Dynadot

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You know why Afternic/GD does not solve domain listings verification?
Check this photo and you will know why.
The fake WOW effect.
Show attachment 231221
the IRS have to check 331 million people's revenue declaration to avoid fraud
and they are still doing their job

•••
You know why Afternic/GD does not solve domain listings verification?
Check this photo and you will know why.
The fake WOW effect.
Well, it's only 23,081,098, if Afternic finally removes the four fake listings:
Doctorsmiley.net, PatientLives.com, Startlovingme.com, and Bostonmedical.net

Afternic still hasn't responded at all. It makes me wonder how much that number includes even listings the the actual owners have even tried to have removed but couldn't get them to respond?

what could someone win in deliberately listing another person's domain ?
the actual owner still have to agree on the transfer for the transaction to be made
At this point, it remains unclear what the entire picture is here?
Admittedly, I've been assuming that perhaps this was intended to act as domain front running. What if, instead, it were used as a way of harming the sellers and the marketplace.

For example, for the seller, losing leads could be a problem. If potential buyers put offers on the fake listings, and no sale happens, there is possibly economic harm to the actual seller. The fake lister doesn't even have to have an intent to sell, only the intent to interfere with any potential sales on this platform to hurt the actual seller using a different platform.

Also, this could be an interesting ruse from some unsavory competitors. One marketplace appeared to have their reputation damaged by "fake sellers," at least with their horrible TrustPilot reviews about the fake sellers The reports relating to fake sellers on Trust Pilot were very strongly worded, and usually involved a statement to the effect that that potential buyer would never use that company again. And buyer beware.

So, economic harm to a company could occur, and there is a possibility that it could even be intentional. That marketplace in question, Sedo, implemented the verifcation requirements, and it appears to have helped their reputation since then, at least on that particular issue.

So, be mindful that this may not simply be a domain front running issue. It may be more complicated or simpler than that.

Last edited:
•••
the actual owner still have to agree on the transfer for the transaction to be made

If you read the full thread you will find the answers. In short:

1- Front runners list domains that are not listed at Afternic but are listed for sale somewhere else (ex: Sedo), then they price the domain at Afternic at a higher price. When a domain sells they go buy it and transfer the domain to Afternic.

2- Some thieves may list many domain in hope some owners opt-in to fast transfer email by mistake. If you own large porfolio then you will not inspect fast transfer opt-in emails everytime you will most likely just click approve without reading the domains.

These are serious loopholes in Afternic system, which can easily be fixed by mandatory TXT record verification for domains added to Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
I have hundreds of domains in my portfolio that I can't list on afternic because they are already listed there by either previous owners or other people who have listed them for no reasons even though they don't own thew domains. I contacted Afternic and they want me to send a screenshot of every domain which is ridiculous because I don't have the time to send dozens of emails with hundreds of screenshots.

There has to be a better way.

AN is a bitch to deal with. I've brought down the count of fake listings for domains managed by me from 786 to 129. Took me months.

They should really stop listing stuff they have no right to list. And yes, no matter the TOS, AN can be held accountable. It's sheer negligence.

If a domain owner hasn't verified ownership, they should delist (or prohibit listing in the first place) going on a simple complaint.

Sending screenshots? What is it? 1999?

Btw, the reason they won't is because they're afraid to step on the toes of the legacy users with large portfolios (you know who you are). These dinosaurs think it's too much hassle to add a txt record in bulk. Get with the times man!

/end rant

•••
AN is a bitch to deal with. I've brought down the count of fake listings for domains managed by me from 786 to 129. Took me months.

They should really stop listing stuff they have no right to list. And yes, no matter the TOS, AN can be held accountable. It's sheer negligence.

If a domain owner hasn't verified ownership, they should delist (or prohibit listing in the first place) going on a simple complaint.
Thank you for having the courage to speak up! And wow, with that many fake listings that you had to deal with, you deserve a rant and then some! Did you really have to send screen shots for each of them?!

Afternic--please do better than this. Get the verifcation system in now, and remove any fraudulent listings immediately.

Last edited:
•••
Good News! The four domains have been removed from the AN listings. It took a phone call this evening just now, and James in customer support was able to verify my ownership with whois (privacy off), and removed the listings within a matter of minutes.

So, this is progress. Now let's see how the rest of the folks on the thread make out. And, we are still awaiting the big announcement.

Last edited:
•••
There are scenarios under which there will be potential loss to the actual owners of the domain, if scammers are listing domains that they don't own. This has already been discussed in this thread, and you may want to read previous posts, in this thread.

•••
can you please tell me how you did it, how you remove the afternic fast transfer on namecheap.
thank you
after reading these thread i got a bit worried.

That was a miscommunication on my side. Sorry about that.

I just verified NameCheap and apparently there is no option to 'REMOVE AfterNic FastTransfer Approval'.
Sorry for the miscommunication. I just got confused it with 'Filter by Fast Transfer' option.

•••
Good News! The four domains have been removed from the AN listings. It took a phone call this evening just now, and James in customer support was able to verify my ownership with whois (privacy off), and removed the listings within a matter of minutes.

So, this is progress. Now let's see how the rest of the folks on the thread make out. And, we are still awaiting the big announcement.
The phone call thing isn't something every one from every country can manage to hook on to, even if they have time. The domain owners would have to burn their wallet, by making phone call, just because Afternic doesn't do ownership verification using TXT Records, which SquadHelp, SEDO, Daaz, etc. are doing.

•••
There was no acknowledgment of a support ticket being submitted.

This is something that every online business should do. Upon submitting ticket they should send and acknowledgement email with when and what we submitted via online support form or email. And even Sav doesn't provide you acknowledgement. ONLY IF and, if so, WHEN they respond then that would be an acknowledgement. Funny that these internet/domain based businesses don't provide acknowledgement for support form submitted. Too much to ask?!

Last edited:
•••
786 fake listing?! Even with 1 fake listing, a domain owner is in trouble, as it's to deal with money.

Negligence is the right word. But, what they don't realize is that it's a matter of time when they will become negligible. Remember BIG brands that almost vanished from market? Example: Blackberry. Yeah, there was a smartphone by that brand, before iPhone and subsequently Android wiped them out.

I see SquadHelp the new iPhone. And, there will be Android too! There is room - enough room - and there is desperate need for them as well.

Why should there even be a an unverified listing?

Sending screenshots? What is it? 1999?

Who should be punished? Victim? Why Ask the victim to spend time to prove ownership?

Ask the scammers who've listed the domains to verify that they're the rightful owner. And if they don't provide ownership proof, BLOCK THEIR ACCOUNTS. If they're NOT BLOCKED, YOU'RE ABETTING THEIR FAKE LISTING and you're DAMN PART OF THE CRIME.

Btw, the reason they won't is because they're afraid to step on the toes of the legacy users with large portfolios (you know who you are). These dinosaurs think it's too much hassle to add a txt record in bulk. Get with the times man!

Again, irrespective how big the portfolio size of the so called legacy users, when the platform itself becomes negligible, they'll vanish from the market. Any business that is not following ethical business practices will not survive in the market, will windup with loss !!!

/end rant

This isn't rant. This is our duty here.

•••
The phone call thing isn't something every one from every country can manage to hook on to, even if they have time.
Good point. The support tickets ideally should be reliable and prompt. Phone calls may not be a good option from some countries.
This is something that every online business should do. Upon submitting ticket they should send and acknowledgement email with what what we submitted via online support form or email. And even Sav doesn't provide you acknowledgement. ONLY IF and, if so, WHEN they respond then that would be an acknowledgement. Funny that these internet/domain based businesses don't provide acknowledgement for support form submitted. Too much to ask?!
This is what really was starting to infuriate me. The lack of any acknowledgment started making me wonder if it wasn't even considered a real issue to them.

Why not have a triage system with the support tickets? Some support tickets allow for the customer to indicate whether the matter is urgent, routine, or low priority. That could be a start. And, allow the submission to be listed in a drop down of categories, that includes fraud and abuse. Those probably could be automatically triaged to high priority.

•••
This is what really was starting to infuriate me. The lack of any acknowledgment started making me wonder if it wasn't even considered a real issue to them.
The 'lack of any acknowledgment' is not based on the 'criticallity of the issue'.
First of all, do they have a 'mechanism/tool/software' in place to send any acknowledgement?
It seems, no, as you didn't get any acknowledgement.

Bodis uses ReAmaze - a help-desk/support system - which automatically sends chat responses via email and email replies to chat. It's 100% perfect system that you can always check and reply to a ticket in either email or online.

Since, GoDaddy has acquired 'ReAmaze', Afternic doesn't need to search for such a tool!
They can right way add it to Afternic and start addressing the issues reported by THE 'real domain owners'.

Attached Bodis' support system. I really like it.

Attachments

• Bodis-support-uses-GoDaddy-GD-brand-ReAmaze.jpg
    Bodis-support-uses-GoDaddy-GD-brand-ReAmaze.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 37
•••
Bodis uses ReAmaze - a help-desk/support system - which automatically sends chat responses via email and email replies to chat. It's 100% perfect system that you can always check and reply to a ticket in either email or online.

Since, GoDaddy has acquired 'ReAmaze', Afternic doesn't need to search for such a tool!
They can right way add it to Afternic and start addressing the issues reported by THE 'real domain owners'.
Yes, that would be helpful. If someone is dealing with this issue, add the reassurance that the submitted support ticket has been received. Perhaps AN support will be adopting this soon? Let's see if the big announcements has even some pleasant surprises, like improved responsiveness with the support tickets.

Who should be punished? Victim? Why Ask the victim to spend time to prove ownership?

Ask the scammers who've listed the domains to verify that they're the rightful owner. And if they don't provide ownership proof, BLOCK THEIR ACCOUNTS.
Agreed. If the actual owner asks for the removal, why not place the burden of proof on the alleged fraudulent seller? At a minimum, the domains can be placed immediately in review, and then have the alleged owner provide the proof of ownership. If they don't after a certain number of days, the domains could be permanently removed, and the perpetrator warned or actually banned. The latter could be based on the number of times it had happened, or the number of listings that are involved.

Last edited:
•••
Contacted SAV support, and they have have removed 'Afternic Fast Transfer Approval' for all my domains (except one which has already expired, so no issues).

What I did:

1. Sent support via online help/support page.
2. After 24 hours sent DM to their Twitter account @usesav and posted the same 'DM' message by tagging them Twitter. I had to do this, just because, they didn't send me an acknowledgement for my support ticket, even after 24 hours. It's fine if they reply after 24 hours... in 1 or 2 days. For $8.88 that's reasonable. But, what bothers is 'No acknowledgement', and that's not acceptable even for a $1 service.

And they responded via Twitter and email that it's done! I verified in my SAV Account that it's done.
Thank you @Sav.com !

Last edited:
•••

Thanks for the update @LoveCatchyDomains, glad to hear you have it resolved. To set expectations - an announcement from me isn't imminent, but solutions are being actively worked on. I can't say an exact timeline, but it should be relatively soon.

•••
Did you really have to send screen shots for each of them?!

Yes. They're quite stuck in their ways and I'm not going to undo privacy.

They have no right collecting my data when I have no business with them.

I used to phone them in the past but being in the EU that started adding up.

I would simply add each and every domain to afternic as make offer but if the domain is already there you run into the same issue.

So spamming them with a lot of screenshots seems to be the only way.

Again, irrespective how big the portfolio size of the so called legacy users, when the platform itself becomes negligible, they'll vanish from the market. Any business that is not following ethical business practices will not survive in the market, will windup with loss !!!

Agreed. But ask around and a lot of people will think it's a nuisance to add a simple TXT record to thousands of domains. I don't get it but it is what it is.

•••
As an update, I received an email as a follow up to the removal of the fake listings. It indicated that now I could go ahead and list those domains with them.That was and is not the issue at this point.

Why would I want to list with a company that allows 786 fraudulent listings to be posted to their marketplace, and then makes it difficult for the actual owner to remove them? Where is the announcement that this problem is being immediately corrected?

All of my domains were removed from Dan after discovering they had this problem. Now, I'm seeing the same problem personally on Afternic. Now, I've removed all of the domains from my Afternic account.

I look forward to hearing about the actual implementation of corrective measures for these ongoing security and fraud issues. Hopefully improvements in their customer support tickets will be seen as well.

Sorry, Afternic. I expected more integrity from your company.

Last edited:
•••
I regularly end up seeing valuable domains at DAN and SEDO selling for a couple of hundreds or thousands. How can you list a domain that is NOT yours?

That sounds like endless money loophole.

•••
I regularly end up seeing valuable domains at DAN and SEDO selling for a couple of hundreds or thousands. How can you list a domain that is NOT yours?

That sounds like endless money loophole.
This does really make you wonder. And, if they are making such tremendous commissions, why not use some of that profit to establish a verification system and remove any fake listings without inconveniencing the actual owners?

•••
Call Afternic by phone and prove your ownership while on the phone. Add any txt record and they will see it instantly. Emailing and asking them to fix the issue is worse or impossible option. Calling takes few minutes,be proactive. It works.

•••
Call Afternic by phone and prove your ownership while on the phone. Add any txt record and they will see it instantly. Emailing and asking them to fix the issue is worse or impossible option. Calling takes few minutes,be proactive. It works.

Or... they could just make it mandatory to add a txt record to verify ownership. No review needed.

I hate it when people turn their problem into my problem, even more so when I have no business with them at all.

•••
Or... they could just make it mandatory to add a txt record to verify ownership. No review needed.

I hate it when people turn their problem into my problem, even more so when I have no business with them at all.
Be reassured that your situation has evoked sympathy, and folks are trying to be helpful.

Afternic is still not indicating that they actually have the correction for this ready to go now. Dan had stated in the past here that they were working on a solution, but this does not appear to have happened.

Why you had to do anything, other than simply report it the 786 fraudulent listings, remains a sad commentary on Afternic's quality assurance efforts and customer service.

How long ago did this happen? I'm curious as to why it was not considered a sentinel event for Afternic, to prompt immediate implementation of the verification system.

•••
Waiting and hoping that Afternic will identify and fix the problem won't work.

•••
Be reassured that your situation has evoked sympathy, and folks are trying to be helpful.

Afternic is still not indicating that they actually have the correction for this ready to go now. Dan had stated in the past here that they were working on a solution, but this does not appear to have happened.

Why you had to do anything, other than simply report it the 786 fraudulent listings, remains a sad commentary on Afternic's quality assurance efforts and customer service.

How long ago did this happen? I'm curious as to why it was not considered a sentinel event for Afternic, to prompt immediate implementation of the verification system.

It has been an ongoing issue. I just bugger them every now and then when I have time or feel up to it :)

I bet the problem always existed but the scale of fraudulent listings seems to be increasing over time.

I don't lose any sleep over it ( gotta watch that blood pressure 😉 ) but it's mindboggling how technically inadequate some venues are when considered to be tech companies.

That's why Dan was so refreshing. They've set the bar pretty high. No-one is following so far...

AN/GD could do with a complete rewrite. Sedo is bearable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back