IT.COM

warning The scam attempt I'm currently experiencing on Flippa

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Coconut Label

Established Member
Impact
Hello, I'm a web developer trying to progress in life, This is the scam attempt I am experiencing since 2 days.

First I want to say thank you to @FlippaDomains support because I have to say they are really helping me on this, and that I recommend flippa to buy and sell websites always that you use Flippa Escrow.

Also I have been reading many complaints about Flippa with the scams etc..

I have bought different sites on flippa before, and all them have always gone very well and finished in positive deals. But as in all internet sites there are scammers and people who think they are more smart than the rest of the world, you simply have to avoid them, since they are not difficult to differentiate from the rest of the vendors, I have fallen into one of them just because I liked a lot the website and the trick he used has been something surprised for me.

I am sorry for such long history, But I guarantee it's worth reading it, as I think it can help avoid scams as it's a pretty new style of scam quite smart.

HERE IT GOES :

Introduction:

Almost 15 days ago I saw a web site on flippa that ended without bidders and that was there for a month on flippa waiting for offers.

The website seemed interesting because it is similar to a project I wanted to do soon, and I thought it would help me to make my project thanks to that website current web traffic and its position on google.

I sent an offer to the seller, but never answered, until 6 days ago that after a private message sent to him the day before, he seemed to return online to flippa after 1 month of inactivity.

He told me that he would not accept less than 2000 dollars, after several messages we got a deal for 1800 USD, 800 more than what he signaled as a minimum offer on flippa.

4 days ago the seller relisted the site on flippa and put a ‘’Buy it now’’ price for 1800 and I proceeded to buy it.

The Flippa Escrow Begins :

Yesterday 29th, I proceeded to pay it, the seller was online and we started almost instantaneously transferring the site to my hands, I was happy that I had managed to buy the site that I was almost 1 month looking thinking that the seller would not return to flippa, You can imagine.

The process started already strange, He sent the password of the domain registrar, without email, and the password of the Administration Panel of the site.

The registrar is domains.ucoz.com, and the website is also hosted in ucoz using the ucoz website builder, all using the same account evidently.

For me this already seemed bad, because I thought that the web page was of its own code since he indicated such thing, but hey, nothing happened, I would manage (I told to myself)

I asked him to please also tell me the email so I could log in on the register and see the domain.

He gave it to me, and I have to say that ucoz should update that page immediately, I do not think it would be even safe.

Ucoz.com is better, but domains.ucoz.com is a complete mess and almost half of the functions do not work.

I asked if it was possible to transfer the domain outside of ucoz, he said it would be a lot of work and he did not recommend it and he started to send me messages one after other, saying good things that the website has thanks to the ucoz platform, like unlimited disk space (which is Lie, since it has only a normal plan of 7 dollars a month which puts the limitation that has in megas quite clear) He also said that the site had antivirus and seo platform and more things thanks to the ucoz platform...

So I Tried to create an account in ucoz own to move the domain to my own account, but was canceled by him, I don’t know why, although I imagine. (By the way: I did not realize at that time that the transfer had been canceled by him, I thought it was a site error)

He asked if I also wanted to buy another domain that he has, I was so busy with such a web page and its platform, that I said no for the moment.

After my attempt to move the domain had failed, I asked him if I could change the domain to another register

he answered, '' no no, as soon as you want to use it, I will also give you the email address ''

And he sent an email address, which was not the one that was actually registered with the domain previously and that I had proceeded to delete to add mine.

I wasn’t noticing of all that was happening because, in the end, I was seeing I had deleted his email account, changed the password and everything that could be done, so why not use the original account of him, if all the details have been changed to mine? I wouldn’t expect anything weird...

While I was still thinking about if everything was already done, the user didn’t stop at any moment of send me messages, telling me that or this… in one of them he asked why I had deleted the mail address of the registry and that he told me also ‘’ I think you have seen enough ‘’

I replied that the sales area is not for trying to look at anything, It is to transfer the website to the new owner to proceed to release the escrow.

Here I was noticing strange things and I told him that I was going to transfer the domain to namecheap since I did not like ucoz at all, he replied asking me how much time It would take, because he was in a hurry, etc.

I told him not to rush me that I was a user of 3 years and with 100% positive feedback, to please do not worry.

Ten minutes later after realizing that I could not do anything else, but that it would not be supposedly possible to him to do anything strange against me, I released the the escrow, and he said thank you in his language, since he is from Romania.

I Release Escrow :

I said thank you too, and began to think about what I would do with my life now, whether to watch TV or to continue working

But 10 minutes later I receive a mail saying someone has comment on a article of the site, I just thought it was some normal user, but I clicked to read it and I saw that it was this person, the vendor has used his administrator account that was no longer an administrator but a normal user, to comment on an article of the site to say only '' :) ''

I was like ‘’wtf?’’ , because I did not understand why he was doing such thing, why had to logged in to the site using his account that used to be an administrator after release escrow and finish everything, which kind of intention he could have.

(If someone is not understanding all this of the accounts, it is a little weird, it is like a wordpress, you may have the domain on wordpress.com but later you have another type of user accounts to handle the administration panel and post new articles on the site and for normal users to be able to comment on the site.)

I got a message from him saying that I did not do something right since he still has access to the site.

I replied him that I have seen his comment on the site (hoping he would tell me that why he had do so) and that he would tell me what things he had access to, since I knew he could comment on the site, but hey, I did not know what else he could be referring to exactly.

I was worried about is that the seller had not already gone to another chapter of his life and forgetting about the site, why he was still there checking the site and saying this or that, what he cares?

His answered by only saying '' yes '' referring to the ‘’I have seen your comment’’, but he did not answer my other questions.

I moved his user to the blocked list, and I told him to try again, and he responds pasting a warning that he got from the website that tells him that he no longer has privileges to do that, and tells me that I have broken the website by putting Two smiling faces at the end.

I say no, I explained him that I just moved his user to the blocked list.

(I was still without understanding what the guy was doing with his life there instead of celebrating that he had sold a website with a junk code for 1.8 k.)

He replied ‘’ ok’’

This is where the situation gets worse:

5 minutes after all these, I receive a message in my mail saying that my email has been deleted from the domain registrar domains.ucoz.com and that they have added another and I see that it is the old mail he had before, which I imagine is his personal mail.

I go to the window tab where I have opened the session on domains.ucoz.com (which luckily I had not closed yet, If you don’t understand yet why I say ‘’luck’’, later you will understand it for sure.)

And I add my email again and delete the one from him once again

I send him a message saying, ‘’please do not change the email of the domain register’’

I go to try to change the password, but it tell me that my old password is not the current one, so I can’t change it...

I send a message, saying that please do not do what he is doing, that the payment has not yet been really processed and that it is very possible that I even can cancel it with the bank or with the support of flippa.

He responds by saying, '' Do you think I want to do that? ''

And then sends me another message saying,

'' I just told you something wrong ''

and another message more saying

'' Something you did not do well I do not know what it is I have access ‘’

I was thinking if this man thinks people are fool or maybe he wasn’t in his best mental state.

I was really nervous at the time because I could not understand, how was possible that the seller could have deleted my email, Put his mail back and change the password, if he did not know which was the password that I had put.

He Sends me another message telling me the password, but the password is wrong.
At the same time I was writing another message telling him to please log out of domains.ucoz.com and to give me the current password.

He responds saying the same wrong password again and sent me in another message more

"I do not think he'll fix anything with the bank. Because you released funds in plippa.com. Try to take more care in the future’’

and once again he Send me another message saying

'' worked ?? Did you succeed to restore? ''

I answer him, asking him again what is the password once again as the one he told me wasn’t working.

And responds by saying the password this time correctly.

So, I Change the password, and I stay thinking, thoughtful, not knowing what to do.

I get a message from him asking me

''Did you succeed or not? ''

I answer him by asking him:

'' Yes, but I do not understand why you have to change the password and the email ''

His response leaves me quite baffled, I did not know if this man was trying to scam me or what he was doing:

'' Because I have seen that it may be, in the future, be careful in what you do. Look what flippa.com says

"How can I get a refund?

Once the funds are in the Flippa Escrow vault, you would need to file in the listing's Sale Completion Area. Upon resolution of the dispute, Flippa will advise on how the funds in the vault will be disbursed and can potentially return funds to the Buyer.

Please note: When you release funds to the Seller, you acknowledge that you have received the assets as described in the Flippa listing and are happy with them. If the funds have already been released ‘’

I did not know what to answer, I did not understand what this man was supposedly doing, but in any case, he was not being a good person.

I answered him saying that although flippa says that, that does not give him the right to steal any domain that he had sold receiving the money that he had requested, and that there was no need to do that in any case.

He replied that he did not want to do anything bad and that I should have a good day and that I should be careful.

I did not answer him anymore, because for me, the sale was broken already, even I released the escrow, I knew by a friend I Have who is a seller on flippa, that he would’t receive the payment in some days because flippa doesn’t pay instantly and that of course this vendor is a new user without feedback and that he should pass some verifications before get the money.

So at this point I had already done several things, had opened a ticket in flippa, and answered another ticket I had for other reasons to take advance to see if I receive faster support from flippa, in addition to opening another on ucoz asking to please move my domain to another account since I had been hacked.

So my intentions was that flippa held the escrow until the domain register replies my ticket and move the domain to my new account where this person wouldn’t be able to do again a bad thing.

I did not understand how it was possible that this man was able to delete my email and pasword etc.. as I said before.

4-5 hours after, I realized that ucoz has no expiration limit in the session, so, no matter if you take 1 day without doing anything on the site, you will never be disconnected, I realized that what he had done, it was simple, keep his session Active, delete my mail, add his mail, request a new password, and boom, took money and domain.

I received a reply from the ticket on flippa asking me to explain what he did to me, and I answered explaining the process the best I could.

After a while they banned the user and informed me that they would try to stop the escrow, since only they had spent few hours and like The user is also new, has no previous transactions and his identity has to be verified yet

(Thank you @FlippaDomains , that showed me you are honest)

One of the administrators, told the user to make sure I had the domain, the seller got online again shortly after been banned and the user replied that he was sure that I have the domain.

I decided not to answer since I had already answered the ticket of the moderator and I was waiting for a reply.

The seller returned to reply in less than 1 hour saying

'' I think the complaint should be closed. Otherwise I will make a complaint at ucoz.com, they have copies of my registration documents, such as the website was mine, and many more that I have with them, I will announce that my website was stolen in the flippa.com ''

And another message more saying

'' Not to mention the ips that appear on the login page ''

What he said of the IPs trying scam flippa, gave me an idea, if it is true that the site has a public record of actions with ips , like facebook style, I would been able to prove that everything I am saying he did, he really did it and that he also did it after release the escrow.

And There it was, I found the option and I could see all his actions perfectly, he had added his email, deleted the mine, disconnected his session to be able to use the lost password option and restore the password (What he didn’t know is that I was also logged in and had not disconnected at any time)

I noticed that after recovering the password, he also disabled the auto renew of the domain, and after that he also changed the password once again, that was the password that he gave to me again and which was the same that he gave me to Beginning of the transaction but with a new symbol.

Which makes me understand that he intended to steal the account, but seeing that I realized right away and that besides that I had not disconnected of ucoz.com as well since I deleted his email back, he decided to change the password again for basic one, since the one he put was probably a password Which he uses on other sites.

I also saw on the record of actions that it was him, who canceled the transfer of the domain to another new account, which has produced an error and now does not give me the option to try again.

Another flippa manager comments on the sales area asking me whether the seller solved the problem or not.

I answered, explaining that no, that everything is a trick, and explaining everything that has happened step by step, not as detailed as here, but rather well explained, providing screenshots of the record of ips and their actions and explaining each one separately.

The seller responds fast by saying

'I have shown you this problem, and I have announced to you that I still have access to the site. You asked me to check If I'm no longer logged in’’

And another message saying

'' You are the admin now, finish with the nonsense. You are ashamed, those are logged last night ''

I respond by telling him, to please read my previous message, (although I wrote that to prevent the administrator from not seeing it), since in the previous message is where I provided evidence etc, and it is where it is clear that the seller is a scammer, so well, In the message I tell him that he has not disconnected from the site and that he is still online (since there is no record that says the user has disconnected, and I have already tried several ways, and in all of them I always leave the record of having disconnected )
And I also told him that the logs are from the same night since the transaction is only a few hours ago.

I actually realized that he was just trying to confuse the flippa support, which I hope he doesn’t get it , I told him also to please take his website again and cancel the transaction, since the domain is locked on his account and there is no possibility to move it.

He Answered me

'' I'm not logged in anymore, the escrow is over. You broke my website, or worse, you wanted to see how it works. You're a thief. ''

And sends another message more as he used to, saying

'' Now that you've copied the entire website, or you've installed a hidden script, you want to give it back to me, in no case. Flippa.com can not do this because you have agreed to release the funds. You checked the website for hours, you had all the admin passwords you needed. Now you're doing the fool after you've destroyed my website, and you still want money back. NO NO ''

I want to make it clear that I have not touched the website of this man at any time, since even though I wanted to do great things with it, I have not touched anything, since I have not had the opportunity evidently because of everything that is going on And the website has the same look and feel as 3 months ago, verifiable with archive.com

I answer him already desperate, since nothing he said makes sense to me.

'' Oh my god, let's wait flippa support ''

And for now that’s the thing on the sales area, there have been no more messages.

Current Situation :

I have received a message on the ticket saying that they are happy to inform me that the escrow is being held and safe, and that I should please resolve the case, specifically they have told me:

'' You will now need to resolve any issues with the seller and either resolve the dispute or cancel it by returning the goods in the condition you were provided and lodging a dispute. '

I answered to him, explaining that it is not possible to complete the sale since the domain is locked in the personal account of the seller which he still logged in it, and as I see the situation, it will not go away either, And that I want to cancel the transaction and forget about this

So I asked the moderator on the the ticket to advise me how I can now give the seller my access, without he later being able to say that the access does not work, if it is possible for a flippa administrator to check the access and then give it to the seller, so we finish with this weird thing.

And so far, that’s everything at the moment.

I am waiting to see how can I give out the login detail to the vendor without he complains saying any lie..

Thank you very much for reading me.

I post this to hear your recommendations or experiences and also to give you my experience so maybe in future you have a similar problem , you be able to resolve it easier .

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi. Welcome to NP's.

I think you will need to drastically shorten your post.
Most people won't have the energy or patience to read all of that. IMO.

Good Luck :)

No No, I was drinking my coffee, slowly reading and enjoying the information.
I feel for the OP and sense his frustration. He took the time to write out to post to make sure we are all adequately warned. I very much appreciate the long post. (y)

PS. I guess after the coffee I have energy to burn

Last edited:
•••
Did the seller stated the fact in the auction listing that the domain transfer will not be possible until 28th of July? Or is this due to the 60 day lock because the owner info was changeg after buying the domain?
You stated that the whois info didn't change - so the transfer should be possible!?
What's the domain name?

Hello,

I tried to do the transfer to namecheap, but they were asking me a confirmation code from an email of a whois privacy service, I disabled whois, and I saw the email was his own mail, so I change it for mine.
Then when I tried to start the transfer the website lock it until 28 July.

I have change the whois on the domain register, but the website has a warning message telling to users that even they change the whois there, for the information to be updated for real, they need to open a ticket so their support process it for them.

So they haven't reply and anything, so the whois info haven't change.

About the domain name, I don't feel very comfortable now by saying it, because like ucoz.com seems a weird site, I am afraid I attracts people trying to get the domain as well.

Once the domain problem is solved, I will be happy to say the domain name, hope you understand me.

•••
HeHe.... I have energy to burn

No No, I was drinking my coffee, slowly reading and enjoying the information.
I feel for the OP and sense his frustration. He took the time to write out to post to make sure we are all adequately warned. I very much appreciate the long post. (y)

Thank you very much, I just needed to tell my experience to someone, so this helped me out.

•••
Guys, I am thinking now in a possible solution.

The problem is that uCoz doesn't reply, because if they would reply and put the domain on a safe account, I wouldn't have problem.

So I thought ucoz is an independent register of domains, but I just noticed that the domains register of ucoz seems to be http://www.domaincontext.com/

What about contact http://www.domaincontext.com/, and tell them the situation, maybe they move the domain to another register? or help me out

What do you think

•••
•••
They have a 302 area code phone number

I signed up on the site, but the design is the same than domain.ucoz.com so I am not sure they are the same support.

About the number, is nice, I will try it out If I don't get a response .
Right now I guess is not working time for them (timezone: UTC+4) Working hours: 10am-7pm

•••
Hello,

I tried to do the transfer to namecheap, but they were asking me a confirmation code from an email of a whois privacy service, I disabled whois, and I saw the email was his own mail, so I change it for mine.
Then when I tried to start the transfer the website lock it until 28 July.

I have change the whois on the domain register, but the website has a warning message telling to users that even they change the whois there, for the information to be updated for real, they need to open a ticket so their support process it for them.

So they haven't reply and anything, so the whois info haven't change.

About the domain name, I don't feel very comfortable now by saying it, because like ucoz.com seems a weird site, I am afraid I attracts people trying to get the domain as well.

Once the domain problem is solved, I will be happy to say the domain name, hope you understand me.
You probably mean with confirmation code the transfer authentication code. This code was obviously sent to the email of the previous owner and he should have provided this code to you. You probably deactivated the whois privacy service and with that you activated the 60 day transfer lock.

In my opinion everything is possible to resolve if both parties trust each other.

It seems to me that both of you lost the trust in each other. I would recommend to get in contact maybe via skype to get the personal contact and if possible solve the open questions in a live dialog. You will be able to recognize very fast if the seller is honest or not. Who knows maybe at the end you will get friends!?:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
The post might be long but I read it all, it is clear there is intention from the seller specially when He quoted the escrow terms. I hope you get this sorted soon.

•••
The post might be long but I read it all, it is clear there is intention from the seller specially when He quoted the escrow terms. I hope you get this sorted soon.

Thank you for read me, I appreciate it

I want to say that finally the idea I Got of contact directly with the parent company worked, and now the domains is safe on a new account

as soon as I resend it the whois approval change to him, he also accept it this time, and posted it on flippa sales area saying ''I hope we can finish with this circus now''

I Learned he also declined the whois change the first time I sent it.

So we can say he tried to get the money and later take the domain back, but at the end, the good side won.

•••
You probably mean with confirmation code the transfer authentication code. This code was obviously sent to the email of the previous owner and he should have provided this code to you. You probably deactivated the whois privacy service and with that you activated the 60 day transfer lock.

In my opinion everything is possible to resolve if both parties trust each other.

It seems to me that both of you lost the trust in each other. I would recommend to get in contact maybe via skype to get the personal contact and if possible solve the open questions in a live dialog. You will be able to recognize very fast if the seller is honest or not. Who knows maybe at the end you will get friends!?:xf.smile:

He is not a professional scammer, but is that kind of people who scam when they have the chance, so I don't need friends like that, also he didn't stop disrespecting during all the process.

And of course I can confirm he tried to scam me, but he didn't know flippa escrow don't pay that fast as he thought.

I remember when he removed my email and everything and he stared to tell me ''the next time you will be more careful, now flippa escrow is over and you can't do anything''

He planned during the process of the transfer the idea of scam me, he declined the whois change without let me know, he kept logged on the domain register and cancel the transfer process and tried to take back the admin panel as well.

Now is over, I have the domain safe and the hosting is safe as well.

Last edited:
•••
It seems that you solved it! (y)

•••
Did you secure the website too?

•••
Seems like a tough situation to deal with bro. Next time make sure you look carefully at the terms provided by the seller. This way you can avoid risky transactions. Glad you sorted it out, most people aren't as lucky.

•••
Flippa is kind of terrible

•••
Yes ucoz offers domains and also services like weebly and wix etc, under ucoz.com is like weebly, under domain.ucoz.com is domains, and under domains.ucoz.com is domains but like a different version, it is a mess.
I'm 90% sure that it is against Flippa's Policy for a seller to sell a website that's built on a platform similar to (for example) Weebly, simply because the seller doesn't really own the website he's selling you.

If Weebly (for example) decides to suspend the owner's account for whatever reason, then everything is lost. The script belongs to the service provider and no-one else, period. This reason alone should have Flippa refund you without penalty.

@FlippaDomains, kindly advise?

•••
•••
Flippa is kind of terrible

The support is helpful, but they really need more support workers, because their answers to your tickets always take like 10 hours or more to come, so a market that claims to be the entrepreneur market should be able to reply to the tickets fast as the transactions done there are sometimes of an important amounts.

The rest is ok for me, well, their listing fees are also little high I guess.

•••
Seems like a tough situation to deal with bro. Next time make sure you look carefully at the terms provided by the seller. This way you can avoid risky transactions. Glad you sorted it out, most people aren't as lucky.

The problem here hasn't been because unread terms , just because avarice from the seller part, someone who wants the money and keep the website as well, you can imagine.

•••
I'm 90% sure that it is against Flippa's Policy for a seller to sell a website that's built on a platform similar to (for example) Weebly, simply because the seller doesn't really own the website he's selling you.

If Weebly (for example) decides to suspend the owner's account for whatever reason, then everything is lost. The script belongs to the service provider and no-one else, period. This reason alone should have Flippa refund you without penalty.

@FlippaDomains, kindly advise?

Well, no sure, the domain is from the same company but is like different systems on the website, like the domain is on domain.ucoz.com, and the website builder is on ucoz.com, so in case they ban the website builder , the domain wouldn't be affected. so no sure

•••
•••
Great to learn that everything is solved. Its all because of the hard shell a coconut has to save its soft pulp :)

•••
I thought the post gonna end someday...but it didn't, I tried to scroll through some paras, but it didn't... :)

•••
@Coconut Label Aah man..! O_o . Are you working with newspaper or you are a Freelance Writer. Well, nice explanation on whole dramatic event held with you. The Seller was smart but you are smarter. So what's the current situation. Where are you at this point.

•••
You did well to get out the situation when you could. I honestly, will probably stay away from Flippa now. There's too many scammers on there, using various techniques to defraud people. Worse yet, once money has been handed over, you can't do anything! But anyway, good job on avoiding being scammed, and thanks for sharing.

•••
I re-read this entire thing just now. I recently started asking specific pre-sale questions of one of the more successful sellers on their of websites,who was highly rated, over $100K in sales, etc. I was interested as a buyer. He answered defensively and completely ignorant and starts with verbal insults after I pointed out some major software flaws in the operation of the site. I asked how they would be fixed, and instead of accepting these- he told me I was incapable of evaluating his website... lol. Totlally shocked, and ended it there.

An experienced seller of sites with backdoors? or inexperienced buyers who are being preyed upon?
it's difficult to tell. Buyer beware.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back