IT.COM

discuss Turned Down A $75K Offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I love how domainers think it's easy to develop a brand. It takes FAR more than a domain name to develop a brand.

Sure does. A heck of a lot more money than a "paltry" $75k. If the inquiry was from a multi-billion dollar company, they would be spending millions branding the domain. They could afford more than just $75k.

Last edited:
•••
Purple.com had a 7 digit asking price and sold recently.

I am sure Lilac can sell for 6 digits within 2-3 years.

•••
Purple.com had a 7 digit asking price and sold recently.

I am sure Lilac can sell for 6 digits within 2-3 years.
The # of uses that Purple has compared to Lilac is many multiples more, he needs that one special buyer, the same buyer we all need for all our domains also. Sometimes they show up, and sometimes you walk away from the best offer you will ever get. Nobody knows in this business, we tend to take a snapshot of what we can do with it going forward, or if it is time to cut the cord. I guess he wants to roll the dice, and if he changes his mind his buyer might, or might not still be there.

•••
Purple 1.5bn, Lilac 150mm

That is a pretty good number. Lilac is probably top 20 color, it is a flower and a scent.

There will eventually be a company in floral, cosmetics, fragrance, services for women, fashion etc. industry that will want the name.

It is an amazing brand that would immediately come with its own color, scent and logo idea and very strong association with them.

•••
Purple 1.5bn, Lilac 150mm

That is a pretty good number. Lilac is probably top 20 color, it is a flower and a scent.

There will eventually be a company in floral, cosmetics, fragrance, services for women, fashion etc. industry that will want the name.

It is an amazing brand that would immediately come with its own color, scent and logo idea and very strong association with them.
I also could see a perfume or some cosmetic line using that for their brand.

•••
Hands down a great domain, one we would all like to own, not much sales history with that keyword

https://namebio.com/?s==ETNxcDO0UTM

If sedo takes 15/20% it would be hard to absorb, I guess he probably has high teens to mid 20's into it.

Last edited:
•••
Sure does. A heck of a lot more money than a "paltry" $75k. If the inquiry was from a multi-billion dollar company, they would be spending millions branding the domain. They could afford more than just $75k.
But it's sure handy to have the "default" extension

•••
Its also many possible cool acronyms...

Living In Los Angeles County, etc

The letter c atvthe end is good too.

I like the idea of an acronym.

•••
And for when its hot outside....

"Wow, its really hot...Hows about a "Lil AC?". :)

•••
I probably would have flipped and went hunting for 3L.coms.

•••
Lilac.com is not a normal domain. It is not only for website. It is a brand. Strong brand. I dont think a random 3L even a 3L like Mud.com (until a new coin available as mud coin) can beat this 5L domain.

Last edited:
•••
By the way if I were the owner, the current status of the domain is "Sold".

•••
I would have closed the deal and used 75k to buy something better and cheaper.

•••
Exactly. Most of us "domainers" would have a very hard time turning down $75,000 for a single 5 letter dictionary word domain.

For me, they would barely get the words "Seventy Five Th.." out before I'd said "Deal!".
Someone told me he turned down a 45k offer on a dictionary word 6L. Soooo

•••
The # of uses that Purple has compared to Lilac is many multiples more, he needs that one special buyer, the same buyer we all need for all our domains also. Sometimes they show up, and sometimes you walk away from the best offer you will ever get. Nobody knows in this business, we tend to take a snapshot of what we can do with it going forward, or if it is time to cut the cord. I guess he wants to roll the dice, and if he changes his mind his buyer might, or might not still be there.
But nothing rhymes with purple! Haven't you heard the joke! ?

•••
Does anyone know how much the current owner bought the domain for? If not, then how could any of you say that they would have sold the domain for $75,000 if they were the owner? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

•••
Does anyone know how much the current owner bought the domain for? If not, then how could any of you say that they would have sold the domain for $75,000 if they were the owner? It just doesn't make any sense at all.
It would make sense if one thought that $75k was the max value. People routinely overpay for names assets. Selling them at a loss is called cutting your losses.

But personally I doubt he paid anywhere near that, most likely he has money and can wait for that $200K offer

•••
It would make sense if one thought that $75k was the max value. People routinely overpay for names assets. Selling them at a loss is called cutting your losses.

But personally I doubt he paid anywhere near that, most likely he has money and can wait for that $200K offer

You really never know. I am not saying he paid somewhere close to $75,000, I am just saying that since no one knows how much the current owner bought the domain for, no one should say that they would've accepted the $75k offer.

magenta.com was sold for $100,000. Personally, I think lilac is way more brandable than magenta.

•••
You really never know. I am not saying he paid somewhere close to $75,000, I am just saying that since no one knows how much the current owner bought the domain for, no one should say that they would've accepted the $75k offer.

magenta.com was sold for $100,000. Personally, I think lilac is way more brandable than magenta.

To each its own. Magenta is a major color. It is one of the 4 colors in CMYK for printing industry.

•••
I actually think this is a six figure domain.

Lilac is short and really memorable for a brand name... no major competition (no other big companies with the name).

Plus Lilac makes me think "girly".

Could easily be a fashion brand / fashion retailer / sanitary pad brand / ladies deodorant brand. Also a nice name for a branding agency.

Very flexible name, and there are probably more 'masculine' words than there are 'feminine' words. And of course all of the people on here who don't think this is worth $100k.... what gender are they? :-P

So as long as the domainer is already cash rich, I don't blame him for trying to hold out for a bit more somewhere further along the line.

Last edited:
•••
You forgot printing industry, paints, perfume etc.

•••
olzo.co
$XXXX
suggest ????

•••
5-letter, single dictionary word .com? $75K? Did the offer come from Andrew Rosener? lol

That's a $150K brand or more if you're in this in the long-haul.

Good move turning it down.

Last edited:
•••
To each its own. Magenta is a major color. It is one of the 4 colors in CMYK for printing industry.
That doesn't make it more brandable than lilac. What I said was that lilac sounds more brandable than magenta. I prefer the pronunciation and the sound of lilac more than magenta. I am not debating on which one is more popular.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back