and I find that it works best with merchants that auto-approve. CJ is full of them. Sometimes you just want to sign up for a handful of possible programs until you find one with a good commission (say, 10% or higher) who auto-approves.

Voila, you use your registrar's forwarding service and use your affiliate link to drive them straight the merchant's site.

I love the idea although I personally have not made a dime off it yet. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back