IT.COM

advice Unsolicited, brokered offer on domain potentially tied to high end project

NameSilo
Watch

DomaineerInc

Established Member
Impact
Received a brokered, unsolicited low-ball offer on a domain I've owned for many years and nearly forgot about it. It's a 2 word dot com. Piqued my curiosity and discovered that a developer has spent nearly $1 billion constructing, and nearing completion on (within 1 year), a project consisting of hundreds of residential luxury condos (none lower than $1M and a couple of the penthouses have sold for just under $10M), with retail/dining tenants including a very high end restaurant and anchored by an upscale, internationally known hotel. The developer, real estate brokers, hotel, and restaurant all are referring to the project and name of the building by the two word name I own in their marketing but using a fairly generic domain for marketing in the case of the developer/real estate office. Do I counter and at what price? Or just publically set a premium BIN price. On the one hand there may be only a handful of buyers that the name even has meaning for, on the other I'm also a real estate broker and could develop the site and have new traffic coming in based on the name (one word is geo specific) that I can convert to real estate sales/commissions in the general area. Torn on what to do but leaning towards setting a high BIN and developing if not met? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just an observation, brokered offer may mean that you'll be forced to use a particular processing which may not be practical for you. For example, domainagents work via escrow dot com (because this is how they receive their commisson)

•••
Upvote 0
Just an observation, brokered offer may mean that you'll be forced to use a particular processing which may not be practical for you. For example, domainagents work via escrow dot com (because this is how they receive their commisson)
Yes, thanks. In this case it's actually the registrar's broker dept but over a certain amount goes through escrow dot com or at least used to.

•••
Upvote 0
If its super lowball its probably another domainer who knows about this project you mentioned. Contrary to some opinions, people hiding behind a broker from a registrar or an affordable escrow service like domain agents do not generally come bearing good budgets. You did not specify the registrar.

Also the “broker” is working for them not you.

I think your lander with premium price at the place of your choosing is the way to go. You can always filter offers from there too.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
If its super lowball its probably another domainer who knows about this project you mentioned.
Very likely. I owned a domain once, rare 1 word. At some point of time, one company branded this term as their product. They tried to purchase it from me cheap, but there was no deal. OK, I was 100% safe from udrp or anything - even though G search output started to be almost exclusively about this company, I regged the domain before. Later, the domain was sold, and I subsequently found that the new owner is another domainer who simply paid my asking price. Shooting the moon? Yeah, why not. I'm fine with it. The problem of another domainer is that he isn't safe from udrp, as he obviously acquired the domain with this company in mind...

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
If its super lowball its probably another domainer who knows about this project you mentioned.

Indeed I've been caught out that way several times in the past. The concern I would have with this domain, is you need to sell it while it's Hot, That may well give you a while but it's not going to be forever.
Time to really get your negotiating head on, Or even do what the potential buyer has done and get your own broker to handle the negotiations. I'm sure they'll know if it's Hot enough to be worth their time.

•••
Upvote 0
If its super lowball its probably another domainer who knows about this project you mentioned. Contrary to some opinions, people hiding behind a broker from a registrar or an affordable escrow service like domain agents do not generally come bearing good budgets. You did not specify the registrar.

Also the “broker” is working for them not you.

I think your lander with premium price at the place of your choosing is the way to go. You can always filter offers from there too.
Thanks! Leaning that direction.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back