Dynadot

Thinking of rearranging my portfolio in 2022

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'd like to get some answers to research which seems to be everchanging, or often shaded by the latest numbers.

It's been my impression that .com, .co and the ngtlds have a commanding lead by way of demand. Is that still the same today as it was in 2020? What are the top ten total sales by tld for 2021 to date? Any apparent positive trends?

OK. I missed the crypto and the meta phases, totally. Perhaps I don't get outside NP's enough :) Is there anything new on the horizon?

I look at my portfolio. It's 87% .com. I try to keep it at around 90% But I still am buying ngtlds. I don't think I've sold ANY ngtlds. So should I throw out every ngtld which isn't a single word? Should I throw out my couple of dozen .net .org ,biz .info .us and just give up on them? All my sales this year have been .com. Should I concentrate on .com .co ngltds next year? Which ngtlds? What are the 10 biggest globally?

I see a trend in 5/6/7 char .com brandables. Which are often much more difficult to sell. I've been expanding in that area. But still finding some good ones :) Along with some bad ones :(

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You haven't missed the crypto phase, the likes of ICO's always pop up. On the provisory that you bought a solid ICO, at the right time, which can be an art in itself. With regards to focus / what to keep, depends on the domain (as always). I think you're doing just fine: COM & CO. Everyone has a different niche, different strategy. The reality is getting a buyer is something you can't control, this business is so "waiting orientated", regardless of extension. If you're buying general stuff, for general industries, that are totally and utterly brand worthy, in top selling extensions (predominately COM), you can't play the game much better. IMO

Last edited:
•••
I go for international approach so .com domains only for me in 2022

Watching also .io domain market.

GLTA!

Last edited:
•••
You haven't missed the crypto phase, the likes of ICO's always pop up. On the provisory that you bought a solid ICO, at the right time, which can be an art in itself. With regards to focus / what to keep, depends on the domain (as always). I think you're doing just fine: COM & CO. Everyone has a different niche, different strategy. The reality is getting a buyer is something you can't control, this business is so "waiting orientated", regardless of extension. If you're buying general stuff, for general industries, that are totally and utterly brand worthy, in top selling extensions (predominately COM), you can't play the game much better. IMO

Yeah! Its a waiting game. How long should I wait before I get rid of my .net, .org, biz, .info, .us? Forever has always been a long time.

Also, my ngtlds are in about the same boat as .net etc. How should I differentiate the wheat from the chaff. Keep short & 1 word .ngtlds and a few 2 worders which are personal, and start dumping the rest of my ngtlds? Or is there some light at the end of the tunnel in ngtlds. Which ones? What are the top 5 selling ngtlds?

I "feel" like my portfolio should consist of .com .co and less ngtlds generally.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah! Its a waiting game. How long should I wait before I get rid of my .net, .org, biz, .info, .us? Forever has always been a long time.

Also, my ngtlds are in about the same boat as .net etc. How should I differentiate the wheat from the chaff. Keep short & 1 word .ngtlds and a few 2 worders which are personal, and start dumping the rest of my ngtlds? Or is there some light at the end of the tunnel in ngtlds. Which ones? What are the top 5 selling ngtlds?

I "feel" like my portfolio should consist of .com .co and less ngtlds generally.
I go back to what I said earlier, depends on what it is, which may determine how long. Also, everyone has their own tolerance and circumstance. Personally: I'm impatient, I can't wait 10 years, my absolute max is probably 5. Maybe that would be different if I happened to own a super premium, which I don't. Given the ideal world, even with a super premium that I love (I'd have to love it, given the cost), I probably wouldn't sell. I'd want to develop, and work it out

I don't mind taking a look via DM, if you want me to (share my 2 cents). Your portfolio should definitely contain "COM" predominately (obvious statement). I think "TV" is cool, with the right word. Personal domains should be treated differently, again depending on use / what it is. I've got a handful of personal, but I don't think about their value in the market as their trash (personal for a reason). IMO

Last edited:
•••
For me. I have to 'like' the domains I keep. As I approach the end of my first year back into this game, I have about 15 one year holds I am going to drop.

I run these through NameLiquidate first. Got lucky and sold one for $98 I was going to drop anyway.

My portfolio will be about 125 names after these are liquidated or dropped. 90% COM with 7 % TV and 3% other ( Org, Net, Co.

Cool topic!

•••
For me. I have to 'like' the domains I keep.
Me too. But I'm learning that that isn't the best strategy for consistent sales. Having domains that other people like is the bread and butter.

The problem is, many the domains that others like, I don't want to put my name behind. I don't want to look at or carry them in my portfolio, nor contribute to a bad naming choice.

Names for the ages. Pride of ownership and to build on. That is my long-term agenda for a better-looking Internet. I still make mistakes, many times, about my investments but will continue to strive for a quality-driven foundation.

•••
Stub you're not kidding it's a waiting game even for premium single word dot coms. I think the real question you and all domain resellers have to ask themselves is "How long under worst case scenarios are we willing to wait and pay the renewal fees?" Not to argue with anyone but premium dot coms are where the real big business is no matter how many other extensions come out. There will always be other markets just like there are all sorts of different automobiles makes and models.

•••
Me too. But I'm learning that that isn't the best strategy for consistent sales. Having domains that other people like is the bread and butter.

The problem is, many the domains that others like, I don't want to put my name behind. I don't want to look at or carry them in my portfolio, nor contribute to a bad naming choice.

Names for the ages. Pride of ownership and to build on. That is my long-term agenda for a better-looking Internet. I still make mistakes, many times, about my investments but will continue to strive for a quality-driven foundation.
Very true!! I guess I should have said the names that I like are also the ones I think have the best shot at selling to end users: short, snappy two-keyword generic COMs and single word TVs, COs, Orgs

I have plenty of others I also like that I am liquidating or dropping after analyzing tnem using NameBio, DotDB and OpenCorporates, and Keyword/CPC analysis

•••
I'd say you should seriously revise the ngtlds you're buying/holding. Sold at least 200+ ngtlds since I started buying them two years ago or so. True, got plenty of them, but must say that compared to .coms they seem to sell more often. Still have more .coms than ngtlds but will see after a year or so because ngtlds simply perform better for me. Buying pretty much any extension if I like the name. And. While I own a handful of premium ngtlds, everything I've sold so far have been hand regs from $0.99-$60. Btw, not talking about small price sales (though relative of course). My lowest pricing level is around $800. Lastly, my by far The strongest performing extension for me is .AGENCY. Sold at least 100 of them, out of 300 or so.

•••
My 5 figure .info/.biz sales happened after keeping them for more than a decade. But overall sell-rate seems low. Maybe some outbounding needed. Outbounding doesn't seem to work, .. but once it worked for me or it was a coincidence (no communication).

•••
My 5 figure .info/.biz sales happened after keeping them for more than a decade. But overall sell-rate seems low. Maybe some outbounding needed. Outbounding doesn't seem to work, .. but once it worked for me or it was a coincidence (no communication).

Who even buys .info or .biz let alone for 5 figures?

•••
My top sales were .biz, .info, newtld, .com, .org, cctld, .net; in this order. My top .com sale is about 8th among my sales. But I believe .com will move to the top.

•••
I never arrange my portfolio, but I have to!
BTW, .xyz and .io are rising!

•••
Great thread! Great insights!

I have learnt many lessons in the last decade-plus. I entered the domain selling business about ten years ago, but I gave up a couple of years later when the market was flooded with all manner of extensions. That was a mistake, which I will not repeat. Now I'm building my portfolio for the long haul... I believe I have a good one :)

One question I would like to ask, though; without having to create a new thread: what is your thinking when registering a domain? What's your thought process link before you decide a domain has potential, irrespective of the extension?

•••
Who even buys .info or .biz let alone for 5 figures?

I have sold several high quality .biz domains for thousands, but most are in a low to mid $x,xxx range. Still it is not really an extension I would invest in outside like a top 500 keyword at this point.

My best performing extensions are .com, .org, and .us in that order. I have also sold many .net for strong prices.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have sold several high quality .biz domains for thousands, but most are in a low to mid $x,xxx range. Still it is not really an extension I would invest in outside like a top 500 keyword at this point.

My best performing extensions are .com, .org, and .us in that order. I have also sold many .net for strong prices.

Brad

I don't recall selling ANYTHING other than .com. If I have. It's beyond my memory retention (maybe 3 years before I forget). My records go back way further (decade+) but I've never sold anything other than .com at retail prices. I've not got a lot. Maybe 50 or so .net, .org. .us, including a couple which are not for sale as I also own the .com. either I'm doing something wrong, or my choices were awful.

Last edited:
•••
I've not got a lot. Maybe 50 or so .net, .org. .us, including a couple which are not for sale as I also own the .com. either I'm doing something wrong, or my choices were awful.

Or it could just be a numbers game, like what a lot of domain sales are.

If you only have 50 or so, that is not very many fishing lines in the water.

With a large enough portfolio and decent quality it is easier to overcome the standard end user sell-through rate of around 1% give or take per year.

Not every model is going to work for everyone. I do really well with .US. Not many others do.

Some others do well with .co,
.xyz, .io, etc. Those are not extensions I really deal with.

At the end of the day though, .COM is still where the bulk of the money is.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Agree with everything you said, Brad. I wonder why I'm still investing in NGTLD's. I haven't sold any of them either. And I'm still buying them. At least I'm not buying any more net, org, biz, us :)

•••
About 10 years ago I sold a couple TVs, 1 or 2 US and a Net.

I had been out of domaining for the past 10 years or so, just getting back into it around this time last year.

This past year I have 4 sales with a portfolio that averaged around 125 domains.

No large sales ( nothing above XXX)

All COMs (but COMs are 85% of my portfolio)

•••
Hi

i've been rearranging my list, by letting a few names drop from fabulous to namejet auctions.
and selling off some long time holds, while keeping those with higher potential and of course, retaining those that earn ppc revenue.

now with less than 200 domains, the list has paid for itself and still earns $$$ monthly from parking.

imo...

•••
Hi

i've been rearranging my list, by letting a few names drop from fabulous to namejet auctions.
and selling off some long time holds, while keeping those with higher potential and of course, retaining those that earn ppc revenue.

now with less than 200 domains, the list has paid for itself and still earns $$$ monthly from parking.

imo...

Where do you park your domains?

•••
Where do you park your domains?
(You weren't asking me but) I moved my names to Bodis last September. Just a couple of notables, yesterday I got a $4+ single click on a .net. I also have a hyphenated .com that's brought in over $20 in 3 months. Interestingly, one .org and a few other .net are my next highest earners.

Nothing terribly exciting but it helps to defray some of the rising renewal costs.

Last edited:
•••
I will say .com, .org and .io

•••
•••
Back