NameSilo

Third Consecutive UDRP win but this time with RDNH finding!

Labeled as legal in Domain Industry News started by AbdulBasit.com, Aug 20, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. topdom

topdom Established Member

Not the quality of domain, but knowing whether there is a desparate buyer with big pockets who would not consider alternatives, matters. A 3 letter .com generally sells for 25K, both to endusers and domainers, and a few sell for millions. So if you receive a 25K offer at Sedo for your 3 letter, it makes enormous difference whether the buyer is a big rich desparate company or a random company, but Sedo or Afternic won't give any hints because of their "ethics". It is like you get a marriage offer, and only thing you know before responding is skin color, and age. Should counteroffer be 50K or 5M. I also bought a zero estibot domain last year, and sold for 3K, my top sale in the past 12 months, and dropped 4 figure estibot domains... Since there seems to be only one potential buyer, I wouldn't hire a lawyer. Instead I would put 1K price on it, and consider this as selling opportunity. Or defend without a lawyer. What if the lawyer screws things up when you can defend better. This is another possibility. So you won udrp but you didn't make any money, you lost some, and you are hoping the same people will make an offer this time, so you recover costs and make profit. High risk game imo. ( I didn't read all of the initial post above).

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Unsure about @AbdulBasit.com , but after I won UDRPs (and I had <10 in total, some with RDNH found, responded myself in all cases with no lawyers), I simply did not want to sell the domains in question to Complainants. At any price. I hoped to never hear from them (or from their lawyers) again. To the best of my knowledge, all subsequently sold domains ended up in different hands - which is great. One was sold on Sedo, and I was "crossing fingers" not to have the previous complainant on another end - as, indeed, Sedo does not show buyers details.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  3. tonyk2000

Adding to the previous post, UDRPs are unfortunately natural part of domainers life. I'd consider the related fees simply as general business expenses. If you won UDRP - you made future UDRPs less likely (other complainaints will think twice before submitting complaints) and it would be easier for you to respond in future if previous panels already discussed your business and registrations, found that you are in legitimate business (not regging micros0ft domains, famous TMs etc.).

4. AbdulBasit.com

AbdulBasit.com DomainsWeb.com AbdulBasit.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I wonder how and where do you see only one potential buyer?
    Also why do you think lawyer would screw up things? That totally depends on lawyer you hire. One must do homework before hiring a lawyer.

It's part of business where I haven't recovered any money yet in this specific area but overall it's been great. One should consider it as business expense like @tonyk2000 said.

Yes, it's risky but which business isn't risky?

5. AbdulBasit.com

AbdulBasit.com DomainsWeb.com AbdulBasit.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Would you like to share the domains you got hit with UDRP in past?
    Also why you were never interested in selling to the complainants later? Not even at higher price?
    How many domains you currently have in your portfolio?

Thanks! :xf.smile:

6. tonyk2000

I prefer to keep it 100% separately - social (forums/blogs) and business (company, corporate websites, domains owned, whois and legal stuff etc). Even auction bidding handles I use - all are different from the NP username. Nothing too special in UDRPs won, all were generic or descriptive domains, the decisions were published as expected and with the wording "the respondent is blah-blah-blah, represented internally". I simply could not afford lawyers fees for the 1st udrp arrived, it was after only 6 months in domaining, and later - it became interesting and educational to respond myself... Specifically, I learned a lot from the cases with @jberryhill representing domain owners.

Selling domains to these complainants? I do not like them or their lawyers. On the other hand, even though it is simply business - I still want to enjoy what I do each day. And I would not enjoy dealing with the former complainants again. Because I do not like them. Similarly, I do not touch potentially profitable domains if they are related to something I do not like on moral or religious grounds. Yeah, it may be naive or oversensitive - but "the domain is for sale, but not to you, dear former complainant. go away." Revenge? Even it exists here (never thought about it) - then it is to a lesser extent. Other domainers may act differently, no doubts. I think Mike Mann reported sales to the complainants who previously lost UDRPs, @ cosmic prices...

7. ajenipa

ajenipa Established Member

Walaykum Salam, big Congratulations to you

8. golan

golan GolanMedia.com Gold Account VIP

Amazing, AbdulBasit. Cordial congratulations. I just hope you somehow find a way to recoup your expenses from these morons.

9. vkkan

vkkan Established Member

Default rate on respondent was 85 to 90 % i.e no response from respondant. So complainant referring the cases where there is no response.

10. ocsion

ocsion Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice