IT.COM

domains The story of acquiring SuperTokens.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The story of acquiring .com and migrating from supertokens.io

When we went to buy the supertokens.com domain, we were greeted by a $5,000 price tag from the domain squatter. This sucked. We hadn’t raised any money and didn’t want to spend $5,000 on something that may not work out (we’d made that mistake).

So, we went and bought supertokens.io from a domain registrar for the low price of $60 for 2 years and from then on, the name SuperTokens was final.

To test the waters, we sent in a $1,000 offer to the domain squatter for the .com. It was 80% less than the asking price, but we hoped for the best (and also negotiation 101).

We got a response back that night with a counteroffer of $3,500 – which was great! Reasonable, and a feel-good discount. Unfortunately, that was still too hefty for us. At that time, we let the bid lapse and went back to building our product.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know why do you refer to this domainer as a domain squatter :(

•••
They always call us squatters and are always cheap even when they have the funds. They got a good deal.

•••
I don't know why do you refer to this domainer as a domain squatter :(

How can I cite an "(external) article" + not being accused of something I didn't do?

Seriously ... people are using NPs as their cry pillow and making an accusation without DD.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
•••
How can I cite an "(external) article" + not being accused of something I didn't do?

Seriously ... people are using NPs as their cry pillow and making an accusation without DD.

Regards
Sorry but I didn't know that is an external article :(

•••
Thank you for sharing, but you should make it a little clearer next time that this is an article. I thought this was your story as many here did. Consider format like bolding the title, and hyperlink it with source at the top.

Last edited:
•••
SuperTokens/com for $8k was a sweet deal, even in 2021. They should’ve thanked the seller.

•••
Domain squatter? Really? .com is registered 4 years earlier than .io!

•••
Last edited:
•••

Regards
The whole world seems to have taken this approach since the pandemic

•••
People were defaulting to the .com of our name when searching for us.

This! ☝🏽

Last edited:
•••
They got lucky on that one. Probably all the better that they consulted a professional, unlike the other guy. But still decided to take their chances at lowering the price, against the pro's advice. I wonder if they have any luck left.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back