Dynadot

Uniregistry sign-up push to inquires at DomainNameSales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arca

Top Member
Impact
I was making some changes to my DomainNameSales sales landing page, and noticed that if anyone fills in their contact information to get a price quote now, they are not sent to the “negotiation” page directly, but get a Uniregistry pop-up window with a sign-up form, urging them to sign up for an account with Uniregistry (they need to either close it or sign-up to get to the negotiation page).

I have not joined the “Uniregistry Affiliate Plus Program”, and I am not interested in having DNS use inquiries on my domains to push Uniregistry account sign-ups. Does anyone know if it is possible to disable this Uniregistry sign-up form on DNS inquiries? I've looked through all the settings, but I am not participating in any Uniregistry affiliate program, so I am not sure why a Uniregistry pop-up it appears.

I wonder if in the future they will require everyone to sign up with Uniregistry before they can inquire about domains parked with the "new" DNS (since DNS will soon be integrated with, and move "inside" of, Uniregistry).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Greetings Arca. We do not (and will not) require anyone to sign-up with Uniregistry before they can inquire about domain names parked with the new DNS (to be called the "Uniregistry Market"). All inquiries placed by users from a parking page contact-form are sent unfiltered with all supporting user data to the seller's inbox after a buyer/user presses submit.

That will not change with our new migration, however once our migration completes at year end, buyers will need to have a Uniregistry account (pwd) to read replies from you, to negotiate payment methods and to clear transactions. That is a change from the way DNS operates today and we are now prompting users to create an account after inquiry, so they will easily be able to communicate with you in future. Prompting that change today creates a pipeline of buyer accounts so you will be able to continue to negotiate with your buyers via email, (without a formal login) once our migration completes. Without an account, users will not be able to click the link or reply to/read sales responses and we will need to prompt them to sign up after the fact, slowing them down.

The present DNS system lets buyers interact with sellers, without verifying themselves and without charge. Much of that functionality will remain after our migration, but Uniregistry will offer different financial tools than DNS, including some industry-first innovations and that system will require both parties to be known to the system via a one-time user name and password to bind an email address with an account, to mitigate the fraud-risk that comes with those new tools.

Whether at Facebook, LinkedIn, Google or any other web-based technology platform, a user account is the minimum identification all users must accept in order to use the tools a platform offers. Uniregistry is no different and there will be no way to opt out of that process flow.

•••
I hope this will be thoroughly tested on Frank's portfolio first to determine whether this will have a serious impact on sales. Impulse or fleeting buyers may not be committed enough or feel safe enough to create an account simply to discuss a potential purchase. This stands to be seen, but those buyers shouldn't be overlooked; they're still important, because they occasionally add to the bottom line.

The DomainNameSales platform is great, and in a perfect world, it would not change in a potentially prohibitive or counterproductive manner.

I'm optimistic and trust that Uniregistry will do what's best for domainers.

•••
Thank-you for your trust. We certainly do not want to betray it or disappoint our users. Your inquiries will run on the same infrastructure and in the same way Frank uses it. Our internal mandate (goal) is to maintain or increase our average sales price while increasing the velocity of transactions from the lead-stream and to facilitate real time BIN and intra/inter registrar transfers.

•••
Thank you.

Let's also keep Frank's words of wisdom in mind:

The problem with all these MLS / DLS distributed networks is that it does get your names in front of lots of buyers but it commoditizes the value of your registration. The buyers didn’t come to the DLS or MLS. they entered your name! They want YOUR NAME .. and they are going to find YOUR NAME without the network. The network is the problem […] Anybody can create a machine for burning your furniture.

Quoted at http://acro.net/blog/get-in-control-of-your-domain-assets/

•••
Greetings Arca. We do not (and will not) require anyone to sign-up with Uniregistry before they can inquire about domain names parked with the new DNS (to be called the "Uniregistry Market"). All inquiries placed by users from a parking page contact-form are sent unfiltered with all supporting user data to the seller's inbox after a buyer/user presses submit.

That will not change with our new migration, however once our migration completes at year end, buyers will need to have a Uniregistry account (pwd) to read replies from you, to negotiate payment methods and to clear transactions. That is a change from the way DNS operates today and we are now prompting users to create an account after inquiry, so they will easily be able to communicate with you in future. Prompting that change today creates a pipeline of buyer accounts so you will be able to continue to negotiate with your buyers via email, (without a formal login) once our migration completes. Without an account, users will not be able to click the link or reply to/read sales responses and we will need to prompt them to sign up after the fact, slowing them down.

The present DNS system lets buyers interact with sellers, without verifying themselves and without charge. Much of that functionality will remain after our migration, but Uniregistry will offer different financial tools than DNS, including some industry-first innovations and that system will require both parties to be known to the system via a one-time user name and password to bind an email address with an account, to mitigate the fraud-risk that comes with those new tools.

Whether at Facebook, LinkedIn, Google or any other web-based technology platform, a user account is the minimum identification all users must accept in order to use the tools a platform offers. Uniregistry is no different and there will be no way to opt out of that process flow.
Thanks for your reply.

Saying that you “do not (and will not) require anyone to sign-up with Uniregistry before they can inquire about domain names parked with the new DNS” seems to contradict the subsequent statement that “buyers will need to have a Uniregistry account (pwd) to read replies from you, to negotiate payment methods and to clear transactions”.

Although it will be possible to submit an inquiry without signing up, it will not possible to receive a reply or make an offer without signing up, so for the inquiry process/platform to become functional, the buyer will be required to sign up first (if I understand this correctly).

While I understand the reasoning behind requiring buyers to sign-up with Uniregistry first, I will miss the current DNS inquiry pages, as they offer the path of least resistance to potential buyers (and more inquires than when parked with companies that need the buyer to go through a sign-up process first).

Also, looking forward to see the “industry-first innovations” that will be introduced with the merge. DNS in its current form is already a great platform (and hopefully most of the features currently available on the platform will be carried over to the Uniregistry market).

Last edited:
•••
We're using Domainnamesales to outsource brokerage of our (mostly) dot com domains that are worth brokerage, in particular with the BIN of around $2000 or more which is what DomainNameSales itself recommends. This experience have been positive. Brokers are very professional .

In light of planned changes, can Uniregistry please consider the following:

There is no need to "fix" what already works. Planned intergration of 2 platforms would be much more useful on sellers end, such as for example for pre-authorizing auto pushes of our Uniregistry-regged domains that are sold. OK, asking the potential buyer to signup/login to negotiation platform is not wrong by itself. What is wrong is the following - with all due respect to Frank and Uniregistry, I do NOT want to promote new extensions (or anything else) to potential buyers of my dotcoms, which WILL happen after the integration as I see it. Indeed, current uniregistry platform actively promotes new gtlds, most notably which are "owned" by Uniregistry, including domains with registry-set premium pricing. Furthermore, not all brokered domains are necessary regged with uniregistry and some may not even be eligible to be transferred to uniregistry due to 60 days lock. For such domains, asking the buyer to signup with registrar platform does not make any sense.
So, if there are any other reasons for asking a potential buyer to setup an account for brokerage purposes - its fine, but please DO NOT FORCE them to do so - enabling "login with facebook" and similar buttons is a must thing.

As for integration, not all domains are worth brokers time and efforts, in particular domains which have firm BIN price in any range. We also have domains that are worth 3 figures or low 4 figures only, these domains are now on sale through various instant transfer platforms such as godaddy premium listings, sedo mls etc. And they are selling themselves just fine. Adding the similar to Uniregistry would not harm. It would be extremely important to set as many distribution channels as possible, such as sending listings to godaddy to begin with, with an instant transfer enabled. Of course, as the result, the new platform will need to offer an opportunity to purchase the domains by paying their fixed bin price directly to uniregistry (no escrow) and some sort of customer support will still be needed. Support would NOT broker anything, and responding with templates "the price is fixed" should be completely fine.
This will add more activity to the new integrated platform and will save valuable time of DNS brokers to better process other leads.

Other improvements we'd suggest are:

- For higher commission, let the brokers initiate new leads and actively search for buyers (vs. processing only buyer-initiated leads which happens now)

- Current setup "use DNS as the only broker" is very "lead hungry", it promptly takes inquiries with unconfirmed (including mistyped and obviously nonexistent) emails and also sends inquiries from a number of countries with statistically lower purchasing power to manual processing in the very beginning (vs. first auto-responding with "please make an offer" template). As the result, both our (sellers) time, and, more importantly, brokers time, is not spent in optimal way. Should be fixed somehow...

- Multi-language processing. Even though DNS website states that there are brokers speaking 10(?) languages, so far only chinese leads are instantly delivered to chinese-speaking brokers. And even in this case, auto-reminders ("are you on vacation?") are in English. Leads from Spanish- and German- speaking countries still may be processed by English-speaking brokers, even though DNS websites states that there are brokers speaking Spanish and German. Should be fixed.
And such an imporant language as French is missed.

- After the multi-language processing is set, it would not harm to show "this domain is for sale" banner on buyers language (if supported by brokers)

- System of sending commercial offers to the buyers AFTER they purchased our domain should be rechecked. For example, asking a buyer who already received a push within Uniregistry - "Did you hear about Uniregistry?" 1 month later is illogical. And, such instant communications offering whatever extra product or service should probably include an affiliate link of the domainer who sold their domain on DNS platform to this buyer.

- Assuming that "advertising provider" does not require their ads to be shown to each and every visitor, it would make sense to offer an option to show "for sale" no-ads lander to mobile visitors, still showing parking ads + forsale banner to desktop visitors. Reason: surfer from mobile device may not notice small forsale banner at all. And, about 30%-40% of worldwide websurfing is now mobile.

Last edited:
•••
DNS is profiting off of your traffic by pushing Uniregistry right now to incoming inquiries. You or the broker still get the inquiry lead information, but buyers are not taken directly to the negotiation page. That's completely fine if you are working leads yourself since the DNS platform is free in that situation, but it is not okay if you are working with their brokers and getting charged 15% commissions.

•••
YES, indeed. If one goes to "request free price quote" page - the system will promptly receive buyers contact details and show the following:

Inquiry Received

Thanks for your inquiry. <ASSIGNED BROKERS NAME>, your Domain Broker, will be in touch shortly.

Now, for some great news - DomainNameSales will be merging with Uniregistry and we're pretty excited about it.

Uniregistry offers:

Instant registrations with no fuss
Domain tools that really 'just work'
Transfers made easy, never miss a beat
Customer service that's second to none
Why not join us and start managing your domains the way pros do?

It is full-screen banner. A visitor may close it though, and only after closing they will see a contact broker page with an opportunity to submit an offer.

•••
For most buyers, relations between Uniregistry and DomainNamesSales are irrelevant. So, why tell them "DomainNameSales will be merging with Uniregistry"? Many buyers do not even understand the difference between the seller and escrow.com, I still remember how the buyers scanned and e-mailed famous "credit card authorization form" (an escrow requirement some time ago) to our - sellers! - email address.

It is not only that promoting Uniregistry to potential buyers of OUR domains would not help selling OUR domains. Ironically, but it is likely that Uniregistry will not see any noticeable difference in their retail sales. Here is the proof, Michael Berkens / thedomains.com posted the following:

www thedomains com/2014/04/29/uniregstrys-affiliate-program-to-date-5367-clicks-no-transactions-no-revenue/

===
We turned on the Uniregisty’s Affiliate program about 10 days ago, that places a banner on the bottom of parked pages marketing new gTLD’s registrations.

So far the results have been less than impressive

As you can see below we have had almost 5,500 clicks, no transactions and no revenue.
===

•••
I was making some changes to my DomainNameSales sales landing page, and noticed that if anyone fills in their contact information to get a price quote now, they are not sent to the “negotiation” page directly, but get a Uniregistry pop-up window with a sign-up form
I have the same issue...
Dear @Uniregistry could you please disable this "feature". Most online users don't like pop-ups.

Thanks.

•••
The problem is not solved..
I'll forward all my domains to my own site.

•••

So Uniregistry is using our leads to get them to sign up with Uniregistry.

Do we get paid affiliate income for the people who sign up for Uniregistry through our domains?

•••
Do we get paid affiliate income for the people who sign up for Uniregistry through our domains?
Of course not but they will steal our data and pass it off as their own at every chance they get!

•••
I moved hundreds of my names out of DNS this year. Found the Uniregistry site unintuitive and too complexed to follow, lost trust that they were interested in optimising my sales potential, having brokers suddenly offering to find MY buyer an alternative extension, complete BS. Which is a shame as I've worked with some great brokers too and had some decent sales with them over the last two years, but I think it's become too self serving and as I mentioned, they've lost my trust.

Last edited:
•••
Today I submitted an inquiry for one of my domains listed as buy now or make offer, for the low $xxx. Been redirected to the broker. Five minutes late got an email from them ( to the address I provided in inquiry form) :

"My name is Xx xx and I am a Domain Broker representing the owner of xx xx.com.

Our client has requested that I bring serious offers above $2,000.00 United States Dollars to open negotiations.

Please be advised that the minimum offer might not necessarily be the price. Give me a call at my phone number below.

Review & Respond Online

Kind Regards."

Moving out from there.....

•••
Today I submitted an inquiry for one of my domains listed as buy now or make offer, for the low $xxx. Been redirected to the broker. Five minutes late got an email from them ( to the address I provided in inquiry form) :

"My name is Xx xx and I am a Domain Broker representing the owner of xx xx.com.

Our client has requested that I bring serious offers above $2,000.00 United States Dollars to open negotiations.

Please be advised that the minimum offer might not necessarily be the price. Give me a call at my phone number below.

Review & Respond Online

Kind Regards."

Moving out from there.....

So what are you saying? You have the domain listed at 3 figure BIN and they're trying to hijack the lead by sabotaging a potential sale? Please clarify. Thanks

•••
•••
2k is the default account setting unless you change it, which they told me can now only be done via the global settings at Uniregistry, which requires you to link your DNS account to a Uniregistry one.

If that default overrides what you set for a domain, or a broker does, we have a problem.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I checked domain settings at uniregistry. It has 2k min offer by default. Carob, thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
•••
I have changed the min offer settings to $100. The inquiry form steel redirecting to the brokerage service.

•••
Back