Dynadot

Trademarking a VR domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

techname

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It appears that there is a TM application pending for VRIL dot com by Overstock.com. Does this mean that it is possible to TM an actual domain name you don't own?
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4801:mr1tg3.2.1

Trademarks aren't tied to domain names, somebody can trademark any string of characters.

If he's really not the owner, it looks like they want to try and get it via reverse domain hijacking in which case I hope they fail, get added to hallofshame and the domain owner jacks up the price to 100k. Someone here own vril(.)com ?

Last edited:
•••
Whoops! linked to the wrong article - Here's the corrected link:

New Galaxy S8 Leak Reveals Samsung's Powerful Surprise

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/09/29/samsung-galaxy-s8-leak-vr-graphics/#1d10e78e5945

The rumored specifications for the presumptively titled Samsung Galaxy S8 suggest that the South Korean smartphone will ship with one of the most powerful graphics chips on the market, ARM’s Mali-G71. This monster of a chip will be paired up with a 4K resolution screen (typically 3840 x 2160 pixels). That much power in both graphical ability and in computational power (with an octa-core SnapDragon system-on-chip) paired wit an ultra high definition screen suggests that the Galaxy S8′s secret weapon will be VR.
I have been stating the case for this for the last 6 months and more.
The key is that Qualcomm Snapdragon SOC.
I know some did not want to believe it when I said that many mobile phones would be on-par or better than a Sony Playstation/4/VR in 2017, but that S8 is just about that. And in less than a year, we will see 4-6 phones at that level.
In 18 months, they may surpass the new XBOX we have yet to see in speed and it has the workings of a very fast console just for the number crunching ability.
Yes, It Is A Very Big Deal till the 2nd gen of the VIVE, RIFT come out and we have faster PC's.

It's just hard to imagine this not flying high just because of the total cost of 'vr' ownership and wireless portability.

It appears that there is a TM application pending for VRIL dot com by Overstock.com. Does this mean that it is possible to TM an actual domain name you don't own?
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4801:mr1tg3.2.1
It's most likely Overstock has already secured the name in a private/nda sale.
The full mark is VRIL.COM and that is a very limited mark on just what you see for online retailing.
You could not reverse hi-jack some other extension unless they were to do something purposely to imitate the identity of the mark, but that would be the case no matter the domain name. It's a non-issue.
(no claims are being made short of the included '.COM')
But overstock.com has learned many lessons in using a category killing GENERIC name over the years.
Hence they are seeking some protections for what looks like a new venture.
You can probably do a case search and learn a few of those lessons yourself.

Last edited:
•••
I have VRbattlechess.com -- I'm wondering if there are any trademark repercussions with Interplay (or whoever).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back