IT.COM

The value of an Aged Brandable

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainBarracksRob

Top Member
Impact
So I have a question.

I understand, the older a (good) domain name is the more value it can be given and is usually given.

I have found a name, it has an "extra" last letter, it's a one word name. It's current reg date is 2010 (7yrs).

The question, is there more value in paying the Catch fee to keep that Domains age, or could waiting and regging it on the drop decrease the value?? Specifically speaking on BrandBuckets approach. Would it make a difference in a + or - $1k price tag?

2 Repeating Last L 1 words seem to do well! So I think that with the 7 years on the name give it more of a increased in value...or am I wrong? Would you Reg it or pay the $50-79 for the catch?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Age rarely if ever matters for brandables. Brandables never worth more on sites like BB due to age.

I wouldn't use one acquisition technique over another just to retain age. I'd use whichever method fits best with my desire to acquire the domain.

If by "catch fee" you're talking about drop-catching, then the age will always reset as you're catching a recently made-available deleted domain. The only way to retain the age is to never let it delete, which means buying it from a auction before it expires.

•••
Domain age as a factor in value is BS.

There are many old domains, registered in the 90's, that are sh*t.

Yes, there are many older domains that are valuable, but not because of their age.

One reason it seems as though older domains have more value is because most of the best domains were registered a while ago, so they are naturally "old".

There are many things that make a domain valuable and age is low on the list.

Don't buy a domain just because it is old.

When it comes to brandables, age does not even matter.

Most so called "brandables", especially the made up words, were only regged the the last 5 years or so when the whole brandable trend started - mostly because of BrandBucket.

Last edited:
•••
Thank You , you both explained that very well. I understand age basically doesnt mean ---- , just wasn't sure how or IF it affected the value of a "GOOD" domain name. Now I do , and thank you! btw yes some cuaght the name I was looking at :/ oh well on to the next

The word was DOUBLEDD btw

•••
Indeed very good explanation, I did want to add that when a domain has age even if it is a brandable is actually a positive factor in the eyes of other domainers. So when it comes to selling a domain within the wholesaler market the older the domain the more interested someone might be. But as mentioned it is not a make or break factor just a plus.

When it comes to brandables it is more important for the domain to be catchy, easy to say and memorable.

- Will

•••
It depends on it's popularity and the value.

•••
Thank You , you both explained that very well. I understand age basically doesnt mean ---- , just wasn't sure how or IF it affected the value of a "GOOD" domain name. Now I do , and thank you! btw yes some cuaght the name I was looking at :/ oh well on to the next

The word was DOUBLEDD btw
with a word like that, the price should be good if not double the value :xf.wink:

•••
Back