IT.COM

legal Unbalanced ICANN Working Group Participation Harms Domain Name Owners

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last week, I sounded the alarm about a dangerous proposal from an ICANN working group which would have severe negative consequences for domain name owners, allowing IGOs (intergovernmental organizations like the United Nations) to engage in consequence-free reverse domain name hijacking.

IGO-Weekly-Calls-Words-Spoken-Pie-Chart.png

To understand what led to such a report, I decided to look at the actual participation of working group members, as per the mailing list activities and on the weekly calls (transcripts are available on the GNSO Calendar page). I commissioned Kevin Ohashi of ReviewSignal.com to help. The shocking results clearly demonstrate why such one-sided proposals were arrived at by the working group. It is clear that the output of the working group reflects capture.

Read the entire article with charts and pretty spreadsheets on my blog.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
George, thank you for the analysis and alert. It's crucial that this information is understood by the domainer "masses" - I had no idea what an IGO is.

Are there any examples of aggressive pursuit of domains by IGOs via the standard UDRP process?

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back