NameSilo

Translate.com sold for $853,000

Labeled as opinion in Domain Industry News started by Rinkuji, Nov 28, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. andydotlol

andydotlol Upgraded Member Gold Account

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. mawels

mawels O1E

Great sale, I used only google translate

3. Mark Cambridge

Mark Cambridge Established Member

Exactly! Check out weglot. ML translations for websites with human translators to touch up errors. Translate.com would be the ultimate domain for this service.

4. nametrekker

nametrekker Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

That's right. Transperfect is #1. But Unbabel.com is breathing down its neck. Started by 3 friends in Portugal, Unbabel uses AI to provide actionable data to human translators. Already is making millions USD, and formed partnerships with Microsoft and Salesforce.com.
    Unbabel will be a billion dollar company soon. Or get acquired by a giant company.

5. wwwulff

wwwulff Active Member VIP

Globally, the business of professional translation is a multi billion dollar business - In Denmark, where I live, there is a startup called EasyTranslate and they have just won a translation assignment over 4 years for the Ministry of Justice worth almost $100 million and that's only a small part of their business. Many common people use google translate, but it's not good enough for professional use and in that light, I think the price is too low

There may be problems with the action because Flippa auction lists Bidder #2 as a banned account; that bidder went all the way up to $852,000 dollars during the auction:

Source: https://domaingang.com/domain-news/...nt-for-greek-entrepreneur-anthos-chrysanthou/

6. nametrekker

Nice find, Mr. Kierkegaard. It seems like it's always either (a nice sale) or (something is rotten in Denmark)
    :) Denmark is one of my favorite countries -- great place to live and enjoy the hygge

7. othellotech

othellotech Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Companies may use translators a lot, but not translate,com - it has just 40 paying clients after 4 years operating !

8. othellotech

othellotech Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Whilst it's not uncommon to have an "anonymous" account for high-value purchases so the seller doesnt know who the bidder is until the escrow payment stages, that one does look very "shill-like"

9. JudgeMind

JudgeMind BrandstartDomains.com PRO VIP Trusted Contest Holder

bodes well for my recent acquisition

TranslateTool

c
    o
    m

10. Ausdog

Ausdog Upgraded Member Gold Account

And that is why you don't sell it on Flippa.

11. hemirate

hemirate Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

For me it's a good sale for buyer supposing that US$30,000/month figure is net income and it is real.

Only the domain name alone is worth a good chunk of money.

Even if I don't give much importance to the domain names anymore...

You can have Translate or SomethingSomethingTransate, as long as you show me the money, that's fine

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  12. hemirate

hemirate Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I would guess 99% of visitors were looking for the google translate tool, hence the high bounce rate.

13. Rinkuji

Rinkuji Active Member VIP

100% Agreed! I sold two hand reg domains to one Translation company each for XXXX. I was confused why this company buy my hand reg domains for XXXX when Google is daddy in this niche. But when I checked their website I realized that Translation is huge and billion dollar business. Its not just limited to checking word or one sentence in Google Translate. Amazing thing is Google itself is client of that company. O_o

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  14. WingMan

WingMan Established Member

It's a neat deal. Congratulations to the buyer and seller!

15. LeapNames

LeapNames LeapNames.com Gold Account

A little off topic, but my wife previously worked for Google doing translations internally for legal documents and some other company related documents. She also worked as a contractor for them for a year as an ads quality rater, basically translating their ads for Brazil to make sure they made sense. I kind of found it all ironic and as if they didn't trust their own translations.

I'm thinking this domain/site would be better off being used for providing services that require translating documents, especially longer ones which they could charge big bucks for each time. This is assuming that Google wasn't the one's who actually bought it.

16. Windoms

Windoms Established Member

Translation tools can only help translating words.
    When you translate a text from English into another language, you need to convey the same meaning along with expressions, sarcasm etc.. You need a human who is knowledgeable in both languages to do that.
    Take legal translation. There's legal english terms that you need to translate into spanish legal terms. You need a translator who is knowledgeable into both english and spanish legal systems to do a proper job, not just someone who is going to use a dictionary and google translate tool. This is why you can't have one company or website own the market. You need trust. Translation companies who in turn work with professional and certified translators, non-disclosure agreements and all. They get paid the highest rates.

65% of translation can be done by any person fluent in two languages, but the remaining 35%, the rhetoric, synthax and all the very important & critical stuff that conveys the same message can only be achieved by a professional and trained ''letterperson'', experienced in whatever field he/she is working.

Sharp & professional translation is like an eternal commodity. For that reason alone I see no value in the business or whatever they have built, I only see the domain.

17. nametrekker

I hope we find out soon if the buyer is an end-user.
    I don't think Google purchased it, as the company usually doesn't purchase premium generic domains. These companies do: Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce.com and Amazon.
    Unbabel.com could have bought it, as the company recently had a nice funding round, and there are a few human translation companies that already have "Babel" as a moniker for their company brand(s).
    Then again, it could have been purchased by a domain investor for the name alone. We'll see.

18. LeapNames

LeapNames LeapNames.com Gold Account

I agree I highly doubt it was Google.

19. kdbbdk1

kdbbdk1 Established Member

Give it some time, with a proper AI integration, the website will get much more attention from companies (who don't use G.T). I still think the price is low IMO

Any details about the buyer? I saw the listing on Flippa a while ago but didn't follow the entire sale.

20. otismo

otismo Established Member

I had been relying on siegemedia.com for relative keyword data;

and it looked, a year ago, as if TRANSLATE was about to overtake

WEATHER as the number one keyword; then siegemedia.com

changes/refines their approach; now WEATHER 24,440,000 - MAPS

20,400,000 - TRANSLATE 18,310,000 - so TRANSLATE looks like it goes

from "almost" being number one all the way down to number three ! But then,

TAYLOR SWIFT is number 61 and BEYONCE is not even in their top 100 !

And tied with MELANIA TRUMP !

The seller was probably risk averse, and the domain comprised too large a %

of their net worth. Great investment for any buyer with deep pockets ( very

large net worth ) at that price - the domain was probably developed to enable

the realization of a good selling price.

Everything is Relative in a world with no Absolutes.....

21. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Interesting, thanks.

22. peptobismal

peptobismal New Member

I can see Lionbridge buying this.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: