Dynadot

Update to Dynadot's Expired Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We’d like to share an update about Dynadot’s Expired Auctions. Following customer feedback, we have decided to update our expired auction end times. Starting August 26, 2019, 0:00 UTC, auction end times will be between 9:00 PST to 13:30 PST. This change will help streamline the closing of auctions, allowing our customers to bid in our auctions within a consistent and reliable time frame. This will only impact new auctions, existing auction end times will not be modified. We love hearing from you, so if you have any additional feedback please feel free to send it to [email protected] or ask away on this thread.

This is a sponsored thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They even can make money out of user's money in fact.
Probably not a very high revenue, but with thousands of $, it may be worth it..
When you operate a business, and have day to day capital needs, and have hundreds of thousands, if not millions sitting in account credits being unused is money in your bank account until spent by the user, if ever. Having access to that kind of cashflow especially in an Internet business really does help.

•••
GoDaddy Auctions holds your money even few weeks before payout...
So Dynadot is not the worst case definitely.

•••
When you operate a business, and have day to day capital needs, and have hundreds of thousands, if not millions sitting in account credits being unused is money in your bank account until spent by the user, if ever. Having access to that kind of cashflow especially in an Internet business really does help.
As long as the funds stay more or less the same everyday (or increase), They can invest them with no risk and that's free money

•••
You have 48h to pay...
As alternative workaround - pay for those auctions only within remaining 1-2 hours.
From my experience, almost all such domainers renew/transfer their auctioned expires within 24h after the end of auction.
So just don't pay immediately... wait for the last allowed hours...

•••
Hello,

We will still allow the registrant their full grace renewal period. They only change that is currently being made is the auction end time.

Best Regards

Yeah, but you add 10 USD late renewal fee after 29th day after epiration (even if nobody bids on it).

•••
Expired domains enter into auction in the last 10 days of grace renewal period. The auction lasts for 7 days. So, there are a few days the original registrant can renew the domain. We understand that other registrars do this differently but we do give the registrant their full grace renewal period. We try to be fair to both sides. The $10 late renewal fee was also introduced in 2017 to discourage renewals of domains after an expired auction had started. Unfortunately we cannot hold auctions after the end of the registrant's grace renewal period as the domain would have entered the redemption period, and would need to be restored at a much higher cost before being added to the auction winner's account.

The issue with Uniregistry domains that had already been renewed still being listed in our expired auctions has since been resolved, if anyone noticed a renewed domain listed for auction we would greatly appreciate it if you could let us know, and we'll have our team investigate that.

•••
Expired domains enter into auction in the last 10 days of grace renewal period. The auction lasts for 7 days. So, there are a few days the original registrant can renew the domain. We understand that other registrars do this differently but we do give the registrant their full grace renewal period. We try to be fair to both sides. The $10 late renewal fee was also introduced in 2017 to discourage renewals of domains after an expired auction had started. Unfortunately we cannot hold auctions after the end of the registrant's grace renewal period as the domain would have entered the redemption period, and would need to be restored at a much higher cost before being added to the auction winner's account.

The issue with Uniregistry domains that had already been renewed still being listed in our expired auctions has since been resolved, if anyone noticed a renewed domain listed for auction we would greatly appreciate it if you could let us know, and we'll have our team investigate that.

I emailed in, waiting on reply but:

"The expired domain auction for ------------.com has been cancelled because the original registrant has renewed the domain.

If you have already sent payment, we will automatically credit it to your Dynadot account as account credit."

When this happens at GoDaddy, they send the money back to my bank account. Is that possible here? I didn't want to have money stuck at Dynadot.

•••

"The expired domain auction for ------------.com has been cancelled because the original registrant has renewed the domain.

If you have already sent payment, we will automatically credit it to your Dynadot account as account credit."

When this happens at GoDaddy, they send the money back to my bank account. Is that possible here? I didn't want to have money stuck at Dynadot.
Why is it so hard for Dynadot to delay auction endings, to a point where the owners can’t redeem. Fine you want to give owners full grace renewal time, but then ask for payment after that, or end auction 1 min after that point?

Don’t use user credits to finance your business operations.

It’s like we hear you, but we don’t hear you.

How long is this stupidity going to continue for?

Last edited:
•••
There is so much that I love about Dynadot, but it is strange they don't realize how annoying this is to the very domain investors that they try to attract...

•••
You have 48h to pay...
As alternative workaround - pay for those auctions only within remaining 1-2 hours.
I do the same......I also check whois record to check if domain has been renewed ....I find it laughable that some people still bid on a name that has an active webpage.....and FYI even though Dynadot refund money from a won auction that gets renewed and credits that money to your account they are obliged to return that money to yourpal cc etc via a simple request .....this is part of their t and s and they cannot keep your money as account credit in such situations but you must request funds be returned to source or they will happily keep money as store credit .....hope this helps .

•••
Starting August 26, 2019, 0:00 UTC, auction end times will be between 9:00 PST to 13:30 PST.
Can you please clarify when does this actually apply in real time, as even today I see some expired domain auctions ending outside these hours?

•••

Our team can refund these payments to your original payment method, did you receive a reply from our team? If they have received your email, then the payment should now have been refunded to your original payment method.

•••
Why is it so hard for Dynadot to delay auction endings, to a point where the owners can’t redeem. Fine you want to give owners full grace renewal time, but then ask for payment after that, or end auction 1 min after that point?

Don’t use user credits to finance your business operations.

It’s like we hear you, but we don’t hear you.

How long is this stupidity going to continue for?
It isn't possible for us to hold auctions or end auctions after the end of the registrant's grace renewal period unfortunately, as the domain would enter it's redemption period and could not be renewed as normal.

•••

Let me update this. I apparently hit Draft instead of Send so I sent another email at 1:41 AM, I got a reply 15 minutes later at 1:56 am saying they will refund the money to original payment method.

Impressive quick reply.

•••
@Dynadot

Why do you place expired .io domains to an auction when there is just 1 backorder?

This has happened to me few times already. It is not fair, and nobody does that.

I’m not going to place backorders just to let everyone piggyback on me.

Last edited:
•••
Guys If you need your money back, on a cancelled auction make sure you don’t add it to your account, but pay for the auction directly. I found this out the hard way, when I added funds, then used them to pay for an auction that was cancelled. When I tried to get funds returned, I was told well you used account funds, so no dice.

Also i was involved in an auction where the high bidder did not pay, and I was sent an invoice to pay within 24 hours, what is not clear on Dynadot is that it seems they require second highest bidder to follow thru, and pay. Also first top deadbeat bidders bids are not erased so if you and the top bidder took it from $2000 to $5000, you would be required to pay $4900, because they state that the top bidders intentions were good, even though they didn’t pay, or maybe didn’t have the money to bid. This is a very dangerous methodology.

•••
Guys If you need your money back, on a cancelled auction make sure you don’t add it to your account, but pay for the auction directly. I found this out the hard way, when I added funds, then used them to pay for an auction that was cancelled. When I tried to get funds returned, I was told well you used account funds, so no dice.

Also i was involved in an auction where the high bidder did not pay, and I was sent an invoice to pay within 24 hours, what is not clear on Dynadot is that it seems they require second highest bidder to follow thru, and pay. Also first top deadbeat bidders bids are not erased so if you and the top bidder took it from $2000 to $5000, you would be required to pay $4900, because they state that the top bidders intentions were good, even though they didn’t pay, or maybe didn’t have the money to bid. This is a very dangerous methodology.

Too many pitfalls... Thanks for posting.

•••
Dynadot must hide all auction data at least for Expired Auctions.
It should be visible only for bidders of those auctions. PRIVATE AUCTIONS in other words.
I don't see any better solution.

That won't work. All the owner has to do is place the initial minimum bid to watch it then.

The real fix is to reduce the grade period from 45 to 35 days. Run the action between day 35 and 45.

•••
@Dynadot

Why do you place expired .io domains to an auction when there is just 1 backorder?

This has happened to me few times already. It is not fair, and nobody does that.

I’m not going to place backorders just to let everyone piggyback on me.
We don't hold backorder auctions if only one request has been made, if only one request has been made then we would just create an order for the domain in that person's account. When a backorder auction is created it will always show one bidder, as we only automatically place one bid and this will not update unless other user's bid on the auction. The number of bidders shown is not the number of requests that were made for the domain, only the number of active bidders on the auction. We don't make the number of backorder requests placed public.

We don't require the second highest bidder on our auctions to pay for the order, there's no obligation to do so and your account would not be affected by non-payment. Our team can check the auction and remove bids they believe to be shill bidders, but due to the time constraints with expired domain auctions we would need to ask you to contact our team as soon as possible regarding the order so they can investigate that properly.

•••
When a backorder auction is created it will always show one bidder, as we only automatically place one bid and this will not update unless other user's bid on the auction. The number of bidders shown is not the number of requests that were made for the domain, only the number of active bidders on the auction. We don't make the number of backorder requests placed public.

Well, it’s confusing then.

I placed a $125 backorder for a domain, and I can now see the auction is running with 1 bidder, the highest bid is $124.99 and I’ve been outbid :xf.eek: (see the screenshot)

As I understand there should be at least 2 bidders — myself and someone else with higher bid (or late backorder).

Another confusing thing is that I don’t see these backorder auctions in your iOS app. Why don’t you place it under My Account -> Watchlist and/or My Auction Bids?

Attachments

• 3D79E155-886B-427E-8D6A-B224EACD6E0C.jpeg
    3D79E155-886B-427E-8D6A-B224EACD6E0C.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 92
•••

Every time original registrant renews own domain on Dynadot. (When I won auctions on your system) So I left your expired auctions 1-2 years ago. Waste of time.

•••
Well, it’s confusing then.

I placed a $125 backorder for a domain, and I can now see the auction is running with 1 bidder, the highest bid is $124.99 and I’ve been outbid :xf.eek: (see the screenshot)

As I understand there should be at least 2 bidders — myself and someone else with higher bid (or late backorder).

Another confusing thing is that I don’t see these backorder auctions in your iOS app. Why don’t you place it under My Account -> Watchlist and/or My Auction Bids?
Only the first person to request the backorder would have a bid automatically placed, so it may be that you were not the first person to place the request and our system us showing 'outbid' as you had placed a request, but someone else is currently the only bidder. Would it be possible to PM us the domain name and your username so we could check and confirm that?

•••
Only the first person to request the backorder would have a bid automatically placed, so it may be that you were not the first person to place the request and our system us showing 'outbid' as you had placed a request, but someone else is currently the only bidder. Would it be possible to PM us the domain name and your username so we could check and confirm that?

I’ve sent you a PM.

•••
I’ve sent you a PM.

Thank you for sending the PM. We have clarified the situation for you in our reply.

Best Regards,
Jordan Kai

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back