IT.COM

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And if one has a Dan account but not Afternic, is still considered a "member"? Quite confusing.

After the Dan and Afternic integration which allowed Dan listing to be sold via Afternic - things even got messier.

They permit selling of Dan listed names in Afternic, but, they don't have any verification to tie up MY DAN account with MY AFTERNIC Account. They have verification for 3rd party Dan + DNWE, Dan + Bodis (old parking), Dan + GoDaddy (new parking). But, NO Verification for Dan + Afternic ?!

And, Afternic price will override Dan price.
So, what's the guarantee that the MY Dan listed names is sold via My Afternic account? In case I've listed in Dan and NOT in Afternic, but another scammer has listed in Afternic, then the scammer's list price will override my price. So, we have no control our own asset in Dan/Afternic network integration, let alone the price! Hence, have disabled listing my Dan names in Afternic as well.

Last edited:
•••
Wouldn't having Dan remove the fake listing now potentially save the new owner from the headache of having to do this themselves?
The process, after receiving all the information, apparently can take about 48 hours for removal.

Dan doesn't remove listing unless we request it. I didn't ask them to remove.

And Dan is super fast 🚀 in removing the previous listing via email request ! It's just Afternic that takes much of your time/efforts.

With all such issues with Afternic, I see that Afternic will lose market share tremendously - in my opinion - TO SquadHelp. SquadHelp has Huge potential to replace Afternic. It's a matter of time!

•••
After the Dan and Afternic integration which allowed Dan listing to be sold via Afternic - things even got messier.

They permit selling of Dan listed names in Afternic, but, they don't have any verification to tie up MY DAN account with MY AFTERNIC Account. They have verification for 3rd party Dan + DNWE, Dan + Bodis (old parking), Dan + GoDaddy (new parking). But, NO Verification for Dan + Afternic ?!
I was concerned that more fraudulent listings would show up in in either of the marketplaces, as folks removed their listings from the one to simply be either all with Dan or Afternic. It's unclear if there were any protections put in place to prevent the fake listing to proliferate in the process.

At least, at this point, you haven't found the massive problem that our opening poster found, right?! That was a real doozy!

•••
I never used fast-transfer and I want nothing to do with it... automatically removing my assets without my confirmation is a security hazard.
As for the hassle of dealing with people that list them before we can, it's indeed a problem...

Last edited:
•••
I never used fast-transfer and I want nothing to do with it... automatically removing my assets without my confirmation is a security hazard.
As for the hassle of dealing with people that list them before we can, it's indeed a problem...
At this point, aren't concerns about the security hazard becoming more apparent?
At least Sav is doing their survey, to see if they will allow their members to opt out of FT. My suggestion would be why not avoid having FT as their default, and instead offer it as an opt-in?

We really don't know at this point how many listings on Afternic or Dan, that are from sellers that don't own the domains. And it remains unclear if there is any possibility the FT could be used for some malfeasance on their part.

•••
Let's say the domain owner had login their Afternic account while the domain also had a corresponded txt DNS record that could proof that Afternic user really owned that domain. I hope there should be some automate process to let the domain owner to remove the old domain listings in realtime without open a support ticket.

Last edited:
•••
At least Sav is doing their survey, to see if they will allow their members to opt out of FT.
Sav is simply playing a 'survey game'!

If there is 'approval' there should be a 'remove approval' as well.
It's not an auction/sales contract/agreement. It's sales process automation, which you can switch to manual.
The 'Remove Afternic Fast Transfer' feature already exists in NameCheap and Dynadot.

Sav doesn't need a survey. They're playing this survey game to cover their shortcomings.

//Edited

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot appears to have the best system for turning Afternic FT on or off. Are you certain you found a way at Namecheap to turn off the FT? I had to go through customer service and their tech support. It was not an easy process with them.

If the spurious listings are going to be permitted still by AN, the registrars would hopefully be proactive. Those accepting FT hopefully monitor for possible misconduct related to that system. And, as an added precaution, they may be wise to allow an easy AND reliable disconnect from the FT system.

Last edited:
•••
Piglets over at @Porkbun have ability to turn off afternic fast transfer.
I didnt actually try it, figure it works.
E236B0E1-0123-440A-B27C-1FA7ECBCBA8F.png

D30402FB-2C33-46DF-BC23-0E61806DF538.jpeg

•••
@Sav.com has officially accepted:

"The ability to reject these is not currently possible but we are looking into adding in the functionality to the Domain Manager."

Ref:
https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/rejecting-afternic-fast-transfer-opt-in-requests

And, they've also asked to vote for this feature to be implemented.

"If this is a feature you would like to see available from the Domain Manager, please click the Vote button and we'll make sure to keep you updated."

So, please visit the above page and vote for it.
Voted.

•••
Piglets over at @Porkbun have ability to turn off afternic fast transfer.
I didnt actually try it, figure it works.
It's reassuring that they at least provide the option.
Keep in mind that we don't know whether these fake listings are related to FT. It does make sense for the registrars to provide this as an easy opt-out, especially if security concerns have arisen.

•••
Are you certain you found a way at Namecheap to turn off the FT? I had to go through customer service and their tech support. It was not an easy process with them.

I just verified NameCheap and apparently there is no option to 'REMOVE AfterNic FastTransfer Approval'.
Sorry for the miscommunication. I just got confused it with 'Filter by Fast Transfer' option.

Last edited:
•••
I just verified NameCheap and apparently there is no option to 'REMOVE AfterNic FastTransfer Approval'.
Sorry for the miscommunication. I just got confused it with 'Filter by Fast Transfer' option.
Sure, it's easy to confuse the two.
There apparently is supposed to be a simple solution with Namecheap. They suggested delisting the domain from Afternic, and then resubmitting it. That is supposed to then trigger a second approval for Fast Transfer. Then, siimply don't approve the second time.

The problem was that that was not appearing to work for me. Maybe that has worked for other folks to solve the problem.

On a different note, it has now been over three days, and still no response from Afternic about the fake listings problem. This is very saddening, and increases my concern about whether they really even care about this recurrent issue.
Again, if anyone else on this thread has had success with getting those fake listings removed, please let me know.

Last edited:
•••
Hey everyone, I'm just catching up with the thread. I appreciate the diligence of investors that are auditing their accounts, but if anyone does spot any listings they are concerned about, email me on [email protected] and I'll work with you to get them fixed.

@70ym, I did DM you last week and the offer of help still stands.

On the wider verification topic, the feedback from the domain investment community has been powerful - that has translated into action - expect more from me relatively soon on this.

•••
@James Iles Is there any chance you can get the feedback survey after every support contact stopped? I have to contact support alot and the feedback requests are too much.

•••
@James Iles Is there any chance you can get the feedback survey after every support contact stopped? I have to contact support alot and the feedback requests are too much.
I'll forward that to the team to look into. Thanks!

•••
It's reassuring that they at least provide the option.
Keep in mind that we don't know whether these fake listings are related to FT. It does make sense for the registrars to provide this as an easy opt-out, especially if security concerns have arisen.

Option to remove 'Afternic Fast Transfer Approval' is more of a users' choice, and it should be in place irrespective of security concerns. And this feature should be implemented by every Registrar, which Dynadot has already done it.

Registrars provide option to approve 'Fast Transfer' - instantly.
But 'for removal of Fast Transfer' they expect us to contact their customer support!
Or, funny yet, run survey (!!!) to provide option to disapprove 'Fast Transfer'. Seriously?!

•••
Actually, the feedback survey may be very important to keep at this time.

I've dealt with Afternic support over the past year. They have usually been very responsive. Lately, it seems that the response times have increased, or there is no response whatsoever.

It's been now four days since submitting my request to have the fake listings removed. There was no acknowledgment of a support ticket being submitted. There has been no response to any of the requests (three were submitted, as more had to be added as I found more fake listings). The listings remain, for anyone to unwittingly make their offers with this fraudulent seller.

How does the Afternic quality management team (if there is any) monitor for problems in their customer service? The feedback survey would at least be a start. Granted, though, they have to stop delaying their response or outright ignoring their support tickets, as a starter.

Last edited:
•••

If there is 'approval' there should be a 'remove approval' as well.
It's not an auction/sales contract/agreement. It's sales process automation, which you can switch to manual.
The 'Remove Afternic Fast Transfer' feature already exists in NameCheap and Dynadot.

Sav doesn't need a survey. They're playing this survey game to cover their shortcomings.

//Edited
can you please tell me how you did it, how you remove the afternic fast transfer on namecheap.
thank you
after reading these thread i got a bit worried.

•••
so i ask support on namecheap, and i got this answer

Currently, the Fast Transfer feature cannot be disabled from Namecheap's side. To do that, you will need to remove domains from sale on Afternic.

not exactly what i was expecting, but they did answer

•••
can you please tell me how you did it, how you remove the afternic fast transfer on namecheap.
thank you
after reading these thread i got a bit worried.
Yes, thank heavens their customer support is working and remains reliable!

There is supposed to be a deactivation and reactivation system by doing the removals and relisting.

1) Remove the domains completely from Afternic, this is supposed to remove the fast transfer from the Namecheap listings.
2) If you add the names back to Afternic, a request is supposed to be generated by Afternic to have the Fast transfer approval
3) When you get the NC approval request email, and no longer want Fast Transfer, simply don't respond to it for approval.
4) Check your account periodically, to make certain that it still doesn't show up anyhow!

Presumably, it should not show up as Fast Transfer again in your registrar account. However, in my case it did--and it was spotted in the context of some of these fake listings.

You really do seem to need to monitor that the Fast Transfer doesn't show up anyhow, despite not approving it. If it does show up, contact Namecheap, and tech support will have to manually try to remove the FT connections. That took some time, and still some recurrent FT did show up despite their initial efforts. So, it may take NC tech support multiple tries to finally get it 'out of the system.'

Last edited:
•••
thank you @LoveCatchyDomains i have started with #1 and i am removing the names from afternic

and then add them back and ignore the fast transfer option..

•••
Hey everyone, I'm just catching up with the thread. I appreciate the diligence of investors that are auditing their accounts, but if anyone does spot any listings they are concerned about, email me on [email protected] and I'll work with you to get them fixed.

@70ym, I did DM you last week and the offer of help still stands.

On the wider verification topic, the feedback from the domain investment community has been powerful - that has translated into action - expect more from me relatively soon on this.
James,
I appreciate the offer, but I really feel that it is important to me to see that Afternic customer service indeed actually works. That's great, that you will help out Namepros members with these issues. To me, to feel comfortble using a business, it's very important to see that they are responsive to correcting problems--regardless of whether I am a member of an online forum.

As for the entire verification issue, for Fast Transfer, wasn't verifying ownership a mandatory part of someone being able to qualify to use Fast Transfer? I've assumed all along that that was part of the vetting process, for someone to be listed under this special category.

If the domain ownership verification was not a mandatory part of the FT approval process, then perhaps Afternic has to seriously consider having all the FT domains currently listed reviewed promptly. I'd be shocked if this was not part of the supposedly rigorous approval process for FT anyhow. If FT verification wasn't required previously, then now is the time to immediately correct this flagrant security vulnerability.

•••
You know why Afternic/GD does not solve domain listings verification?
Check this photo and you will know why.
The fake WOW effect.
Screenshot (56).png

•••
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.
what could someone win in deliberately listing another person's domain ?
the actual owner still have to agree on the transfer for the transaction to be made

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back