IT.COM

.tv .TV Premium Auction at SEDO - Starts April 1st 2010!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
sedo.co.uk/search/searchresult.php4?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e&auctionevent=tvPremium

Just found it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if auction doesnt get good results then .tv will get into problems, along with them will be the premiums
if auctions ets good results then premiums will loose any existing market of reselling

high renewal premium holders are loosing already :D

•••
if auction doesnt get good results then .tv will get into problems, along with them will be the premiums
if auctions ets good results then premiums will loose any existing market of reselling

high renewal premium holders are loosing already :D

Yes, I think that area of the .tv (high priced premiums) is going to lose regardless of the outcome. The whole thing is basically an admission that the model doesn't work for holders.

I would suggest people read the press release a few times and the language used, they are saying it quite directly themselves,

"This marks the first time that these .tv domain names have been offered in a public auction, free of high annual renewal fees."

Sedo Collaborates with VeriSign to Host Its First .tv Domain Auction | Business Wire

So these names have now been "freed" of their "high" annual fees.

It is a bit like going to see your bank manager and he tells you all the investments you have with they bank are actually crap, the fees are high and you'd be better off with something else. It is from the horses mouth. When the company offering the investment says it isn't very good, well that is about as direct as it gets.

•••
Agree things could go either way here. If those names are priced well then it could be a new beginning, good for the market, good for those holding high quality regular reg fee names. If verisign prices those names to the point of very little selling then it will be a huge confidence blow for the extension. This is a game of high stakes for the reseller market.

The key thing as I see it is this, domainers on the "outside" looking at .tv will be watching this auction, it has got alot of promotion already. Most of those people are highly sceptical of the extension.

If those names are priced well and alot sell, they'll think "hey something is happening here". .tv will have more interest.

If the auction flops it will be a very public flop and it will reinforce what alot of people already think. Every second blogger is going to be talking about how lame the extension is. If we see a flop then I think the .tv market will over time move to a new low point over the next year or so, more people will walk in my view.

Agree. If this auction is priced well, people would be wise to not renew and reinvest into premium names without highout renewals in my view. I don't think premium holders are going to win either way with this auction. I think even holding an auction like this is a bit of an admission that the model doesn't work for domainers.

Though I think the best outcome for holders of premium renewal names for them is for names not to sell. It is basically a competition thing. It is a bit like owning an iphone, then a new model comes out which is 10 times better in every way, and hald the price of the old model, obviously the old model is going to depreciate heavily with this new competition.

Agree.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Personally I don't think holders of premium .tv will be happy when they see what that true value is. It is a bit like Mr Rhee thinking business.tv would sell for 6 figures and relating it to a 500k prior renewal. When the numbers come in, people will have to to look very hard at what they are paying and decide if that makes sense.

Agree a game changer for "valuable .tv holders". Most of those premium names aren't valuable, the typical premium owned by a domainer isn't worth anything at all.

Straight from the heart! no smilie here...

•••
All I can say is that I been investing in .tv since 2000 and there is some great things happening at .tv. I love to tell people "I told you so". You will see in time what I mean.

Thanks, Jim

•••
Where's the cheapest place to register a .tv?

•••
Well, I have left a comment for Tom C who has posted the news about the auction on Watch.Tv. It is still in moderation - I wonder how long it will take to get posted.........

Tom C.

First off. Congrats on Verisgn getting a deal with Sedo to market premium .tvs at regular renewals.

The most important question though has yet to be answered. And it comes right at the end of your statement: “at affordable price points”.

Is there a reason you do not wish to disclose those price points? It will give many people an idea if they are within range of these “at affordable price points” and plan accordingly

Thanks once again

•••
Is there a reason you do not wish to disclose those price points? It will give many people an idea if they are within range of these “at affordable price points” and plan accordingly

Thanks once again

I get the impression pricing hasn't been finalized yet.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Just saw some talk of reserves under 5k,

"Just to confirm these details for you. ALL .tv names in this Sedo auction will have reserves at less than $5000 and yes, ALL these domain names in this auction will be at your registrar's standard annual renewal rate for .tv's. We hope this wide selection of names with the lowered price point allows everyone to own a really good and memorable .tv domain name."

SEDO and Verisign get together for a premium .tv auction (Everything.tv)

If true then it is going ot be a very good auction.

•••
I get the impression pricing hasn't been finalized yet.

Given the history of uncertainty with .tv pricing full stop, it would have been refreshing to see an announcement concerning a .tv auction, where the pricing had been worked out BEFORE the announcement, getting rid of uncertainty that has plagued and BRANDED .tv.

I am not looking to bash .TV, I mean that. Because I may have a deal in the works for the development of a .tv depending on feedback from direct advertisers of a potential business partner.

This guy has more connections than most, and so far he has told me that his ad client base are "confused" at best.

I pray for a successful auction. Everything depends on one key factor - the reserve pricing. If they get it right (ie, market value) .tv could once again experience a VERY decent upward trajectory. If Germany.Tv, as an example of the rest of the auction, starts out at $25k reserve, its bye bye to .tv IMO.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Methinks snoop might just possibly be warming up to .tv a little bit. Whooda thunk?

I've always said much the same thing about .tv, well used extension (in its niche), bad pricing which makes no sense for speculation. *If* the old pricing goes then that gets rid of most of the reason why this extension was so poor for domainers, at least for premium names.

So if you've got high quality names with $25 reg fees that will create a real market for those names, (if enough names are auctioned off). There will be names around with genuine capital value (those names are very limited at the moment) because if the name is worth say $5,000 the $25 is a tivial holding cost.

Of course the holders of premium names are up the creek with all this and people with lower quality names still have big issues ($25 reg fees still too high). Overall though it is a very big step being taken here if those reserves are all under $5000.

•••
Most of those premium names aren't valuable, the typical premium owned by a domainer isn't worth anything at all.

I disagree 100%
Half of the Premiums in the recent .tv discussions, FortLauderdale, Michigan, Vermont, etc.
These are Premium .tv's. and are incredibly valuable, especially with the new found hype of .tv after a successful auction,
and with the recent whisperings of a possible Premium pricing elimination across the board.

It is a bit like going to see your bank manager and he tells you all the investments you have with they bank are actually crap, the fees are high and you'd be better off with something else. It is from the horses mouth. When the company offering the investment says it isn't very good, well that is about as direct as it gets.

Snoop,

It is 2010, and we have an entirely different World Economy right now.
Shit changes.
People/Businesses get creative.
Governments give bailouts to Rich Banks, and the Car Industry, etc.
Banks Modify Home Loans at a loss!...
which has never ever been done before in the History of Mortgages.

Even if Verisign came out with a Public statement saying
"Sorry everyone, we F-ed up...Let's try something different now."
So what???

We gotta roll w/the times baby.

•••
The trouble is Sedo wasnt supposed to announce this at all. Premature by at least 2-3 days. Oops.

Yep, they really need to feed some red meat to the crown, even if it means taking a lot less than what they'd hoped for. Hey - at least they might actually sell some this time.

Really?! Who would have thought that Sedo could screw up??

Even if it means taking a lot less - the decision ultimately will be if they are looking to make short term profits and overprice the reserve (and screwing themselves by a failed auction) or are looking long term profits which will be good both for Verisign and for .Tv

•••
I disagree 100%
Half of the Premiums in the recent .tv discussions, FortLauderdale, Michigan, Vermont, etc.
These are Premium .tv's. and are incredibly valuable, especially with the new found hype of .tv after a successful auction,

Michigan.tv was about to be dropped and was given away from what I can see of it. That says it all. Worthless.

Even if Verisign came out with a Public statement saying
"Sorry everyone, we F-ed up...Let's try something different now."
So what???

We gotta roll w/the times baby.

Agree, nothing wrong with it.

•••
All I can say is that I been investing in .tv since 2000 and there is some great things happening at .tv. I love to tell people "I told you so". You will see in time what I mean.

Thanks, Jim

It would be appreciated if you could please elaborate ... as the PRESENT status of Tuvalu ".TV" is 10 years of failed policy and a well documented history of underperformance / underachievement, IMHO. :guilty:

What (new) great things are happening with the ".TV"? What, exactly, will we see ... in time (how much time)? :blink:

With so many admitted UNKNOWNS, one thing is for sure ... that this as yet undefined 'auction' will be anything but a "game changer"; though it has been fun to actively discuss and create short-term excitement (for some) here in this thread! :red: :talk:

See you soon,
Jeff B-)

•••
Dear Antifans of Dot TV,

On behalf of dot tv investors/developers/domainers, I kindly request that you please remain on the side lines and discourage as many people from buying dot tv names for the next few weeks, so those of us who feel good about the extension can acquire more names. We very much appreciate the free service you are providing, but your services will no longer be needed after this period.

Sincerely,

AllThings.tv

Last edited:
•••
Dear Antifans of Dot TV,

On behalf of dot tv investors/developers/domainers, I kindly request is that you please remain on the side lines and discourage as many people from buying dot tv names for the next few weeks, so those of us who feel good about the extension can acquire more names. We very much appreciate the free service you are providing, but your services will no longer be needed after this period.

Sincerely,

AllThings.tv

Agreed :lol:

•••
So does anyone know where the cheapest place is to register a .tv?

•••
•••

Thanks, Jim

We'll all see, beginning this Friday. ;)

•••
Makis I was not talking to you when I said Mike, I was talking to Hull, I know your name. I was not on all day, but Mark Klein left a comment on my blog. I see Snoop posted it, so at least we know under $5000 reserve.

•••
Dear Antifans of Dot TV,

On behalf of dot tv investors/developers/domainers, I kindly request is that you please remain on the side lines and discourage as many people from buying dot tv names for the next few weeks, so those of us who feel good about the extension can acquire more names. We very much appreciate the free service you are providing, but your services will no longer be needed after this period.

Sincerely,

AllThings.tv

well said. :D

•••

Last edited:
•••
It would be appreciated if you could please elaborate ... as the PRESENT status of Tuvalu ".TV" is 10 years of failed policy and a well documented history of underperformance / underachievement, IMHO. :guilty:

What (new) great things are happening with the ".TV"? What, exactly, will we see ... in time (how much time)? :blink:

With so many admitted UNKNOWNS, one thing is for sure ... that this as yet undefined 'auction' will be anything but a "game changer"; though it has been fun to actively discuss and create short-term excitement (for some) here in this thread! :red: :talk:

See you soon,
Jeff B-)

Jeff,

Within 1-2 weeks the whole pricing structure on .tv for all premiums will change . It's 100% positive and great news for everybody looking to invest. That is all I can say.

It will be a game-changer and put .tv on level ground on pricing with other extensions.

Thanks, Jim

•••
Jeff,

Within 1-2 weeks the whole pricing structure on .tv for all premiums will change
Thanks, Jim

1-2 weeks jim? sheeeeuuut, it changes friday buddy.

•••
1-2 weeks jim? sheeeeuuut, it changes friday buddy.

Isn't this Friday 2 weeks away? I knew I should of not been posting as a "drunken irishman"
on St. Patricks day:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back