Dynadot

advice Traffic stats, To Park or Develop (or an attempt at it..)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain_Stir

Established Member
Impact
I am new to this to this so please bear with me. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased several direct reference .io domains (3L - 8L with relatively high estibot retail estimates). Planned on just selling them and parked them at Sedo, and listed them for sale at Afternic and Flippa in the meantime. A couple of them immediately started with unique traffic. One of them has, what i would consider, high traffic (60-80 unique monthly views, 275 in a 5 months) with ZERO advertising other than listing them Flippa, Afternic, and Sedo.

Here's the hitch. Its an international term with translations in at least 6 languages. Its an acronym for a fairly high profile US law as well... I'm seeing hits from Brazil, United States, Russia, Great Britain, China, India (en), France, Netherlands, Spain, and Others 22.76%.

Here are the questions:
1. Should I leave it parked? (only generated 1 actual ad click so far) If so what places do you recommend that might bring in actual revenue?
2. Should I try using a Wordpress site and use adsense? (I have absolutely no coding or website dev skills)
3. If #2, then what tools are available other than what sedo offers to determine how to best develop it?

There are just so many hits from all over the place with different meanings that I think I may be narrowing the focus by developing it, however, keeping parked is getting unique views but not generating any $. There's apparent interest (primarily from Brazil, USA, Russia, and China).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
60-80 monthly views is not high traffic, especially if that traffic is not organics.
SEDO's traffic stats include a lot of non-organics so not worth to base your decision on that.

On the other hand, if you see revenue coming from that traffic (even if low) then your question makes sense.

At the moment, best place to park with more accurate stats and fairly good earnings is ParkingCrew.

Note that, high traffic for a domain should be in the dozens (or even better, hundreds) *daily*

•••
Appreciate the feedback. That's perspective for sure. I know in the grand scheme of things the numbers are small but I just assumed since its a new handreg, and not a .com/org/net, that it meant that people are actively searching for this particular domain. Its been a steady increase since I registered it and today alone I have 10 uniques. It seems to be getting so much more attention than the others I reg'd at the same time, that i just assumed it might be indicative of something more. At least its getting offer views also.

I'll check out parking crew for sure. Third time today I've seen their reference.

•••
Appreciate the feedback. That's perspective for sure. I know in the grand scheme of things the numbers are small but I just assumed since its a new handreg, and not a .com/org/net, that it meant that people are actively searching for this particular domain. Its been a steady increase since I registered it and today alone I have 10 uniques. It seems to be getting so much more attention than the others I reg'd at the same time, that i just assumed it might be indicative of something more. At least its getting offer views also.

I'll check out parking crew for sure. Third time today I've seen their reference.

don't forget that there are quite a lot of other domainers using various pieces of software to check (even visit) domains following specific keywords. Even if SEDO filters out crawlers, bots, etc. those 'hits' have a good chance of appearing as traffic.

ParkingCrew have the strictest filter I know in a parking service but If you really want to check the real traffic , your best bet is to setup a lander and monitor via google analytics, statcounter, etc.

•••
Thats good to know. I've noticed the links from seocheckupx and know its a bot of some type, but the referral traffic for this one are mostly google search and yandex. I am very interested to see how much is actual searches. Thanks again.

•••
Just switched over to the ParkingCrew. Dashboard definitely seems to be an upgrade over what the others offer. Really interested to see what additional info i can glean from where this is traffic coming from. Do you know if it will differentiate bot from real/organic?

•••
if there are no clicks
then most likely it's bot traffic

can't see anyone typing in .io extensions, except bot or domainers doing whois checks

imo....

•••
Whats odd is there are offer views, which is a separate page. I was just chalking it up to people checking the price in USD vs Euro vs. GBP. Just a shortcut for conversion rates?

•••
well shit. Already getting clicks apparently. I think Sedo may have under represented the amount of traffic. I have 4 others that are actually generating clicks also that were not even registering traffic with Sedo alone. I know its still early and the numbers aren't 100% accurate until after 48 hours but prelim looks fairly promising. I'll update once I can see a little more. Definitely pleasantly surprised. Thanks for rec Hypersot!

•••
well sh*t. Already getting clicks apparently. I think Sedo may have under represented the amount of traffic. I have 4 others that are actually generating clicks also that were not even registering traffic with Sedo alone. I know its still early and the numbers aren't 100% accurate until after 48 hours but prelim looks fairly promising. I'll update once I can see a little more. Definitely pleasantly surprised. Thanks for rec Hypersot!

You need to wait for the clicks to convert into revenue. If that happens then your traffic is real indeed and that adds value to your domain.

•••
I completely understand. Bots or not I think Sedo was under-representing the amount of traffic was hitting that domain. The only thing I can think of is their stats actually filter out more of what they consider bots? I understand the revenue conversion but right now I'm stoked to see SOME traffic. Really more interested in stats to know what I should do with the domain to better leverage it at this point.

The funny thing is I know the start of the Chinese lunar new year starts Feb 16. and one of the translations is for a traditional Chinese folk instrument and the increase directly corresponds with that. Coincidence? Probably... however, the celebrations and it usually lasts two weeks and I think this could possibly be some real traffic since most of that increase has been from China. Long shot but remaining hopeful.

Last edited:
•••
Update: While not astounding, and honestly... barely noteworthy, the numbers appear to be positive. After 48 hours the volume to all the sites I parked (over 50) are getting traffic, opposed to with sedo, where maybe 5 were getting consistent traffic, and accounting for only two clicks (0 revenue) in over a year. With parking crew, in 3 days, I've reached almost the same amount of traffic that these same sites received at Sedo in close to a year. 4 of them have received 20-30 each daily. AND there have been clicks and a small bit of revenue displayed for the first day! These guys are doing something right. Thanks again for the advice!

Funny thing is that the one site I had the most hope for is actually seeing the least traffic now, so I assume it was mostly all bots. I just wonder why the other sites were not showing traffic at sedo? Weird...

•••
if there are no clicks
then most likely it's bot traffic

can't see anyone typing in .io extensions, except bot or domainers doing whois checks

imo....

It looks like most of the traffic to these sites came from google searches. People aren't typing the URL directly but they're searching for the terms and getting to those pages. A few have clicked and several have even clicked thru to the offer views at Sedo.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back