IT.COM

discuss There are more buyers than sellers for money making websites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AKS5

Established Member
Impact
I have noticed that there are more buyers than sellers for money making websites. These get sold instantly and even people are posting they want to buy money making websites but there are less sellers.

What if we(domainers) build small websites on our handregs(or domains that are not our best ones)?

Your thoughts and suggestions, please??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sites are not domains if you want to put efforts into that up to you most will build a profile or portfolio first. You might notice that they have to make money to sell often fudged. If you had a site making money would you want to flip it for a few months profit? The forum is mainly about selling domains simply because easier to focus on.

•••
Websites sell for 1.5 - 2 years of profit. Also, if a person has sold a website for 2 years of profit, he doesn't need to deal with upcoming Google updates/penalties etc. The new owner will deal with these and other issues and the seller will pocket cash and make and sell other websites.

•••
Websites sell for 1.5 - 2 years of profit. Also, if a person has sold a website for 2 years of profit, he doesn't need to deal with upcoming Google updates/penalties etc. The new owner will deal with these and other issues and the seller will pocket cash and make and sell other websites.
The problem I have is doing this and not making a profit on a premium name as better off selling domain alone if not prepared to make more efforts than just building. I have built some less favoured domains and find myself just renewing them as if they had no traffic you would drop them. I have experimented and if you don't plan on doing volumes and have time you can build sites but it just makes them functioning and a domain buyer will likely skip over it if a site is developed if they were a type in.

•••
Thank you for your valued thoughts @lock

This is why I mentioned in the first post handregs or not the best domains. No point in experimenting with premium domains.

In my experience, secret to ranking is not hardwork(building links etc.), it is smart work i.e. choosing low competition keywords. About 3 years back I got a website ranked with ZERO backlinks/SEO. It was getting up to 30k to 40k pageviews a month and did well for over a year and then it must have been penalized by Google as the traffic suddenly dropped. I could have easily sold it with 40K pageviews/mo. All I did was choose very low competition keywords.

However, after that I tried this recipe with a few other domains and didn't get success, maybe I wasn't choosing the right keywords. I want to try this again, and this is a great community and I have read posts of some very intelligent people here, so maybe I can get some suggestions on how to do it properly or not try this at all! Maybe we can develop a plan of action.

•••
I used to do this thing before my domain. It was like a full-time job. I sold many websites for $100 to as much as $1000.

Google algo used to be not smart enough. Algo update was taking place but in a months and a year. Nowadays Google keep it's algo updating every months and rolling out the change..

I still believe there is money in building your own website. It's should be just a blog or fully CPA website but should be built after doing research.

One of my website which I never touched from a year is still making me $7 to $10 per month. Fun fact it's on .pw

Screenshot_2019-12-12-19-55-51-745_com.google.android.apps.ads.publisher.png

•••
I had a network of 100 sites that got a half a million unique views in a 1 year period thanks to free Google traffic from just SEO.

This equated to around $36,000 in passive income.

If you know what you are doing it can be super fun and lucrative.

Last edited:
•••
I had a network of 100 sites that got a half a million unique views in a 1 year period thanks to free Google traffic from just SEO.

This equated to around $36,000 in passive income.

If you know what you are doing it can be super fun and lucrative.

How did you manage 100 sites? Please share tips.

•••
I was contemplating developing some domains, as well, AKS5. There are a few industries that will pay affiliates for leads and that's the approach I'm considering. But I'm not sure about the time&money investment that would be required for developing, maintaining, hosting, SSL, SEO, etc. Hopefully, a few more responses will come from those who are active along this line.

•••
How did you manage 100 sites? Please share tips.

1. Start with building a fast, responsive, SEO optimized site to use as a template.

2. Use any duplication plugins etc. to clone your template across your network.

3. Add content regularly... either by purchasing unique content, or by generating unique content from originals, or simply curating and aggregating content.

4. Focus on off-site SEO... backlinks mainly... avoid footprints, and go for varied organic-looking spread based on keyword competitors backlink profiles.

You can also hire an SEO company to do any of these steps for you.

Feel free to message me to discuss further :)

•••
I was contemplating developing some domains, as well, AKS5. There are a few industries that will pay affiliates for leads and that's the approach I'm considering. But I'm not sure about the time&money investment that would be required for developing, maintaining, hosting, SSL, SEO, etc. Hopefully, a few more responses will come from those who are active along this line.

For lead generation, you'll need a very different set up to the one I described previously.

The difference is that in the previous example you are trying for as much traffic as possible on a broad topic... going for global ranking and traffic and a conversion is considered a click through to an advert or a sale of a product or affiliate product.

For lead generation you're going for local traffic, so you'll need to focus heavily on local SEO which is very different. You'll want to create specific local ranking pages on-site as well as the usual on-site SEO... additionally you'll want to be getting the right citations, business listing, etc. and notify the aggregators as well... plus you'll focus on backlinks as well.

Depending on your budget and ambition will determine what the SEO company would charge you.

I'd recommend a 3k website and 2k per month for SEO... that's if you're super serious and want to get seriously big results. You can go smaller... but the results will take a lot longer.

Feel free to message me if you have more questions :)

•••
For lead generation, you'll need a very different set up to the one I described previously.

The difference is that in the previous example you are trying for as much traffic as possible on a broad topic... going for global ranking and traffic and a conversion is considered a click through to an advert or a sale of a product or affiliate product.

For lead generation you're going for local traffic, so you'll need to focus heavily on local SEO which is very different. You'll want to create specific local ranking pages on-site as well as the usual on-site SEO... additionally you'll want to be getting the right citations, business listing, etc. and notify the aggregators as well... plus you'll focus on backlinks as well.

Depending on your budget and ambition will determine what the SEO company would charge you.

I'd recommend a 3k website and 2k per month for SEO... that's if you're super serious and want to get seriously big results. You can go smaller... but the results will take a lot longer.

Feel free to message me if you have more questions :)

Thanks YBT! Well, I have a lot to learn. I want to understand SEO since its fundamental to my ambitions in domain investing and site traffic income generation. Can you recommend some good learning resources for a beginner without a cyber background or formal education in computer tech?

•••
You're asking the right person...

I'm head of SEO for PhobbMedia.com :)

It's a super rewarding field, but not one that you can learn overnight or with low effort.

If your looking to get results asap, I'd suggest just hiring professionals.

When you take into account the value of your time and the knock on effect of lost earnings while you get up to speed... It's actually cheaper to hire professionals than doing it yourself.

That said, if you have a passion for it, and are willing to devote hundreds of hours learning it.. it can be one of the most valuable skills you can learn.

Other high value skills include copyrighting, public speaking, sales/closing, social media, content creation, and networking. Learning leadership, outsourcing, automation, systems, process optimization, and project management won't hurt either.

As for a starting point... I maintain a list of the top SEO related blogs so that I can stay current and also invest thousands every year on my education. I'm sure you can start off on the cheap though.

Check out Udemy.com for some super cheap SEO courses. They run regular $10 and $20 specials, and there might even be some free courses.

Also a good start:
https://neilpatel.com/what-is-seo

https://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors

https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

https://blog.feedspot.com/seo_blogs

•••
You're asking the right person...

I'm head of SEO for PhobbMedia.com :)

It's a super rewarding field, but not one that you can learn overnight or with low effort.

If your looking to get results asap, I'd suggest just hiring professionals.

When you take into account the value of your time and the knock on effect of lost earnings while you get up to speed... It's actually cheaper to hire professionals than doing it yourself.

That said, if you have a passion for it, and are willing to devote hundreds of hours learning it.. it can be one of the most valuable skills you can learn.

Other high value skills include copyrighting, public speaking, sales/closing, social media, content creation, and networking. Learning leadership, outsourcing, automation, systems, process optimization, and project management won't hurt either.

As for a starting point... I maintain a list of the top SEO related blogs so that I can stay current and also invest thousands every year on my education. I'm sure you can start off on the cheap though.

Check out Udemy.com for some super cheap SEO courses. They run regular $10 and $20 specials, and there might even be some free courses.

Also a good start:
https://neilpatel.com/what-is-seo

https://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors

https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

https://blog.feedspot.com/seo_blogs

Hey, I hit the jackpot for once! This is some great info for me to get started with. I surmise that I will never be a pro at SEO, but if I can gain an everyday working knowledge I'd be happy. I want to know enough to speak intelligently to potential buyers and not mislead anyone. Knowing even more to get some lead generation websites going would be even better. I may have to seek out some SEO pros in the beginning it sounds like. I'm following you and would like to touch base occasionally. Thanks for your exceptional advice YBT!

•••
Back