IT.COM

question Typodomain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lukas Fitting

Impact
Hey all,

So i've recently, infact without intention, aquired a domain which is VERY similar to chrome.com.
Was for a project which got ditched, now i plan on atleast parking it. its one letter off as in cjrome.com or chdome.com.

Can i get into any issues parking that site? :unsure:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, sure, you could get UDRP legal procedure in no time, since parking such a name proves bad faith per se.

•••
•••
Yes you could make yourself a big fat target if your confusingly similar name serves ads related to a trademark or service mark in which a complainant has rights. If your name is [first initial middle initial last name] format like the cjrome example there’s a sliver of hope that a buyer is out there but more likely the only way to earn is milking typos looking for the famous web browser and that probably wouldn’t add up to reg fee per year not to mention the cost of sleeping pills, leaving you with an easy delete/drop decision. If you receive a UDRP try softening up the panel with stories about back when men were men and bumpers were chrome plated steel, good luck!

•••
Well the initial idea was, lets take as example cjrome, CJ and rome, came back to a project me and 2 others have worked on had the first name of everyone.
Having any ads on there could legit get me in trouble, because people could mistype chrome and end up there? in my defense i could probably say that you could change a letter in every domain and end up somewhere else. mh.

•••
... in my defense i could probably say that you could change a letter in every domain and end up somewhere else. mh.

Best of luck explaining this to Google lawyers.

•••
chrome to me is a kind of metal / color
to make cars look more beautifully

•••
I would just add to stay away from major brands like Lego, Coca Cola, Google, Yahoo, Netflix, Amazon and cigarettes Brands. They have UDRP machinery all over the place.

•••
Typo domain is good when website is very popular, and brand is not very expensive

•••
No you can park it just fine it may get a few hits if it really could be a typo. The actual traffic you will get will be because it is 6L rather than the actual typo traffic.

•••
Yes, sure, you could get UDRP legal procedure in no time, since parking such a name proves bad faith per se.
will it result any big money penalty/fine or jail? or just force to remove/handover the domain???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back