discuss Thoughts on partial sales reports

NameSilo
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

Just had my first big sale in my domaining journey! Wanted to share it with everyone here on NP :)

It was a domain I had purchased for $15 when I was waiting at the bar at some birthday party.
The funny part is that it was a typo... and I hadn't realized that until I clicked purchase and checked out on Godaddy. So I told the bartender to make my drink a double since I had just wasted $15 for a bad domain.

But... after further research, it turns out that multiple companies are using the exact same name (very minor variations) so I naturally got excited and listed it on Godaddy as make an offer.

Got my first offer for $20 and thought this is all it could be worth... but I decided to counter with $2000.

A couple of hours later, the $1000 offer comes in :)

And that's how I made my first $1000!

Thank you to everyone here on NP for the advice and the unlimited well of knowledge. I will keep learning from minds like you and hopefully make more sales $!

:)

Though I love reading domain sales no matter what the amount is but this is yet another waste of time thread by not sharing the domain and wasting time of others. No doubts you didn't had sale but not sharing the name is useless to share any other detail IMO.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Waste of time...
I blame also the guys who cheer this threads

•••
It's good no one is giving some $ or BTC in exchange of NP likes, else there would definitely be many fake sales around like this one. That too of 6 figures :xf.laugh:

The more amount of sale is shared, the more $/BTC is given :-P
Agreed. Many 'PRO' & Regular Domain sellers on NP have disclosed names without any issues when they reported it. That's how you make a legal claim.

If you have NDA in your sale, don't open a thread. Simple.
If you can't provide full / complete info, don't bother opening a thread. Simple.

Last edited:
•••
Completely agree!

Another nonsensical thread. Waste of time.
There should be some rule in place to report the domain, else don't bother reporting. I would be interested to know from such people to give just one logical reason behind sharing the amount and niche which will be really helpful. Suppose if this OP says niche, then who doesn't know IOT? Is this something really no one was aware of?

This is not only waste of time but making people not to bother checking such sales thread in future if such trend keeps on going.

I request MODS/Admin(s) of NamePros to make some necessary changes to rules. Or at least start a poll to see what others are looking for.

I disagree with you on this bro. We should learn to respect people's right to disclose or not to disclose sales. Sharing this news will let people know that IOT names are still selling and selling well because it is one of the most rarely talked about niche on here at the moment.

I would bet that many IOT names have been selling but sellers are not reporting in order to keep the news to themselves and if this OP can come out and let us know IOT name sold, as opposed to those who have kept their tracks hidden, I feel he deserves to be commended. At least he showed prove of escrow wherein others just come in here and make blank reportage of names to which they still don't show prove that it sold.

Another reason might be he just want to prevent people from bombarding the buyer with the hope of selling more IOT names to him, considering the niche and you know how this evolve in an industry like this when you disclose a buyer and a domain name you sold.

Sincerely, let him be as long as he showed prove that a name actually was paid for via escrow, I see no problem.

•••
I disagree with you on this bro. We should learn to respect people's right to disclose or not to disclose sales. Sharing this news will let people know that IOT names are still selling and selling well because it is one of the most rarely talked about niche on here at the moment.

I would bet that many IOT names have been selling but sellers are not reporting in order to keep the news to themselves and if this OP can come out and let us know IOT name sold, as opposed to those who have kept their tracks hidden, I feel he deserves to be commended. At least he showed prove of escrow wherein others just come in here and make blank reportage of names to which they still don't show prove that it sold.

Another reason might be he just want to prevent people from bombarding the buyer with the hope of selling more IOT names to him, considering the niche and you know how this evolve in an industry like this when you disclose a buyer and a domain name you sold.

Sincerely, let him be as long as he showed prove that a name actually was paid for via escrow, I see no problem.

You need to check this - https://www.namepros.com/posts/6683878

Even if the niche is IOT, weren't you aware of IOT earlier? How can that be helpful to you?
If OP is so caring about the buyer of getting bombarded with email from different sellers, still it doesn't make sense to publish incomplete post.

•••
Main issue here is transparency.

Industry veterans and amateurs alike have seen their fair share of scams, and have every right to want to protect the integrity of the information shared here by demanding full disclosure.

I guess if it's not verifiable, it didn't happen -- I agree, and anything else is really just spam until it's confirmed, as it's damaging to the industry if not it's not 100% truthful
reporting.

Last edited:
•••
When I post my sales on NP, I give every possible detail I can. If the buyer does not want me to disclose the name, then I do not report the sale.

The point of the sales thread is to build a database of sales for the sake of transparency and education for others. While it’s nice to get the appreciation from peers for a sale, people shouldn’t be posting half-reported sales or making brand new threads for sales unless they are truly special. NP is a professional forum for domainers, not Facebook or twitter swimming for likes and upvotes.

IMO

•••
When I post my sales on NP, I give every possible detail I can. If the buyer does not want me to disclose the name, then I do not report the sale.

NP is a professional forum for domainers, not Facebook or twitter swimming for likes and upvotes.

IMO

Totally agree!

•••
Crypto domain .co sold @ Afternic BIN 500 USD

Love afternic :) had been trying SEDO for a while, afterNic worked great
another thread without any info :banghead::banghead::banghead:

i should stop reading namepros discussion threads nowadays :hurting::muted: >:(>:(

•••
I will post the name once the sale is complete.
Ah, it's not complete yet? So why have you posted it in 'Domain Name Sales' section???

•••
So is this where our thoughts on sale threads without a name have been exiled to? After that last debacle I hope it becomes clear why those kind of threads should be discouraged. Too easy to lie with partial info.

•••
Some are getting excited, reporting prior to closing the deal too..

•••
What confuses me is that on a recent thread; https://www.namepros.com/threads/offer-comes-in-at-30-000-out-of-the-blue.1077650/ the OP kept everyone in the loop regarding a big sale which eventually went through.

For whatever reason, he was not able to disclose the name:

‘Great news! Escrow just closed and sale is final. I can't release the name but here's some details:’

And yet, he still got plenty of likes, and naming no names, quite a few from NP’ers who on this thread are in agreement with the OP, wanting ‘complete disclosure’.

So what’s it to be? Remove LarryDomain’s $15k sale thread because he wouldn’t or couldn’t release the name, or glean what we can from the information given and enjoy the fact someone has put the time and energy in to help keep this forum an entertaining and educational medium for domain investors around the world?

Last edited:
•••
What confuses me is that on a recent thread; https://www.namepros.com/threads/offer-comes-in-at-30-000-out-of-the-blue.1077650/ the OP kept everyone in the loop regarding a big sale which eventually went through.

For whatever reason, he was not able to disclose the name:

‘Great news! Escrow just closed and sale is final. I can't release the name but here's some details:’

And yet, he still got plenty of likes, and naming no names, quite a few from NP’ers who on this thread are in agreement with the OP, wanting ‘complete disclosure’.

So what’s it to be? Remove LarryDomain’s $15k sale thread because he wouldn’t or couldn’t release the name, or glean what we can from the information given and enjoy the fact someone has put the time and energy in to help keep this forum an entertaining and educational medium for domain investors around the world?

The latter..

The thread isn't in "domain sales" . Its in "domain discussion", they were seeking advice from the beginning .

Last edited:
•••
Mark me down as being fully in agreement with @AbdulBasit.com here. Report all the details of a sale, or report nothing.

The recent "prank" about a $30,000 sale in the IOT niche shows exactly why there should be zero tolerance for giving partial information in a sales thread (https://www.namepros.com/threads/30-000-sold-iot-com-9-letters.1077712/page-3#post-6684152). Scams like this force us to question every single sales report that doesn't include a full name.

Some have argued that members who disagree with partial sales reports should just ignore those threads, but I strongly disagree with this stance. I have no problem ignoring opinion posts that I disagree with, but in this case we're talking about posts that contain incomplete or misrepresented facts. We can't ignore that, and there should be absolutely zero tolerance for it. Allowing partially reported sales undermines the credibility of the forum; it wastes the time of all who click on the threads in an attempt to learn; and it misleads newer members who don't know any better than to believe the hype.

I find it particularly frustrating when I personally go to the effort of reporting all details of my sales, with additional anecdotes included, in order to help give back to a community that has taught me a lot. We all take so much from NP. Is it really that difficult to give back?

@Support Team - Is this discussion being reviewed and analyzed? Is there a chance that a final decision on this issue will be made at some point?

•••
When I announce a sale, I don't give the name. I give hints to the name, but I don't give the name. I have my own reasons for this. (No, I don't make large sales, either. Mine are in the $XXX.) I only post in the niche forum that I sell, also. I don't post in the Reported Sales forum.

I do give other info, such as method of sale, first contact, price, name, keyword in the domain, payment method, etc. I find that info useful, as well. I actually find that info more useful when reading about a sale rather than the domain name.

If you don't like that I don't give the name, that's fine. I don't care. I'm too old and don't care about the snowflakes in today's society.

Edit: OK, if reporting in the actual thread for Sales, then yes, I'd be ok with the rule being that a domain must be named. I only post within the niche I sell and choose not to report within the sales thread.

Last edited:
•••
When I announce a sale, I don't give the name. I give hints to the name, but I don't give the name. I have my own reasons for this. (No, I don't make large sales, either. Mine are in the $XXX.) I only post in the niche forum that I sell, also. I don't post in the Reported Sales forum.

I do give other info, such as method of sale, first contact, price, name, keyword in the domain, payment method, etc. I find that info useful, as well. I actually find that info more useful when reading about a sale rather than the domain name.

If you don't like that I don't give the name, that's fine. I don't care. I'm too old and don't care about the snowflakes in today's society.

Edit: OK, if reporting in the actual thread for Sales, then yes, I'd be ok with the rule being that a domain must be named. I only post within the niche I sell and choose not to report within the sales thread.

There's absolutely value in those things, but without knowing the name, it's limited. And they can be talked about in a general sense without putting them in the context of a sale that you're unwilling to share with other members.

It's like you're telling us about this amazing meal you cooked, and everyone you make it for loves it. You tell us what style of food it is, the kind of pan you cook it on, what kind of knife you use for chopping, what kind of oven you have, how long it took to prepare the meal, and where you bought all the ingredients... And after all that build-up, I ask you, "Man, that sounds amazing! What's the recipe??".... And then you say you can't tell me.

You know? Like, all the information about your process is great, but if I don't have something specific to apply it to, then I'm ultimately just using it to make educated guesses about how to improve my own skills.

I don't know... maybe there's a place for partial reporting. At the very least, if it's going to continue to be allowed, I think the rules need to tighten up so that only trusted members such as yourself can do it.

•••
I don't know... maybe there's a place for partial reporting. At the very least, if it's going to continue to be allowed, I think the rules need to tighten up so that only trusted members such as yourself can do it.
That could be why I post my sales in the niche. For example, I recently sold a geographic location CBD domain, which I will post in the marijuana forum. It will contain the pertinent info, but not the entire domain. (For this particular sale, I might create a general thread because it comes with a suggestion.)

•••
•••
Name + Price must be compulsory. There is no point in sharing sales without that info unless you're looking for likes. If you have sales that can't be disclosed then don't mention them, it's very simple. Be humble, compliant and don't waste people's time by providing partial information.

If I just sold a Ferrari for $300k with no NDA am I gonna tell my car salesman friends " Hey guys I sold a ****ari for $300k!".....what use is that to them or me? If I can't even attribute the sale how can anyone confirm it ever happened? What's the point of even revealing it?

Last edited:
•••
Threads like these shouldn't see the light of day

•••
Agree with the Name + Price mandatory disclosure, any other details optional and up to the seller.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back