Dynadot

discuss Thread in my name when I did not create it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Who took it upon themselves to put the omniverse thread in my name?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/om...ur-names-and-discussion-thread.1255969/unread

I did not start that thread, did not want to start a separate thread and made that quite clear when I tagged one of the mods on there.....

It's a bit of pi*s take that you can do that if you ask me

Please take my name of the thread that I did not create.......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can imagine an additional workflow where members can pick section, topic, and more, before it gets published elsewhere. But it's a lot of work to implement. How are other XF sites doing this?

Last edited:
•••
Are you trying to say that there is no way to remove my name from a thread I did not create?
In fairness, you created the post. A thread is only: a post with a title, and it allows other posts to be attached to it. There's really nothing else to a thread.

The moderator chose the title, but you can let us know if you have a different title that you'd like it to use.

The best solution is probably to have these threads show as being created by a generic account named something like "Split Thread" or "Thread Splitter" with the first post explaining where it was split from and optionally why.

However, we don't have a way to do that yet. It would have to be developed.

If you have a more immediate suggestion, we're happy to try to help.

•••
Not speaking for @NickB here, but with my example I'd then rather have seen that the thread were not created at all. The content was useful but appeared not to fit in the original thread. Bottomline is that creating a new thread has a lot of nuance, it includes the right timing, the right title, the right author, and the right accompanying postings that were moved together to the new thread (aka context).

Last edited:
•••
I'd then rather have seen that the thread were not created at all
That's fair, but members sometimes get quite upset if the content that they took time to create is deleted, so moving it is often a better solution to preserve their contributions and respect their time.

While we understand it's unrealistic and that mistakes happen, our preference is that all content be on topic and relevant to the thread where it's posted, so when that isn't the case, it is reasonable to expect that some sort of consequence will follow (e.g., it will be deleted or moved).

The way to avoid it is to carefully try to stay on topic within threads.

The best solution is probably to have these threads show as being created by a generic account named something like "Split Thread" or "Thread Splitter" with the first post explaining where it was split from and optionally why.
Does anyone feel this solution is not ideal?

If it's agreeable, the tech team can try to add it soon.

•••
•••
That's fair, but members sometimes get quite upset if the content that they took time to create is deleted, so moving it is often a better solution to preserve their contributions and respect their time.

While we understand it's unrealistic and that mistakes happen, our preference is that all content be on topic and relevant to the thread where it's posted, so when that isn't the case, it is reasonable to expect that some sort of consequence will follow (e.g., it will be deleted or moved).

The way to avoid it is to carefully try to stay on topic within threads.

Does anyone feel this solution is not ideal?

If it's agreeable, the tech team can try to add it soon.

Let's not open that can of on/off topic worms - metaverses are part of the omniverse :xf.wink: - I wonder how many "off topic" technology posts are in all of the niche threads ....a lot converge at a certain point....but anyway moving swiftly on........

I would not be upset if my posts where deleted - already suggested this.....

Try that solution, if it does not work I suppose we have to leave it as it is.......

•••

Agree.

I had a thread created by splitting where I am the author some time ago - https://www.namepros.com/threads/problems-bugs-and-fixes-at-afternic-report-problems-here.1006373/ - thankfully the thread title reflected what I'd have suggested!

I had no idea that could happen and I was surprised so I do think improvements or adjustments to the process are needed, and yes I do want NP to retain content as much as possible.

•••
Last edited:
•••

Probably a good direction.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back