Dynadot

discuss Topic for discussion Are domain sales reports really real?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bahaba

Established Member
Impact
I wrote this same text as a comment on one of the posts, but later I thought why not write a special topic about this thing and see that I suffer from this thing alone, or are there people like me who have the same problem? So I write here with a separate topic in the same idea with some modifications to the text. I hope you will share your opinion, advice or feeling with me.

I want to talk about us as sellers or investors in the domain, They cracked our heads with the xxxxxx domain sales reports, and I believed that, but through my experiences and expertise, I doubted all these things and reports.
I am not speaking out of envy, I am speaking in order to make the online community more honest and useful.

I don't know why I was disappointed in selling the domain and why I feel that these sales are fake and are just advertising for domain registration companies!
Look at our situation. We sellers buy from each other, and there is no final customer, but a seller who buys from a seller!
To confirm my suspicions, I researched the domain sales reports. Most of the domains that were sold at fantastic prices are not available online, or when you try to access them, you get a warning through an anti-virus program.
I began to suspect that most of these reports are being bought by the domain registry companies themselves as propaganda and to spread the spirit of hope that there are people who buy domains with XXXXX

I will tell you my experiences i will talk about my self!
I have more than 800 domains since 2 years I have not sold any of them! 800x10=8000 $
You may ask me why I bought all these domains? i will tell you why:
When I see xxxxxx sales reports Everywhere, my eyes pOp OuT :wideyed: Then my hand crawls over to the domain registrar then this sentence runs in my head ( Money Money i need money) For a while, I think that by investing in the domain, I will become Elon Musk and i will buy Twitter.
Then i start buy more and more domains, with every domain i buy i hoping to see XXXXXX luck smiling to me! 🍀 But :banghead: I did not see XXXXX, nor her cousin XXXX, nor even her aunt xxx or her grandmother xx. But once I got lucky once and I sold my domain through Dynadot User Action for $1 so i see x. In fact, I didn't see the full x because Dynadot took a 10% commission so I got 0.90 x. any way...

I think we sellers are just fuel for domain registration companies.
They play with our weakness, our need for money. They put out huge sales reports and we fall into the trap of greed. The result is that we lose more money, and domain registration companies earn more of our money!
In this case, the companies are the sellers and we are the buyers.

Maybe someone will jump off the screen and tell me look at the car.com domain sold for XXXXXXX.....Million dollars!
Ok do do you think that you can get a car.com domain name for $10?
All good domains are already registered my friend, don't think they will let any good domain fall and let you buy it with $10 so dont wait.

They tell us to buy more Domains, when you buy more Domains, your chances of selling will increase!!!
Yes, two years ago, until now, I paid $8000 and i won -$8000 and I'm still buying more every day when i see any X report and I'm still falling into the trap every day hoping luck smiles on me.

After that, exaggerated fictional reports begin to appear! Thousands of dollars and xxxxx again.
and again my eyes pOp OuT :wideyed: and I buy more and more, then i put them with domain parking companies.
The result is two years until now. I have earned 2.5 dollars from the investment. I'm talking about 800 domains, I'm talking about 8000 dollars.

Yes, I am a pessimist and I want to speak and express my feelings! Because I did not see anyone criticizing here, but all the topics are positive and sales reports, am I the only one thinking in this way?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If ... noordrijnwestfalen.de , noordrijn-westfalen.de, noordrijnwestfalen.com, noordrijn-westfalen.com is available (not registered) than North Rhine-Westphalia doesn't make any sense.

For DE = Noordrijn-Westfalen or dot NRW

Regards
in german Nordrhein-Westfalen not Noordrijn-Westfalen any way i have
NordRhein.org and NordRheinWestFalen.org thats in german
in English northrhine.net , NorthRhine.de , NorthRhineWestPhalia.de ,
NorthRhineWestPhalia.net

•••
Regarding Westphalia.. kindly share any interesting info about Vehmic courts. Can't find their tree location
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
North Rhine-Westphalia. is the name of a region Is it possible that no one is interested in it??
Yes it is.

If you got Niedersachsen.de, Bayern.de, Hamburg.de, ... (german names of regions) i'd keep them over years. But not in english translation. That will not work.

Think of endusers. Gouverment of Nordrhein-Westfalen? They use NRW.de for sure (why should they need the english translation?!).
So there could be only some (international) holiday advertisers be interested (which i'd disagree anyway). Not a single one of the other 15 regions (in english with .de TLD) from germany are developed businesses. Lots are even free to register. Only bavaria.de is a thing because of lots of existing brands in germany with this term.

Last edited:
•••
in german Nordrhein-Westfalen not Noordrijn-Westfalen any way i have
NordRhein.org and NordRheinWestFalen.org thats in german
in English northrhine.net , NorthRhine.de , NorthRhineWestPhalia.de ,
NorthRhineWestPhalia.net
For Belgian or Dutch tourist ...

nordrheinwestfalen.com & dot de is for sale for a very long time. So there's no end-user/companies interest in this kind of Brand-ing.

Regards

•••
Regarding Westphalia.. kindly share any interesting info about Vehmic courts. Can't find their tree location
Thanks
i dont understand what is meaning Vehmic courts
100% will no one ever be interested.

If you got Niedersachsen.de, Bayern.de, Hamburg.de, ... (german names of regions) i'd keep them over years. But not in english translation. That will not work.

Think of endusers. Gouverment of Nordrhein-Westfalen? They use NRW.de for sure (why should they need the english translation?!).
So there could be only some (international) holiday advertisers be interested (which i'd disagree anyway). Not a single of the other 15 regions (in english with .de) from germany are developed businesses. Lots are even free to register.
Well, you may be right, but there are a lot of foreigners in Germany, students, tourists and others. There are many who speak English and do not speak German. Perhaps the companies renting houses or selling real estate are interested, or tourism companies or the government, and many companies that can benefit from the name of this domain. There is an article on Wikipedia with the same name which is a correct translation. I have good reasons to buy any of the domains in my account.
I understand what you mean. That's your opinion but everyone has different thinking and different interests. Maybe I see that this domain is good because my head works in this way, I may be wrong or right, but at this moment I do not see that my way of analyzing things is wrong

•••
at this moment I do not see that my way of analyzing things is wrong

Well then there is nothing more i can do for you.
Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
Well then there is nothing more i can do for you.
Good luck.
You have done a lot. The exchange of discussion makes us gain new information and insight.
Really thank you for this discussion and experience you have sharing with me.

•••
Before you try to keep this industry honest, try keeping yourself honest with yourself.

Pick an industry and you will find people wondering the same thing about that industry. The people wondering, are people that tried to make it in that industry and failed.

People that fail at day trading are convinced the day trading success stories are put out there by brokerages. People that try opening a pizza shop and fail, are convinced the other pizza shops are just money laundering operations. People that fail selling on Amazon, suspect that the people making millions via amazon FBA are Amazon shills.

Most people that get involved in anything will not succeed at it, this is why most people are not financially successful. The good news is there is certainly at least one industry where you will be successful and the key is to let go of ideas that you tried and were not successful at making them work. A lot of successful people tried many different businesses before they became successful.

Picking the right names to invest in right now is something that you either get or you don't get. It's like web design, some designers just don't have the skill and nothing will change that. Even if you do know what names to pick, most will never sell.

So don't feel bad, you are not the exception, most people getting into any business or even personal relationship will fail. Keep on moving and soon enough you will reach success in something.

•••
Before you try to keep this industry honest, try keeping yourself honest with yourself.

Pick an industry and you will find people wondering the same thing about that industry. The people wondering, are people that tried to make it in that industry and failed.

People that fail at day trading are convinced the day trading success stories are put out there by brokerages. People that try opening a pizza shop and fail, are convinced the other pizza shops are just money laundering operations. People that fail selling on Amazon, suspect that the people making millions via amazon FBA are Amazon shills.

Most people that get involved in anything will not succeed at it, this is why most people are not financially successful. The good news is there is certainly at least one industry where you will be successful and the key is to let go of ideas that you tried and were not successful at making them work. A lot of successful people tried many different businesses before they became successful.

Picking the right names to invest in right now is something that you either get or you don't get. It's like web design, some designers just don't have the skill and nothing will change that. Even if you do know what names to pick, most will never sell.

So don't feel bad, you are not the exception, most people getting into any business or even personal relationship will fail. Keep on moving and soon enough you will reach success in something.
Because I am honest with myself I wrote this topic!
To lie to myself means to be silent and not object and say that everything is good.
Everyone has the right to object and everyone has the right to try to improve something.
You can't accuse me of failing and not being honest with myself just because I'm expressing my opinion!
I do not understand how you came to the conclusion that I am not honest with myself and why?
I expressed my opinion frankly and transparently and explained the reasons that made me take this position. During the discussion, I accepted the opinions of all those who discussed me and treated them with respect, even though some try to obscure the truth and blame me.
So please, let's share information and experience, Please read my topic again to know that I expressed my opinion honestly through my experience.

•••
Because I am honest with myself I wrote this topic!
To lie to myself means to be silent and not object and say that everything is good.
Everyone has the right to object and everyone has the right to try to improve something.
You can't accuse me of failing and not being honest with myself just because I'm expressing my opinion!
I do not understand how you came to the conclusion that I am not honest with myself and why?
I expressed my opinion frankly and transparently and explained the reasons that made me take this position. During the discussion, I accepted the opinions of all those who discussed me and treated them with respect, even though some try to obscure the truth and blame me.
So please, let's share information and experience, Please read my topic again to know that I expressed my opinion honestly through my experience.
You continue down the same loser path of refusing to take responsibility and being honest with yourself. The majority of reported sales, probably 99% are all true. The problem is you, nothing else.

Honesty starts with yourself, you didn't even start. I suggest if you seek confirmation to any of your troubles, if you seek big groups to confirm that nothing is your fault, post a tiktok video about your domaining failure. That crowd will confirm all your suspicions and cuddle you all the way to homelessness. Make sure to use the word honesty, authenticity etc. they will love you.

•••
You continue down the same loser path of refusing to take responsibility and being honest with yourself. The majority of reported sales, probably 99% are all true. The problem is you, nothing else.

Honesty starts with yourself, you didn't even start. I suggest if you seek confirmation to any of your troubles, if you seek big groups to confirm that nothing is your fault, post a tiktok video about your domaining failure. That crowd will confirm all your suspicions and cuddle you all the way to homelessness. Make sure to use the word honesty, authenticity etc. they will love you.
Lots of frustration. This obliterates the truth by not giving any opportunity to express opinion freely. It is enough to blame the victim, you have to see what the executioner did. Do you have any experience or any some thing good to share with me other than frustration? I am really frustrated and need encouragement

•••
I went through your entire portfolio. Goals Aloud might have potential but that is literally the only name I didn’t immediately think was nonsensical or worthless. Did you have a clear reason or strategy for any of these purchases?

•••
Lots of frustration. This obliterates the truth by not giving any opportunity to express opinion freely. It is enough to blame the victim, you have to see what the executioner did. Do you have any experience or any some thing good to share with me other than frustration? I am really frustrated and need encouragement
LOL you have to be a troll, nice job!

•••
I went through your entire portfolio. Goals Aloud might have potential but that is literally the only name I didn’t immediately think was nonsensical or worthless. Did you have a clear reason or strategy for any of these purchases?
thank you for replaying. Well I'm not saying all my domains are good but I definitely have some good ones.
Goals Aloud is old domain is 14 years old. You can see the first comments We have already discussed why I bought some domains and I explained it

•••
I will tell you my opinion, I m sure you was inspired by my comments, you wrote what I did not dare to do.
I have more than 1500 domains and did not sell any until today, going by the 3rd year of domaining, will hope to sell for remaining 5 years, after this period is over and I lose all money that i invested, as I warned in other posts, I will show hell to domaining community as a whole, I will expose are their black holes.

I agree there are indeed solid true sales but many are fake, to generate hand regs.
You should concentrate on what million of end users want, not what only you know and understand, that is what may bring success in sales.

My involvement into domaining is only because I know something from the future that 8 billions of humans don't know yet, this is the only reason why I got into domaining, you need to foresee what is to come, in this way you hand reg what nobody knows and after they acknowledge it you will get sales, it is like knowing about bitcoin before it gets to the top, something like that.
In the end it is my own fairy tale and I m the only one to blame for my failure, I would say 70% i m responsible for my failure the other 30% are those members from different communities.

•••
I will tell you my opinion, I m sure you was inspired by my comments, you wrote what I did not dare to do.
I have more than 1500 domains and did not sell any until today, going by the 3rd year of domaining, will hope to sell for remaining 5 years, after this period is over and I lose all money that i invested, as I warned in other posts, I will show hell to domaining community as a whole, I will expose are their black holes.

I agree there are indeed solid true sales but many are fake, to generate hand regs.
You should concentrate on what million of end users want, not what only you know and understand, that is what may bring success in sales.

My involvement into domaining is only because I know something from the future that 8 billions of humans don't know yet, this is the only reason why I got into domaining, you need to foresee what is to come, in this way you hand reg what nobody knows and after they acknowledge it you will get sales, it is like knowing about bitcoin before it gets to the top, something like that.
In the end it is my own fairy tale and I m the only one to blame for my failure, I would say 70% i m responsible for my failure the other 30% are those members from different communities.
Thank you for the comment. I agree with you that I should sell what millions of people like to buy, This is a good point.
My intention in writing the post was to express my opinion and raise this problem to exchange experiences and information, and I did not understand why some people reacted excessively by defending companies and blaming me. This makes my doubts grow. I am trying to raise the problem to find solutions so that the Community is honest and does not take advantage of the needs of others.
Take a look at most of the topics and you will find that they always convince people to buy a lot of domains and sometimes they convince us to buy domains worth 2000 dollars to sell later for xxxxxx!
There is no guarantee that you will sell for this value, so why this excessive encouragement to buy? Doesn't it make us wonder who benefits?
Don't we have the right to say our problems and object to negative things in order to create a conscious and honest society whose goal is to give correct information and exchange real experiences to create real opportunities for others? Shouldn't we as a Community contribute to preventing exploiters from spreading false information to entice people to buy worthless things? thats why i writ this post. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and experience.

•••
Don't think you can hide the truth and stop me from expressing my opinion :xf.smile:

•••
A few comments on the OP post.
  1. I believe the sales reported in NameBio and DNJournal. Social media, it depends who is posting the confidence I have, and in most cases they don't give full information anyway.
  2. Many names that sell never get developed or even NS changed. This continues to puzzle me but is across sales prices and TLDs.
  3. I think rather a lot of names get purchased because someone has an intention to develop, but never do.
  4. Yes, absolutely true that there are many domainer transactions. This is not a statistics based number but I think easily 10 wholesale for every 1 retail. Yes, I agree, the registrars and registries depend on domainers to be as profitable as they are.
  5. In general we as domainers register and acquire too many names.
  6. A few sales seem hard to believe. In many cases that is due to links or an original owner letting a name expire and getting it back, probably bidding against the HD bot, etc. There are a few that can't be explained by this. I can't explain them.
  7. I think many don't properly account for the type of name that sells in each extension is different. The type of name that sells in .io, .xyz etc. is not just some multiple of the .com, there is a different emphasis. Maybe in time .io and .xyz will become sufficiently registered and use broadened that will change, but right now it does not.
Bob

•••
A few comments on the OP post.
  1. I believe the sales reported in NameBio and DNJournal. Social media, it depends who is posting the confidence I have, and in most cases they don't give full information anyway.
  2. Many names that sell never get developed or even NS changed. This continues to puzzle me but is across sales prices and TLDs.
  3. I think rather a lot of names get purchased because someone has an intention to develop, but never do.
  4. Yes, absolutely true that there are many domainer transactions. This is not a statistics based number but I think easily 10 wholesale for every 1 retail. Yes, I agree, the registrars and registries depend on domainers to be as profitable as they are.
  5. In general we as domainers register and acquire too many names.
  6. A few sales seem hard to believe. In many cases that is due to links or an original owner letting a name expire and getting it back, probably bidding against the HD bot, etc. There are a few that can't be explained by this. I can't explain them.
  7. I think many don't properly account for the type of name that sells in each extension is different. The type of name that sells in .io, .xyz etc. is not just some multiple of the .com, there is a different emphasis. Maybe in time .io and .xyz will become sufficiently registered and use broadened that will change, but right now it does not.
Bob
Thanks a lot for commenting and sharing useful information

•••
I agree that some of the reported sales seem sketchy. Especially when it is random gibberish.

•••
Lots of frustration.

Points of encouragement: in
1) You're not alone. I used to read all those high-value sales reports. Between that and the listing for "Reg of the Day," I was enticed to buy more domain names. Now I've effectively put myself in "domain buying detox." For domains, no sales = no buying. And, for now, I avoid reading the "report your sales" section. This seems to be working to minimize the buying temptations.
2) Sales appear to be pretty darn lousy overall for many So, you probably have plenty of company here, and hopefully will find a way to put this experience under your belt and move on to better pursuits.

•••
I agree that some of the reported sales seem sketchy. Especially when it is random gibberish.
I think most of them, because it is unreasonable for a person to pay this amount and then not put a blank page as little as possible! But they do not do that, and if they do, their site is full of viruses. I think that some sales are not real, they are just advertising for the marketplace or the registrar.

•••
Points of encouragement: in
1) You're not alone. I used to read all those high-value sales reports. Between that and the listing for "Reg of the Day," I was enticed to buy more domain names. Now I've effectively put myself in "domain buying detox." For domains, no sales = no buying. And, for now, I avoid reading the "report your sales" section. This seems to be working to minimize the buying temptations.
2) Sales appear to be pretty darn lousy overall for many So, you probably have plenty of company here, and hopefully will find a way to put this experience under your belt and move on to better pursuits.
I agree with you, The problem is when we object, they don't give us any opportunity to express our experience and immediately they try to mute our voices, either by blaming us or by sarcasm. so why

•••
When are you buying domain name , you should think like the end-user.

If its sound not good for development, leave it otherwise you are losing money .

•••
When are you buying domain name , you should think like the end-user.

If its sound not good for development, leave it otherwise you are losing money .
Good advice, thank you for sharing your opinion and experience. Yes, I learned the lesson, and this is the reason I wrote this post just to spread awareness and not get new members to be drawn into this trap. This is how we build an honest community by exchanging experiences, tips and useful information. Thank you

•••
Back