IT.COM

domains Unstoppable no longer offering .coin

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
... We became aware of a potential collision with our .coin top-level domain and the .coin domain issued by Emercoin, a blockchain platform. After a careful review, we’ve decided that the best path forward is to stop supporting .coin domains.

We don’t make this decision lightly and we know it isn’t ideal. That’s why we’re offering .coin domain owners credits of three times what they paid. We also wanted to share how we came to this choice and why we’re so committed to resolving naming collisions – even when it’s painful.

What we found in our investigation

When we launched .coin in 2021, we weren’t aware of this naming collision. Emercoin, the platform issuing .coin domains, hadn’t marketed their TLD extensively, making it difficult to find. As soon as this collision came to our attention, we stopped selling .coin domains while we investigated the issue.

read more

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm sure that this is a great loss to at least 4 people

•••
•••
Can I also point out that they are called unstoppable domains and they stopped .coin. They could change the name to stoppable domains... If someone hasn't already used it.

•••
Unstoppable Domains stops over 116,000 domains as alt-root TLD goes dark

Blockchain alt-root provider Unstoppable Domains has taken a huge credibility hit with its decision to essentially turn off one of its TLDs, rendering over 116,000 domains pretty much useless.

Unstoppable said Tuesday that it has stopped selling .coin domains and would immediately stop supporting their resolution. The names would no longer work with the over 500 cryptocurrency wallets, apps and services that integrate with Unstoppable, the company said.

Read more:

https://domainincite.com/28356-unst...over-116000-domains-as-alt-root-tld-goes-dark

•••
... We became aware of a potential collision with our .coin top-level domain and the .coin domain issued by Emercoin, a blockchain platform. After a careful review, we’ve decided that the best path forward is to stop supporting .coin domains.

We don’t make this decision lightly and we know it isn’t ideal. That’s why we’re offering .coin domain owners credits of three times what they paid. We also wanted to share how we came to this choice and why we’re so committed to resolving naming collisions – even when it’s painful.

What we found in our investigation

When we launched .coin in 2021, we weren’t aware of this naming collision. Emercoin, the platform issuing .coin domains, hadn’t marketed their TLD extensively, making it difficult to find. As soon as this collision came to our attention, we stopped selling .coin domains while we investigated the issue.

read more
But, but, but "decentralized"!!! No one can take your domain away...blockchain, or whatever.
(INSERT MORE TRENDY BUZZ WORDS HERE) :ROFL:

ICANN will come in, and just roll right over this nonsense when they delegate these extensions that work on actual root servers. No special software or settings needed.

This has been tried before, several times. This time it is just in a shiny new package.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, Lox. I think that was a well laid-out article by UD. I wonder if this could set a precedent:
That’s why we’ve decided to stop support for .coin on the Unstoppable system. We believe the platform with the first commercial use should have the rights to that domain ending, and in this case, we believe Emercoin is that platform.
if it gets turned around on ICANN in the same shoes. Name collision in crypto payments would be an issue, but there is no danger of that with current ICANN domains.

UD also took into consideration:
Through our investigation, we found that Emercoin registered their first .coin domains in 2014, gained some market penetration, and built an integration in a reputable application: OpenNIC. We’re committed to protecting our customers from the risk of functional collision.
in their decision.

There is this message from Emercoin's latest news page:
We see that the Unstoppable domain is deprecating its .coin zone https://unstoppabledomains.com/blog/coin

We understand your concerns and are ready to offer a solution that will help your users.
If the offer is interesting, please contact us at *** @ *** from the official address at the domain @unstoppabledomains.com
which seems to be an interesting reaction of sorts to the decision.

•••
ICANN will come in, and just roll right over this nonsense when they delegate these extensions that work on actual root servers. No special software or settings needed.

I've dabbled on Unstoppable, securing matching domains in king... any recommendations on which wallet (extension) to mint, one that would best stand the test of time? (I also posted a thread on the subject).

Cheers :beaver:

Last edited:
•••
Let this be a reminder that just because something is blockchain-based does not mean it is a smart investment.

•••
What's most ironic is that they themselves use the .com: unstoppabledomains.com

Last edited:
•••
They need something that actually resolves without special software or settings. :)

Brad

•••

True that. One would think their .com domain would resolve to a blockchain extension. :unsure:

•••
They need something that actually resolves without special software or settings. :)

Brad
And nobody would build a business on something that could just get shut down.

•••
And now I quote self from the thread "future of HNS"

I see lots of conflicts and law suits on the way.

Last edited:
•••
I will keep hodling because their name is unstoppable so it must be true

In the real world a sucker is born every minute

In the metaverse, there is a sucker born every nano second

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back