IT.COM

Those stupid email scammers finally get busted!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Article from Cnet. From Oct.3, but hey I didn't know!

Spanish police have arrested eight people involved in a Nigerian-led e-mail scam believed to have defrauded Internet users of up to $19.8 million (20 million euros).

Five Nigerians, a British man, a Spanish woman, and a minor whose nationality was not disclosed, were arrested in the operation code-named Global Trust. The scam involves sending out mass e-mails that ostensibly come from a prominent man who has tens of millions of dollars but needs help to access it, in return for a share of the proceeds. The group arrested this week claimed to have money stored in safe-deposit boxes in Spain, but told their victims that a debt had been incurred with the company holding the boxes, and that it had to be paid before the money could be released. More than 300 people--most of them from the United States, France, Germany and Spain--paid up before authorities swooped in.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
LMFAO Finally this is funny as hek and good for them..

•••
Never in my wildest dreams would I think something, that was obviously a scam, could trick 300 people into responding. They stole almost 20 million....I mean come on!

•••
same here. someone i know fell for a scam and i was like you are the dumbest....piece of **** i have ever known.

•••
Well, fools are born every day. Always will be, as long as there's greed and poverty in the world.

I, too, have had my moments of weak-mindedness. But overall I do well, and as long as I'm ahead then I'm good.

•••
those stupdid.... scamers

they are SMART scammers but stupid to get caught:hehe: they got GREEDY too:hehe:

some that fell here were business man.?? aparently the scammers
have very "convincing" proofs and documents.

for some its a slim gamble...almost like lotto:kickass:

hope against hope, if you are desperate or greedy:tu:

•••
Let's see...

$19,800,000 divided by 300 people that got scammed = $66,000 each!

If that's a slim gamble, what's a big one?
I was emailed probably 200 times about this crap. There are no documents as far as I know, they just want account numbers and what not to supposedly wire the money into your account. Doesn't take a genious to figure out this is a scam. I'm sorry to say this, but IMO they deserved it. Harsh lesson learned for being stupid!

•••
Originally posted by FruitFish
Let's see...

$19,800,000 divided by 300 people that got scammed = $66,000 each!

If that's a slim gamble, what's a big one?
I was emailed probably 200 times about this crap. There are no documents as far as I know, they just want account numbers and what not to supposedly wire the money into your account. Doesn't take a genious to figure out this is a scam. I'm sorry to say this, but IMO they deserved it. Harsh lesson learned for being stupid!

Problem is, not everyone lives their life in a harsh, competitive environment. A lot of good, decent folks live in communities where everyone is kind and helpful. These folks are not stupid, just unaware of how the outside world works.

•••
lol if thats a slim gamble i guess we are all apart of the poverty level.

•••
Originally posted by armstrong
Problem is, not everyone lives their life in a harsh, competitive environment. A lot of good, decent folks live in communities where everyone is kind and helpful. These folks are not stupid, just unaware of how the outside world works.

I've been in the US all my life so I never really looked at it that way...sorry if I offended anyone!

•••
same here. never seen it that way but then again never seen that kind of community before. and i am in hawaii... all my life i have been here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back