IT.COM

Trying to understand the jp.net domains

NameSilo
Watch

ZeroVariance

Established Member
Impact
Hi,
I am new here and I posted this question on Reddit but someone advised me to drop the question here.

I have a few .jp.net domain names but I cannot put my finger on the actual use in Japan. There is limited info about this extension

I am not talking about what its worth or values etc, I am trying to find some more info on how this extension in japan is pursued.Usually when searching for TLDs there is a whole lot info about but on .jp.net extension there is not

anyone could point me in some more in-depth stats or sources apart from the first 10 pages in Google?

I would appreciate it, thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
anyone could point me in some more in-depth stats or sources apart from the first 10 pages in Google?
Hi, @jmcc might be able to help. The extension stats expert.

•••
Would appreciate the help!
Thanks

•••
Hi,
I am new here and I posted this question on Reddit but someone advised me to drop the question here.

I have a few .jp.net domain names but I cannot put my finger on the actual use in Japan. There is limited info about this extension

I am not talking about what its worth or values etc, I am trying to find some more info on how this extension in japan is pursued.Usually when searching for TLDs there is a whole lot info about but on .jp.net extension there is not

I would appreciate it, thanks!
The jp.net is not a TLD. It is a repurposed .net domain name that is trying to sell to a Japanese market. The problem with that is that the .JP (the Japanese ccTLD) already has a second level domain in .ne.jp which is intended for network operations and ISPs. With most markets with a strong ccTLD, the ccTLD/.COM axis represents over 80% of the registered domain names in that market. Apart from statistical and full web usage surveys on the gTLDs and new gTLDs and domain name statistics, I haven't followed .JP or the Japanese market in detail.

One possible way to detect some of the .jp.net websites would be to do a site:.jp.net search on Google. It isn't a precise way of doing it but it will provide an indication of some of the sites on jp.net.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Thanks for this in-depth response @jmcc
its very helpful. I am only stuck on the term repurposed domain. Tried to find more info about it but its not showing much. But I do get the grasp of it .
On Netim i found --- The .JP.NET domain is a subdomain of .NET for the zone of Japan and represents an alternative to .JP domain names.
So that made it more clear after all.

Nonetheless, the domains I have on .jp.net came from a very speculative perspective (as in no harm to reg them at this point) , and I will hold on it for at least a few years i think. dao/jav/ vps/ cloud .jp.net

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back