IT.COM

question UDRP! Has a .net ever won over a .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Instead of dredging through cases, I've decided to crowdsource :)

Does anyone remember any UDRP cases where the .net (or other TLD) owner successfully won arbitration over a .com name?

I'm of course scouring Google, if you know of any instances of this happening please do share.

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks,

This one was more about the fact that MikeTyson didn't own his matching .COM and it was just being blatantly squatted on with no website and reasonable interest by the owner.

I was looking for one more along the lines of xxxxx.net operated for years without a trademark and didn't catch the .com when it was available. So they filed UDRP and won.

I haven't found a case of that yet; but I'll keep looking.

It's just good info to have; I enjoy law & debate.

•••
I know some .net domains has higher value than the same .com

ASP.Net

Online.Net

•••
Thanks,

This one was more about the fact that MikeTyson didn't own his matching .COM and it was just being blatantly squatted on with no website and reasonable interest by the owner.

I was looking for one more along the lines of xxxxx.net operated for years without a trademark and didn't catch the .com when it was available. So they filed UDRP and won.

I haven't found a case of that yet; but I'll keep looking.

It's just good info to have; I enjoy law & debate.

Surely, you are not expecting many cases of someone on a .net winning a .com WITHOUT a trademark????

I know of some that lost for various reasons.

Juniper.net lost UDRP on Juniper.TV precisely because they didn't have a TM on Juniper.

Bunch of cases that were lost by complainents: estructure.net, grow.net, plan.net, aplus.net.

186k.org was denied when sought by 186k.net also.

kariyer.com/kariyer.net is the most interesting case because a cursory reading of it gives the impression that the UDRP panel basically got frustrated that most of the documentation was in Turkish (and laches applied).

•••
Surely, you are not expecting many cases of someone on a .net winning a .com WITHOUT a trademark????

Great info, thank you.

I know it's as close to impossible as one can get to win a UDRP without a trademark, but I like to read as many scenarios as I could think of. Just in case the .net owners get bold and feisty in 2015.

Last edited:
•••
Mike Tyson was operating on the .net before he tried to take over the .com owned by the squatter.

•••
I was under the impression that the domain owned by the claimant was pretty much irrelevant. A UDRP is a trademark dispute - I can't see where it makes any difference what extension they use for their current domain.
If you were talking about new extensions, such as .club or .bike, where the extension can be incorporated into the trademark, that might be another thing. Still, as far as I know, ownership of a domain does not confer or strengthen trademark rights. Least of all for domainers:)

•••
I didn't catch this line from the OP:

So, yes, UDRPs are only for trademarks. If you don't have a trademark, then you have no case.

•••
I'm guessing the real issue would be what the .net was first for commerce for.

It could limit development, no?

eg. How can there be a site at autos/ca and a site at autos/com? You would think autos .com would have rights to a car based site considering it was reg'd in 1994, no?

Are there good TM / internet law books? didnt mean to hijack your thread VP thought it was relevant.

•••
Back