discuss Unique idea to help grow domain industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello and Assalamo Alaikum,

I always think about making our domain industry more stronger than ever. I’ve come up with a simple but great idea and if this can be implemented, it will be helpful for all domainers participating in this great cause.

There are many instances where domainer gets hit with UDRP and just because of lack of funds, he/she is unable to respond back. Although there have been some cases where a domainer been hit with UDRP and don’t even bother responding having loads of $$$ and ends up even losing it. Well, I’m not talking such lazy domainers and we can rule them out for sure. Domainer including newbie, veteran, panel members or can be any one participate and donate funds.

So what my proposal is we can have 3 or 5 members panel which comprises of domainers and at least one IP lawyer. One of the panel members shall be collecting and sharing it publicly about the total collected and available funds.

Next step is we’ll urge all domainers who’re well capable and have adequate funds to donate on regular basis to collect as much funds as possible which will cover all the expenses from responding to UDRP utilizing the services of our IP lawyer and other expenses incurred if any.

Once we’re well set in terms of securing funds, any domainer who gets hit with UDRP and can contact us in order to seek help in responding. We’ll leave up to the honesty of that domainer to inform if he/she is having no extra funds to respond or can partially cover the fees.

There will be a criteria of minimum two things to meet before we proceed any further.

1) There has to be enough funds easily available with us to cover all necessary expenses.

2) Majority of the panel members MUST agree upon the case in hand is good enough to be responded back. Because we would not be wasting any money on obvious trademark domains.

If the above two conditions are met, funds will be allocated for that particular case and our IP lawyer will take it up further.

I would like everyone to chime in and give your suggestions and/or feedback.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think most of us, if not all, agree with this sentiment. But the key question here is: how would this work? How do you determine "who genuinely cannot afford to respond UDRP with the help of professional lawyer"?

Right, so HugeDomains or BuyDomains will be sent packing. Okay, but how about me?*

Case study: I have almost 4,000 domains to my name and counting, growing my portfolio, with majority of my domains to be developed into well positioned websites. I expect to be hit with many new UDRP cases. Many are likely to be RDNH in nature, uniquely qualified IMHO for this support program.

But will the size of an applicant's portfolio determine access to the program? And if so, where do you propose the treshold at... 10...50... 100... 1,000 domains? And how will the panel verify the numbers, given most domains are now under domain privacy?

*) It's a hypothetical as I have successfully defended the few UDRP cases I had been hit with by myself and will continue to do so.

Some good questions and I really appreciate taking time for it.

Well, I think we should set some maximum number of domains like 100, 200 or 250. Anything above that would not make sense to help that person because if a person can afford to buy/sell/renew 500 or even more domains, I think can help on his own.

Now about the verifying which I agree that things have been made difficult after GDPR implementation. But there are some domainers and hopefully we'll have at least one of such person to be included in the panel to have access to DomainTools, DomainIQ and/or relevant sites for their paid accounts which will help us to track down. Although not possible to track and verify 100% but we'll have condition in place that if at any stage the panel member(s) found the person have lied for anything whether it be the information to be provided to lawyer about the UDRP, the number of domains or anything, his case will be dismissed from our end immediately and made it public to aware about his/her act.

•••
This is to update everyone that I've one IP lawyer on board.

So may I know if and who are willing to donate for this idea to implement and grow further?

•••
•••
Back