Dynadot

This train has probably left. Domaining... as in starting right now from scratch.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
I think it's too late for someone to start domaining these days.

( Yeah, I know a few might eventually succeed - but that'll be quite rare, I think. )

I mean, what are the odds now for someone who has no skills but just the will to try it?

I started domaining just a few years ago. But then, it was still the real bonanza. Whatever you had, it sold. Price high, price low, nevertheless it sold. That's how I made it into profit in my third year, gradually improving.

Auctions were cheap, domains were cheaper, drops were full of juice. Closeouts, good stuff still falling through the net for us to grab.

Not anymore. 2022 came and passed.

Everything is overpriced now, people probably holding stuff waiting for better times OR for future plans, who knows. And yeah it's clear that you can't make a living when buying domains retail price from the market. You might recoup the monies in a few years, who knows, but it's too risky. And you'll have the money locked in it. And unless you have the $ to buy few high-value names, you are going to also burn money in renewals.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. This isn't about me. I'm alright, and at least in portfolio quality I'm definitely seeing betterment. And yeah, it's also not about the top investors who are still rolling cash although the numbers have diminished a little lately.

It's about someone new, willing to take the plunge and start today. I really don't see it to happen. The sales squeeze means that growing portfolio in the first place from $500 and some beginners luck ain't going to work anymore.

You need a serious budget to start with. And some itch to see it all spent soon...? And you need to make that budget triple at least; as for the next few years you're going to burn through it like there's no tomorrow. And after those years, maybe then, you're going to finally see the end of the tunnel that is the current market and if you have improved enough, then maybe, just maybe you'll see some return on all this hard work, money spent and risk taken.

I look at these guys and dunno if I should encourage them or tell them what they are getting into, and what are the odds.

Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you like the crypto niche

I own cryptogeishas.com if you wanna buy it. its on godaddy auctions right now. or should be soon

Comes with a lot of backlinks and high DR and UR and its in the crypto niche. Also a lot of relevant backlinks to do with crypto. I was going to build it up but not too sure if I'll do that..
What do you know, i think we may be connecting on some level? Assuming "crypto" is a niche, is it possible that "link" is also a niche? They're both considered keywords by godaddy.

Then there's "geishas" that's not a keyword, but I just discovered I could register Geisha.link for a mere $79 and GeishaLink.com for $9 at godaddy.

By "building cryptogeishas up" i assume you mean developing it, right? My point here is, if it's worth developing, wouldn't you think exposure of some sort to the entertainment world (Geisha Girls) might be a better plan than hoping and praying you might sell it via godaddy auctions?

A good friend of mine from Prague owns sex.link, but he's had only a few reasonable offers for it. Why do you think that is? It's obviously do to lack of exposure imo. Sex.link is no different than Sex.com that last sold for 13 million dollars. If this doesn't tell you how fukedup this industry is, nothing will.

Thoughts?

•••
Or .realty before that.

I prefer business models that work in the real world and don't need a paradigm shift to work.

Brad
"paradigm shift"

A paradigm shift—or paradigm change—happens when scientific activity and experimentation begins to contradict premises that experts previously considered unshakable. As a result, a new and different paradigm replaces the dominant paradigm of its day.

Brad....is this what happens when .LINK replaces .com:xf.wink:

•••
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb

•••
•••
I wouldn't waste time attempting to flip non-premium domains unless you can do so in bulk and / or with minimal effort.
For instance, if you live and work in a first world country then spending anything beyond a few hours of effort making $100 on a trade is not going to be worth the opportunity cost.

You're better off doing some research for a couple of days or weeks and then investing at least $x.xxx+ in a promising domain that you can afford to hold onto for years if necessary.

If your goal is to make a living off domaining then it's probably best to work a regular job while studying the market and investing your savings in high quality domains. Quality over quantity. That's what I would do.
That being said, even if it did work out, it would likely take years to become financially independent that way.
It would take talent, aptitude, patience and a significant amount of luck. Studying the market would become your new fulltime job.

•••
hey,

Im jumping in here sharing my thoughts on this. I've been in this market for quite some time now and I was not into making a quick sale or quick buck. I buy good quality domains and keep them for years, many years :) Im not looking to capitalize on them right now, but maybe in 5-10-15 years from now. Right now I have about 30 very good domains which I keep and dont want to sell now, maybe not even in 5 years. Yes they cost money on renewals but the money i spend on renewing these domains is money I otherwise spend on other things that won't make me money in the future.

One example that comes to mind is that I have a domain I bought like 8 years ago for $50, it was a very good deal, i have received three offers so far and rejected them all, the last one was for $2000. maybe in another 10 years it will be worth quite a lot :)

Anyway, i look at this business as a long term investment, maybe it will pay off in the fu ture, maybe it willnot, right now i haven't made any serious money from this but who knows what the future holds :)

•••
I wouldn't waste time attempting to flip non-premium domains unless you can do so in bulk and / or with minimal effort.
For instance, if you live and work in a first world country then spending anything beyond a few hours of effort making $100 on a trade is not going to be worth the opportunity cost.

You're better off doing some research for a couple of days or weeks and then investing at least $x.xxx+ in a promising domain that you can afford to hold onto for years if necessary.

If your goal is to make a living off domaining then it's probably best to work a regular job while studying the market and investing your savings in high quality domains. Quality over quantity. That's what I would do.
That being said, even if it did work out, it would likely take years to become financially independent that way.
It would take talent, aptitude, patience and a significant amount of luck. Studying the market would become your new fulltime job.
The days of owning 10,000+ domains are a thing of the past (for the time being at least). Quality will be the focus.

•••
Back