IT.COM

discuss Today I purchased Movie.com and Penny.com on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
SORRY FOR THE CLICK BAIT

Hey folks

Today I purchased Movie.com and Penny.com on afternic. Both purchases were BIN.

OK TOO GOOD TOO BE TRUE.. RIGHT?

Yeah I figured it was too. While browsing through the recently listed names on afternic I came across Movie.com, listed with a buy it now price of $2,000.

upload_2016-8-22_14-53-4.png

I pressed the buy it now button and entered into escrow. Ive seen this sort of thing before on afternic and other marketplaces before.

I decided to check out the sellers other domain names, they had 1 other name listed for sale. Penny.com with a BIN price of $500. I pressed buy it now and enterd into escrow for this name as well.

upload_2016-8-22_14-55-9.png

Once escrow began, I wrote a message to my contact at afternic indicating I figured these were fraudulent listings. The escrow team at afternic got back to me with the following email.

To: Buyer
Domain: movie.com
Hidden from other party: yes
--

Hello, Thank you for your purchase of this domain. This was a third party brokered domain and we have determined the seller does not own the domain name. We apologize for the inconvenience but are forced to cancel this transaction. We have taken action against the seller and suspended them from our services. Again we apologize for the inconvenience on this one. Best Regards, Aaron Fox Escrow Support Rep

Must add a thank you to will black from afternic for taking care of this.

JUST AN FYI

Judge

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great info. I am sure it will save many of us time and headache!

•••
Great info. I am sure it will save many of us time and headache!
I figured it was fraud so after entering escrow I wrote an email to their team to investigate. Thing is I hope it actually was fraud and that they just didn't cancel because of the low prices??

I'm sure it was fraud but left me wondering

•••
Too bad it was a mistake, I would have offered you $5000 for Movie for a quick flip :)

•••
Too bad it was a mistake, I would have offered you $5000 for Movie for a quick flip :)
Would have been like winning the lottery, I would have held that forever for a 7 figure sale!

•••
Once escrow began, I wrote a message to my contact at afternic indicating I figured these were fraudulent listings. The escrow team at afternic got back to me with the following email.

--

Hello, Thank you for your purchase of this domain. This was a third party brokered domain and we have determined the seller does not own the domain name. We apologize for the inconvenience but are forced to cancel this transaction. We have taken action against the seller and suspended them from our services. Again we apologize for the inconvenience on this one. Best Regards, Aaron Fox Escrow Support Rep

JUST AN FYI

Judge

And what about Penny.com?

•••
Would have been like winning the lottery, I would have held that forever for a 7 figure sale!

And instead all you got were some headaches? Was it worth it?

•••
Reply to them: Thank you for wasting my time.

•••
And what about Penny.com?
Same email in response. For me it was more about ousting the fraud er then anything else. Anyway..

•••
Even in the .0000000000001% chance these "too good to be true" listings occur, I would always take a shot

•••
maybe some days you will win a lottery like this :D

•••
Even in the .0000000000001% chance these "too good to be true" listings occur, I would always take a shot

Was similar scenario when I purchased airline.net, got it for an awesome price and flipped it within 30 days for $7500

•••
SORRY FOR THE CLICK BAIT

Hey folks

Today I purchased Movie.com and Penny.com on afternic. Both purchases were BIN.

OK TOO GOOD TOO BE TRUE.. RIGHT?

Yeah I figured it was too. While browsing through the recently listed names on afternic I came across Movie.com, listed with a buy it now price of $2,000.

Show attachment 37343

I pressed the buy it now button and entered into escrow. Ive seen this sort of thing before on afternic and other marketplaces before.

I decided to check out the sellers other domain names, they had 1 other name listed for sale. Penny.com with a BIN price of $500. I pressed buy it now and enterd into escrow for this name as well.

Show attachment 37344

--

JUST AN FYI

Judge

thanks for the tips.
hope it didn't cost you much time and headache.

•••
I purchased MerryChristmas.com off Godaddy for just $250 (counter offer) lol

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back