Dynadot

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

NameSilo
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How much difference do you think it really makes if a name is part of the Afternic "Premium" network (with Fast Transfer on) vs the "regular" Afternic network (without fast transfer)?
I have thought about what it looks like from a buyer perspective as well.

If the domain is not in Fast Transfer, at GoDaddy it will say "Get it", and if you click that button, you will get to a page with "Buy Now" and "Make Offer" buttoms. So I am really not sure that there is a big difference when it comes to the buying experience.

I have to say that I am also a bit hesitant using Fast Transfer now and have just removed all my listings just to be safe.

•••
Do they even have a quality management section? I used to really like this company, and still believe they offer a useful platform. Maybe their fraudulent listings issue is getting out of control recently, with all the integrations and other changes?

It's not that, "their fraudulent listings issue is getting out of control recently".
It has always been there! This has nothing to do with 'integrations', but, INTEGRITY.

SquadHelp/SEDO/Daaz requires TXT record to verify ownership. Why not Afternic?

•••
•••
How much difference do you think it really makes if a name is part of the Afternic "Premium" network (with Fast Transfer on) vs the "regular" Afternic network (without fast transfer)?

Sure, it makes difference, as the Fast Transfer option gives you more exposure.

But, when the domain gets sold you don't know if that it was listed by YOU or by a SCAMMER!
What's the point in getting more exposure, if there is no guarantee you'll get the sales proceeds?!

Worst, if you had your names in SAV, by the time you contact their support (they insist 'not via email but online ticket' and for which they don't provide any acknowledgement proof! ), you might get your names sold out and transferred out!

•••
I have to say that I am also a bit hesitant using Fast Transfer now and have just removed all my listings just to be safe.
I had removed all my names from Afternic due to the Dan/GoDaddy thing, but ended up adding them all back to Afternic (long story)... so it's time again to agree/approve the names for the Fast Transfer network. I think I'll pass on the Fast Transfer thing this time around.

•••
so it's time again to agree/approve the names for the Fast Transfer network. I think I'll pass on the Fast Transfer thing this time around.
As you'll pass on the Fast Transfer thing, did you mean to say 'not to agree/approve' for the Fast Transfer network?

•••
I had removed all my names from Afternic due to the Dan/GoDaddy thing, but ended up adding them all back to Afternic (long story)... so it's time again to agree/approve the names for the Fast Transfer network. I think I'll pass on the Fast Transfer thing this time around.
I only removed the Fast Transfer, not the listings from Afternic. Now all of them have the status "Pending Review" :unsure:

•••
As you'll pass on the Fast Transfer thing, did you mean to say 'not to agree/approve' for the Fast Transfer network?
Yeah, I'll just ignore the requests.

•••
No, I had to contact SAV to cancel this requests, most interesting they did not implement such function for user to reject SEDO/Afternic MLS , which is weird.

@Sav.com has officially accepted:

"The ability to reject these is not currently possible but we are looking into adding in the functionality to the Domain Manager."

Ref:
https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/rejecting-afternic-fast-transfer-opt-in-requests

And, they've also asked to vote for this feature to be implemented.

"If this is a feature you would like to see available from the Domain Manager, please click the Vote button and we'll make sure to keep you updated."

So, please visit the above page and vote for it.

•••
Yeah, I'll just ignore the requests.
Make certain that, if the domains are not with the GoDaddy registrar, that they don't show up with the FT anyhow. For my GD ones, when I relisted them, they automatically got the FT even though I didn't request it at that point and really didn't want it.

One major issue with FT, to me, is the lack of a guarantee of prompt payment. If your domain is transferred immediately, payment likewise should be extremely prompt-- within a day or two like Dan used to do. The last time I had an FT sale, I was asked to lower the price by about 1/4, in exchange for prompt payment. That admittedly, in retrospect, was disappointing. I took it under the circumstances, but prefer not to have that type of negotiation.
I'll defer that question to those with much larger portfolios. Perhaps it's best to start a different thread specifically with that question?

•••
The last time I had an FT sale, I was asked to lower the price by about 1/4, in exchange for prompt payment.
Once it was an FT Sale, what's there to negotiate about the payment?

Were you asked to lower the price by about 1/4, BEFORE the SALE, or AFTER the SALE?

•••
Make certain that, if the domains are not with the GoDaddy registrar, that they don't show up with the FT anyhow. For my GD ones, when I relisted them, they automatically got the FT even though I didn't request it at that point and really didn't want it.

That's even scary that GD names don't require our Fast Transfer approval. It's absolutely scandalous. GD is a registrar. They should abide by the ICANN policies and behave just like any other registrar should do.

I've ONLY 2 names with GD (as they were pushed). Should transfer them out, soon.

So, the more we dig, the more unethical practices are being exposed.

•••
That's even scary that GD names don't require our Fast Transfer approval. It's absolutely scandalous. GD is a registrar. They should abide by the ICANN policies and behave just like any other registrar should do.

I've ONLY 2 names with GD (as they were pushed). Should transfer them out, soon.

So, the more we dig, the more unethical practices are being exposed.
This is a tricky technical point. If someone agreed in the past to have the Fast Transfer, one would think that after being removed and relisted, that the approval should be required again.

After all, this thread is about sellers with fraudulent listings. Let's say the ownership had changed, which was the cause for the removal. If the new owner relists could the Fast Transfer would automatically be activated presumably without even their approval? Would the fraudulent sellers then be in a better position to try to do some nefarious move to acquire the domain.

Incidentally, reviewing all four fraudulent listings, they all start at a minimum bid of $20, and are only make offer. So, at this point all of them would not be eligible for the FT at this point, which is at least a slight relief.

•••
Incidentally, reviewing all four fraudulent listings, they all start at a minimum bid of $20, and are only make offer. So, at this point all of them would not be eligible for the FT at this point, which is at least a slight relief.

I don't see that as a relief.

Afternic has 'floor' price as well. What if the scam seller has put in a floor price of $50?

With the floor price in place, Afternic broker has green signal to sell the name at the floor price $50, without your approval. That would still trigger fast transfer and move the domain out of your account - without your approval.

•••
I don't see that as a relief.

Afternic has 'floor' price as well. What if the scam seller has put in a floor price of $50?

With the floor price in place, Afternic broker has green signal to sell the name at the floor price $50, without your approval. That would still trigger fast transfer and move the domain out of your account - without your approval.
Oh, boy! And the floor price can be the minimum price.

Did you contact AN support. It looks like your listing at least your fraudster's listing was taken down.

Still no word from two supports ticket with AN. The fraudulent listing are still there in my case. al At a minimum, they could put such domains "in review' pending a final investigation. Sadly, their customer support line lost the he call the first time, couldn't for some reason hear me on the phone with the second call. Now it only goes to voice mail.

For all the others having this problem on this thread, let me know if an how you resolved the current listing problems.

Last edited:
•••
Once it was an FT Sale, what's there to negotiate about the payment?

Were you asked to lower the price by about 1/4, BEFORE the SALE, or AFTER the SALE?
The listing had been a "buy now," with the BIN price the same as the minimum and floor. I lowered the price about 25% before the sale, per an email request by someone from Afternic who said they were involved in negotiations. They said they could do it in exchange for a faster payment.

Admittedly, it never sat well with me that that was part of the negotiation. Knowing that their payments can take even 20+ days with FT, there was at least some reassurance that it was not going to take that long with this particular sale.

But, back to the fraudulent listing issue:

This is an interesting quote from Afternic's membership agreement (bold emphasis added)

The Company cannot and does not control whether or not third-party buyer(s) will complete a transaction. Additional risks arise out of dealings with foreign nationals, underage persons or people acting under false pretense or making deceitful representations, all of which are borne solely by the buyer or seller, as appropriate. The Company does not confirm that users who access its website are who they claim to be. The Company encourages You to exercise reasonable, safe business practices as You would in any other commercial activity. The Company will be permitted to take ownership or possession of the seller's domain name prior to it being transferred to the buyer.

Reassuring? Perhaps all the more reason Afternic needs to add verification NOW.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for raising the issue. I also found several domains listed ( I am sure in my case they were old listings by previous owners since I got most of the domains from auctions there were cases for hand regs as well ).
I called the Afternic phone and talked to their representative. The easiest way to solve this is to have them wait and add a text record. Any text works. They can see the record Was added immediately and that proves the ownership. The listings are then removed by the same representative right away.
In case we list through Dan, Ns3 nameserver needs to be added and the old listing gets deleted in a couple of days, or for immediate removal just call Afternic and prove ownership via Text.
Crooks are alive and well and will always find ways to play the system, especially if it is set up in a vulnerable way as Afternic is.
In my opinion while we are asking for change and waiting for them to solve this, we need to be proactive and check for listings as soon as we acquire the domain. It is annoying especially for somebody with thousands of domains.
As it was said before it makes sense to me to list the Domains on Afternic with Make offer even if the owner doesn't plan on selling the domain, as a hedge.
Again, until they solve this it is a good practice to be proactive and protect ourselves.
Hope this helps, all the best.
P.S. I don't even have an Afternic account.

Last edited:
•••
Crooks are alive and well and will always find ways to play the system, especially if it is set up in a vulnerable way as Afternic is.
In my opinion while we are asking for change and waiting for them to solve this, we need to be proactive and check for listings as soon as we acquire the domain. It is annoying especially for somebody with thousands of domains.
As it was said before it makes sense to me to list the Domains on Afternic with Make offer even if the owner doesn't plan on selling the domain, as a hedge.
Again, until they solve this it is a good practice to be proactive and protect ourselves.

Thanks for the input.
What if you ended up having to pay 25% commission of this domain sale ultimately, in addition to the cost of any commission with a non-GD transaction elsewhere, including a buyer directly contacting you?

Is this a possibility, based on the wording of the Afternic User Agreement? (bold emphasis added)?

For any sale of a domain name registration occurs between you and another member after being introduced through this site less than six months prior to the sale, you agree to pay a sales fee to Company, as posted on AFTERNIC.COM. Such introductions include any communication facilitated by the site's listings, offers and messages to members. The sales fee will be paid by the seller, and guaranteed by the buyer. The fee must be received by Company from seller within 30 days of the sale. If Company does not receive such payment within 30 days of the sale, the buyer member agrees to pay Company the brokerage fee within 30 days of receiving notice from Company that the seller did not pay the fee within the first 30 days.

So, for example, your buyer now purchases the domain through Sedo, but had checked out the domain at Afternic previously within the past six months. Are you willing to pay the additional 25% also to Afternic? The total commission could be upwards 10-20% (sedo) plus their 25%.

Perhaps, if you have an actual listing with them at "make offer," it eliminates the need to argue with them that it was a fake listing causing the confusion. There would likely be no actual win, though with that argument---because it might mean that your "make offer" listing, placed in part to prevent fraudulent sellers, now costs you an additional 25% of the sale?!

Perhaps others could weigh in on this paragraph, but it seems to suggest this: if the buyer had initial contact with them, that they do intend to get paid up to six months out--even if the sale ultimately occurs elsewhere, And this does create heightened concerns about having the fraudulent listings ultimately leading to potential commission disputes.

Last edited:
•••
I meant to list the domains not intended for sale as a prevention from scammers ( wouldn't accept any offers ), if I correctly understand your question.
With such commission it doesn't make much sense to list at both sedo and Afternic for 6.months, didn't know this. Or add 30% to the price and reduce it after 6 months I guess.🙂
And if one has a Dan account but not Afternic, is still considered a "member"? Quite confusing.

Last edited:
•••
I meant to list the domains not intended for sale as a prevention from scammers ( wouldn't accept any offers )
You may have hit the nail on the head for a potential solution.

Afternic does have a category of "hidden" for a listing Perhaps that could help prevent the fraudulent listings. It still seems unclear what this category actually means. It does not appear to have a "not for sale" option like Sedo. However, perhaps on AN the hidden feature, combined with an insanely high BIN, reserve, and minimum, could do the trick?

Might be worth asking customer service?

Last edited:
•••
This is an interesting quote from Afternic's membership agreement (bold emphasis added)

Reassuring? Perhaps all the more reason Afternic needs to add verification NOW.

Lol... The 'Afternic's membership agreement' you've emphasized is just to disown the liability that arises out of any verification of ownership or identity!

So, Afternic is NOT going to add verification NOW. Seems like NEVER, based on their stubborn policy over this matter over decades. There will be no change, unless their business hits rock bottom - just because of this issue :)

•••
•••
Lol... The 'Afternic's membership agreement' you've emphasized is just to disown the liability that arises out of any verification of ownership or identity!

Admittedly, this line is not reassuring, especially given the lack of any response from customer support. I have tried sending support tickets as well as calling. There appears to be only voicemail at this point at Afternic, which which appears to be a decline in their customer service, compared to my previous experiences with them.
No, my name is still listed in DAN.
https://dan.com/buy-domain/kisser.xyz
Yes, I realized that after my previous unduly optimistic post about your fake listing being removed. There still appears to be no action whatsoever for either of us.

Has anyone on this thread had any success getting the fake listings removed? Or at least had a response from customer service and a timeline?

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I realized that after my previous unduly optimistic post about your fake listing being removed. There still appears to be no action whatsoever for either of us.

In my case, I didn't contact Dan to remove it. When I put a name in auction, I agree to give ownership to the first bidder, no matter what the amount is. So, I didn't put it on sale in my other accounts.

Likely, I can still list it under 'make offer', in other platforms, at least to avoid fake listing, in future!

•••
Wouldn't having Dan remove the fake listing now potentially save the new owner from the headache of having to do this themselves?
The process, after receiving all the information, apparently can take about 48 hours for removal.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back