Dynadot

poll .top is basically a Chinese cctld

NameSilo
Watch

.top is basically a Chinese cctld

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I agree

votes
    70.6%
  • That's not true

votes
    29.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I was looking at .top sales and given the sale so far, it looks like it is a CHinese cctld. Because the only terms you'd find that sold are all Chinese.

I think only or mostly the Chinese are buying the .top extension.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It was discussed many times already, use searchbox.

What you expect if GoDaddy is not even .TOP accredited still???

I sold the only one Non-English .TOP for $850 inbound.
Buyer was from Moscow, individual.

•••
what's unknown...?
upload_2020-7-18_18-25-12.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Plus all the top 5 registrars where .top is mostly registered are Chinese.

•••
Believe .top still has potential due to low renew

i invite @jmcc discuss

Last edited:
•••
.top has very low potential because there is .cn

•••
The vast majority of registrants are from China. That does not mean it acts as country code for China. The .cn sees more real use although lots of .com dominate. Among new extensions, there are now considerably more .icu registered in China than .top, although lots of both.

That does not mean no English word sales. If you set NameBio to category dictionary word and subcategory English there are 373 sales, many at good prices. For some reason NameBio call single letter words, so you have to ignore those, but many genuine English words. Here is list
https://namebio.com/?s==gTO4YjM1gjM

The actual use of top is very limited relative to registrations though. Most seem only held as speculation.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Good singular English words in .TOP are usually Premiums...
So they were regged for the assigned fee, then standard renewal.

Last edited:
•••
Overall from my experience, current conversion in .TOP is like selling .info/.biz... or even below them.
So keep this in mind.

Last edited:
•••
Very interesting! Something to watch out for in the future.

•••
Believe .top still has potential due to low renew

i invite @jmcc discuss
This is one indicator that .TOP has not gone mainstream in terms of development and renewals. It compares the domain names in the zone file from the same day/month in the previous year with the zone file for the current day/month. The figures below are for the .TOP July 2019/July 2020 quick delta.
July 2019: 3,155,838
Retained: 838,170 (26.56%)
Deleted: 2,317,668 (73.44%)

This isn't as accurate as a renewals percentage as it is simply compariing domain names in one zone file with another. However, low/discounted registration fees mean that it is often cheaper to register a new domain name than to renew a domain name at the full renewal fee.

It is massively (from memory, over 80%) Chinese in terms of website IPs and usage. In terms of domaining, it is just like a ccTLD and that means that anyone domaning in it has to have a knowledge of the languages and the markets.One of the things that I learned from some research on registrars and hosters over the past few months is that some Chinese registrations that may appear to be strange in English are actually spelled out phonetically in English. The other aspect is that numbers are far more important in this respect (as Kassey Lee has explained well) with Chinese registrations.

Regards...jmcc

•••
You cannot top the way it was represented here by one enthusiast. A representative came in damage control but there would be a firm perception here that your buying low end over top.

•••
You cannot top the way it was represented here by one enthusiast. A representative came in damage control but there would be a firm perception here that your buying low end over top.
The .TOP and the Chinese market is very different from the US and Rest of World market. It is still a very young market so the renewal rates are low compared to the renewal rates with .COM or other mature TLDs. The low renewal rates are also due, in part, to the low reg fees.

Regards...jmcc

•••
As a domain name investor and enthusiast from China, I would like to say that the .top domain name is indeed loved by many Chinese investors because of its low price, and it has created an amazing number of registrations, but this does not represent its true value. . I personally only invested in two .top domains and one of them was sold to desktop.com. There is only one left in the warehouse.

•••
As a domain name investor and enthusiast from China, I would like to say that the .top domain name is indeed loved by many Chinese investors because of its low price, and it has created an amazing number of registrations, but this does not represent its true value. . I personally only invested in two .top domains and one of them was sold to desktop.com. There is only one left in the warehouse.

Can you share it?
is it top.top :xf.smile: Or toptoptop.top.

Last edited:
•••
Can you share it?
is it top.top :xf.smile: Or toptoptop.top.

thank,
It is actually desk.top, this domain name was directly acquired by my partner from the .top registry. Everyone knows that the registry will change domain names with higher value or better meaning to premium registration, and the price is very high. So I contacted the registry directly for negotiation, and finally reached an agreement with a mutually satisfactory price. A few months after we got it, we received an offer to buy. At that time, we could not determine that the buyer was desktop.com, so we did not open a high price. When the transaction was completed, we found that it jumped to desktop. com, then I knew that the original buyer was them. Haha

•••
thank,
It is actually desk.top, this domain name was directly acquired by my partner from the .top registry. Everyone knows that the registry will change domain names with higher value or better meaning to premium registration, and the price is very high. So I contacted the registry directly for negotiation, and finally reached an agreement with a mutually satisfactory price. A few months after we got it, we received an offer to buy. At that time, we could not determine that the buyer was desktop.com, so we did not open a high price. When the transaction was completed, we found that it jumped to desktop. com, then I knew that the original buyer was them. Haha
Can you share the price if you don't mind? And that is a damn good domain name and your ingenuity and foresightedness to negotiate directly is amazing.

Did you get Laptop also? Rooftop will also have a pretty good premium

Last edited:
•••
Can you share the price if you don't mind?

Thanks,
The transaction price is $11,000. This price is really affordable for the terminal, perhaps not satisfactory to us. However, the good news is that the domain name we are selling has been activated by the terminal. This domain name has played its due value, which is really gratifying. Very happy for this.

•••
Thanks,
The transaction price is $11,000. This price is really affordable for the terminal, perhaps not satisfactory to us. However, the good news is that the domain name we are selling has been activated by the terminal. This domain name has played its due value, which is really gratifying. Very happy for this.

Refreshing transparency; thank you

I will say this about Top;
One of, only ngtld below com renewal price.
I admire that; even if it increases risk of spam
i’m sick of BS like $800 .bond or $2k .car .cars
imagine how many years .top one year those.

Last edited:
•••
Can you share the price if you don't mind? And that is a damn good domain name and your ingenuity and foresightedness to negotiate directly is amazing.

Did you get Laptop also? Rooftop will also have a pretty good premium

Yes, there are only two .top domain names, desk.top and lap.top, now only lap.top is left.

•••
Thanks,
Totally Agree. Nothing like seeing a domain you sold put to proper use.
I also like the price of all of the good words as shown on Namebio..
They do have a market even if it is small.
I just snagged rupee and enrol as they were available
I like Rupee personally
Enrol is the British Spelling for Enroll, Damn the Muriccans for messing with the queen's english
But it is related to admissions so might have some value to the right buyer
:)

•••
thank,
Wow... What is your price expectation for lap.top :)
I call dibs on it if you ever want to sell wholesale..

•••
Refreshing transparency; thank you

I will say this about Top;
One of, only ngtld below com renewal price.
I admire that; even if it increases risk of spam
i’m sick of BS like $800 .bond or $2k .car .cars
imagine how many years .top one year those

Yes, the renewal price of .top is indeed very low. Perhaps this is the business strategy of the Registrar to obtain more registrations at a low price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back