IT.COM

registrars Uniregistry breaks record - Over 1.5 Million registrations in a single day

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
"This was an amazing thing to watch," said Frank Schilling, Managing Director of Uniregistry. "I have been in the domain name business for more than 15 years, and I have never seen anything like this in a single day. A mix of new customers to Uniregistry.com and our existing customers bought .xyz names, and other great new extensions, in bulk. We designed our systems for this type of event and are pleased they worked well. These registrants now enjoy the best management tools in the industry for managing their new names."
Schilling noted that sharp domain name investors were leading the registration push. "The most successful domainers leap in when opportunity presents itself," said Schilling. "Low cost domains present a one year runway to refine a domain portfolio that will appeal to the next generation of domain name owners. The internet continues to grow globally, and as new users come online daily, they all will want great domain names. We created tools for domain investors to find and unlock value in these new domain names, and we were gratified to see many of them seize this unique opportunity."..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In nutshell they did a business of FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLAR in one day.

•••
In nutshell they did a business of FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLAR in one day.

It's just not about the business (sale) value. The registry was able to accommodate 1.5 million registrations on a single day. Thats a milestone.

•••
I am not sure who took the bulk of the loss here, Uniregistry or .XYZ, but the headline could also read something like -

"Company loses 7 figures trying to artificially inflate demand by selling 1 cent domain registrations."

I think when Ben Franklin said a penny saved is a penny earned, he was referring to this promotion.
Don't waste money buying this crap.

Brad

•••
Oh, the domains I put on queue 2 days ago are still not done despite money being charged.

•••
I would like to see how many of those 1.5million domains renew this time next year ...lol :)

None the less, it is still a notable achievement to get that sort of volume in a single day without their servers bombing out. So kudos to them...

•••
It's just not about the business (sale) value. The registry was able to accommodate 1.5 million registrations on a single day. Thats a milestone.
Props to their back-end registry service provider.

•••
If the world has never seen such bulk registrations, then automatically, the world is going to witness the biggest flipping's ever.

Many will change hands at 1$ or maybe even less.

Many will be listed in marketplaces, so, eventually, there will be end user sales too and that will lead to newly developed websites. So, there are going to be renewals afterall.

Now the next big thing xyz can do is tie up with companies like Brandbucket. Cant wait.

Last edited:
•••
I would like to see how many of those 1.5million domains renew this time next year ...lol :)

None the less, it is still a notable achievement to get that sort of volume in a single day without their servers bombing out. So kudos to them...
Did you read my comment above?

•••
Did you read my comment above?

Yep, I did.... could be an isolated incident in your case.... unsure of this is an issue that lots of people are having...if it is then FAIL on uniregistry's part.

However If it is an isolated issue then still kudos to them

•••
I am not sure who took the bulk of the loss here, Uniregistry or .XYZ, but the headline could also read something like -

"Company loses 7 figures trying to artificially inflate demand by selling 1 cent domain registrations."

I think when Ben Franklin said a penny saved is a penny earned, he was referring to this promotion.
Don't waste money buying this crap.

Brad

I completely agree. It's all just a big marketing ploy to try to generate "interest" in .xyz. Let's see how many .xyz extensions are renewed or registered once the price goes back up.

Only notable thing is the website/server not crashing. But in my opinion anyone with enough money could do the same.

•••
I have a different angle on this. I may be wrong of course but I think this is quite clever for a completely different reason than trying to artificially inflate.

Here is my theory: they know the xyz is going nowhere, they need to raise $ or recoup as much of their investment as possible, they will try to get as many people to register an xyz domain as possible, and next year when rebill time comes, lets say 20% of the people who registered during the 1cent phase forget to cancel this is potentially more money than they would have ever seen.

•••
From a domain investment perspective. This is a free roll. Essentially 0 risk. Spend $10 for 1,000 domains. Turn off renewals. Anything that sells is a huge win. That said, I didn't register any.

Everything was not smooth. Uniregistry Market was not working properly the last few days. It was taking forever to load pages. Forget about bulk updates. The promotion ended up being a major inconvenience to me.

•••
.XYZ needed to sell a tonne to mask the drops that are about to happen if their renewals don't drop in price... Full credit to them to come up with a plan. I have to give them great credit for that.

This time next year will be very interesting for Uniregistry & .XYZ?

The only way Uniregistry & .XYZ will benefit out of this is they will need to reduce .XYZ renewals to a very low fee this time next year or it wont look good this time next year for either of them?

The reports this next year could be Uniregistry drops over 1 MILLION domains & .XYZ struggles to hold interest?

All the best names are already taken IMO. I would advise following the .XYZ drops and hope to pick up a few decent hand reg from there if it doesn't get picked up by a back ordering system IMO.

I do however wish them all the best although I'm not partaking in this event.

I hold 4 x .XYZ domains and very happy with that amount :)

•••
.XYZ needed to sell a tonne to mask the drops that are about to happen if their renewals don't drop in price... Full credit to them to come up with a plan. I have to give them great credit for that.

This time next year will be very interesting for Uniregistry & .XYZ?

The only way Uniregistry & .XYZ will benefit out of this is they will need to reduce .XYZ renewals to a very low fee this time next year or it wont look good this time next year for either of them?

The reports this next year could be Uniregistry drops over 1 MILLION domains & .XYZ struggles to hold interest?

All the best names are already taken IMO. I would advise following the .XYZ drops and hope to pick up a few decent hand reg from there if it doesn't get picked up by a back ordering system IMO.

I do however wish them all the best although I'm not partaking in this event.

I hold 4 x .XYZ domains and very happy with that amount :)

I think XYZ is buying time. If news is imminent they will want as many people registered as possible. If people can flip $.01 domain names for $100 - $1,000 each it will be a major story, the same way Bitcoin was.

•••
Have wasted 2 hours trying to navigate the uniregistry website on my mobile phone. Not impressed!!!

•••
Have wasted 2 hours trying to navigate the uniregistry website on my mobile phone. Not impressed!!!

I am impressed but I haven't tried their iPhone app.

I am a long-time GoDaddy user and I have tried Namecheap but in terms of their interface, I love Uniregistry the most.

•••
Congratulations! for the unique record.

•••
I am impressed but I haven't tried their iPhone app.

I am a long-time GoDaddy user and I have tried Namecheap but in terms of their interface, I love Uniregistry the most.
Their features are great - provided you are on a pc. On a mobile, it is a disappointment.

•••
Their features are great - provided you are on a pc. On a mobile, it is a disappointment.

I use a Mac Book, an iPhone (not their app) and multiple Android phones. Some of Uniregistry's features aren't as seamless on a mobile phone but neither is GoDaddy.

EXAMPLE:
I have a difficult time listing domain names on GoDaddy Auctions using a mobile phone and GoDaddy is a much older and more reputable company. It is easier to list domains on Uniregistry's Market using a mobile phone than on GoDaddy.

•••

I was unable to log in last time. Didn't retry because my buzz on the xyz thing had already calmed down and no longer interested.

This doesn't mean I don't like Uniregistry. They always seemed like a good company for the last year or two I've known about them but I just had no immediate reason to signup.

You should expect slower than expected browsing experience. There are millions of people on there right now which may be 100 times more than normal. So they are definitely loosing money with all the debt they're incurring with these registries plus the extra server nodes they must be renting right now and all the other extra services they are using probably a lot of them unexpectedly.

Their devops must be in hell right now. Hope they get a good bonus!

•••
so were uniregistry non xyz services slow for some people. i thought it was just me or my connection.

page

•••
so were uniregistry non xyz services slow for some people. i thought it was just me or my connection.

page

It was up-to-speed on June 1st but I didn't try it on June 2nd.

•••
I did not experience any difficulty while registering the names, first day I registered 300 and next day around 150 names with Uniregistry.

•••
Sometimes bulk registrations are slow but overall ok.
1.5 million registrations is really commendable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back