Dynadot

sales The right lander + pricing option: BIN, Make Offer, Lead form or Installments? Afternic, Dan, or Sedo lander?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Being asked a lot about these by other domainers, and right now it itches me to respond.

Gonna outline this fairly simple for you below:

- If you use BIN only, people who straight buy it now will buy. But you will reject those who think it's too pricey and would want to make an offer instead.

- If you use make offer only, you will lose money on the missing BINs.

- If you want to use BIN + Make offer at Afternic, no can have. They don't have that.

- If you use BIN + Make offer elsewhere instead, yeah you will get both. But you are going to lose income on the BIN anyway, because 1) those impulse buys customers will no longer see only the BIN, so the impulse is broken and 2) you give them time to think "What should be the offer I make? Should I actually make an offer at all? How does this work? Will they accept or reject my offer?" And all that extra thinking breaks the impulse of course.

- The more time you give them to think, and more steps are in, the less are the chances a BIN sale will go through.

- The more options you give them, the more thinking they'll make = chances are they will give up on any buy impulse). However, the option you make available will turn away the buyers who would like to have another option, such as make offer vs. BIN.

- If you use installments, yeah you will (probably) make more sales but chances are a good part of them will give up down the line (some will do). This could also create some troubles if the buyer has registered a trademark meantime on your domain (happens).

( I don't like installments but that's just me, not everyone else. )

- If you use Afternic, then you're going to need to pay a 20% fee. Oh, and forgot to say, the network might sometimes add an extra markup, which means from the actual sale to the final client you get less than 80%. But that's how the network gets paid as well.

( Call me crazy but I personally prefer Afternic. This ain't YOUR choice though, it's mine and might change in the future).

- If you use Afternic BIN lander, users can't make an offer unless they call in, which some might - but many still won't, they'll just think "too expensive" and walk away.

- If you use Afternic NS3/NS4, you'll get leads in, but no BIN sales via the lander. You will definitely lose some BIN sales. But perhaps you get better negotiated sales via the lead. Which is better from the two options? Good question.

- However, https lander requests don't work with Afternic and Sedo; only Dan has that visitors that have been previously visiting the site via https will get an "insecure site" error that they have to accept through to reach the http lander.

- If you use Dan lander (has https!), you'll get a nice 9% fee BUT 1) you can't sell below $100, and 2) there is no phone number and no brokers to assist the customer = less conversions.

You can however make Dan your only option, and you might definitely get some sales there because there is no other place to buy your domain. But how many sales are you losing from other networks in this way? Also, no phone number, no GoDaddy branding = smaller conversions.

Also I can see some buyers asking themselves "Who the hell is Dan, actually?" Hmm, but maybe I have too wild imagination.

Oh, and the https disadvantage with other venues than Dan, well, that will likely impact a minority of buyers - but you don't really know how many exactly.

- If you use Sedo lander, there are too many links to other places on the site = distracting, taking visitors to other domains etc. You get however a smaller fee (15%) - good part. Oh, and there is no phone number to call. That means lower conversion rates. Of course, there is also no GD branding as well = less trust, read it as less money in.

Forgot to mention the payment time with Afternic; takes much longer to get paid than Dan for example.

- If your buyer is from US, they'll prefer GoDaddy. However if they are from Europe, some of them might prefer Sedo. But you can't know for sure. If the buyer is from another country, what they'd prefer, beats me.

- Same A/B thing applies to listing in USD or EUR. Some buyers will prefer one over another.

- If you use a custom / unknown lander, good luck with that. You're unknown to the buyers - as a brand. Chances are, there is zero trust in you and your lander.

- If you don't use a lander at all, no listing on any network, then you can simply wait for good offers to come via Whois. Some great offer might show up in 2024, or another year.

Question is, how many will come, how good and how often? Also, is the Whois messaging really going to function at all?

I'm pretty sure I forgot to mention 50 things. But I mentioned these, should be good enough.

Now that you're all informed, it should be fairly easy to make your choice...

Good luck then.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everything in the world has disadvantages, but also has advantages as well. I think sometimes it's best not to overcomplicate things.

I use BIN only for any name where I am not willing to negotiate (regardless of the price), and BIN+Make offers where I can, or simply where I am not sure about the correct price and can allow to experiment.

Landers are divided between few registrars / marketplaces - to track who performs best.

•••
What is your preferred option @twiki?

•••
GoDaddy owns DAN now which is clearly displayed on the landers. Clearly DAN is the best option to have all options make offer/ bin/payment plans/ rent only and lower commission . I don’t want brokers sticking their nose in unnecessarily so DAN works fine for me.

I think overanalyzing to this degree is more beneficial if you are a flipper after flip price sales. If you are after end users it isn’t the same as trying to tempt a fellow domainer or branding company into making “impulse” purchases and trying to get into end user head is futile as each case is different.

For long holds—My name, my price my terms. Take it or leave it. For regular quality stock I agree a correctly priced straight bin is probably best but can see the value in also having marginally lower make offer option available at the same time for those who need to feel they got a “deal”.

Ultimately, it always comes down to the quality of the names and the prices. Everything else is just background noise.

•••
What is your preferred option @twiki?

I've already mentioned - Afternic. Landers, well that isn't clear yet, I'm currently using a mix of them.

As I said, this might still change.

Not that it matters what is my (current) preference.. What matters for you is yours.

•••
GoDaddy owns DAN now which is clearly displayed on the landers. Clearly DAN is the best option to have all options make offer/ bin/payment plans/ rent only and lower commission . I don’t want brokers sticking their nose in unnecessarily so DAN works fine for me.

I think overanalyzing to this degree is more beneficial if you are a flipper after flip price sales. If you are after end users it isn’t the same as trying to tempt a fellow domainer or branding company into making “impulse” purchases and trying to get into end user head is futile as each case is different.

For long holds—My name, my price my terms. Take it or leave it. For regular quality stock I agree a correctly priced straight bin is probably best but can see the value in also having marginally lower make offer option available at the same time for those who need to feel they got a “deal”.

Ultimately, it always comes down to the quality of the names and the prices. Everything else is just background noise.
Ah, you haven't got the sense of this thread.

Your view, may I say this, is just your view.

Definitely valid from your point of view (the quality of names stands out in that view). But it's not everyone else's - and I bet it isn't so for 80% of the folks around here. Not everyone will share the same method - for valid reasons I must say.

But of course, with a higher degree of quality in stock, your view is definitely valid - for some others as well but again not for everyone. This however doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.

Anyway, I was more or less making satire about the whole "choose lander" process... Wasn't over analyzing but merely presenting pros and cons as there's no perfect way to do it.

It was for fun, not for giving precise (over-analyzed) advice. The lack of initial comments told me that people got the fun nuance, mostly. Happy to see that.

We all need to chill and explore really, rather than stress out over details and perfection.

Last edited:
•••
+1 to DAN

The only thing I don't like is that they use the text "lease to own" instead of "Pay in installments"

Last edited:
•••
I predominately use DAN, but am testing Sedo landers (sales lander V4 Blank) out on a few .org domains - they look OK to me......Big green buy now button, show's Sedo's contact email and trust pilot score and a few payment options, plus no links on the lander - very clear to any visitors that they need to hit the BIN button and nothing else

But I do prefer the look and layout of DAN's......

•••
Excellent - full of valuable information. @twiki

Someone please #Pin the thread to the top.

Last edited:
•••
Ah, you haven't got the sense of this thread.

Your view, may I say this, is just your view.

Definitely valid from your point of view (the quality of names stands out in that view). But it's not everyone else's - and I bet it isn't so for 80% of the folks around here. Not everyone will share the same method - for valid reasons I must say.

But of course, with a higher degree of quality in stock, your view is definitely valid - for some others as well but again not for everyone. This however doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.

Anyway, I was more or less making satire about the whole "choose lander" process... Wasn't over analyzing but merely presenting pros and cons as there's no perfect way to do it.

It was for fun, not for giving precise (over-analyzed) advice. The lack of initial comments told me that people got the fun nuance, mostly. Happy to see that.

We all need to chill and explore really, rather than stress out over details and perfection.
So you speak for everyone then? 80% sure sounds like it. Don’t open threads if you don’t want opinions. Everyone has something to offer not just you.

•••
So you speak for everyone then? 80% sure sounds like it. Don’t open threads if you don’t want opinions. Everyone has something to offer not just you.
Again, you are taking everything in a different note than intended.

Edit: To be clear, I am NOT contradicting you, but the contrary. Your approach is valid, I agree to it for most of my best names, for the weakest well those are a different story.

It's the same thing as you said, everyone has something to offer. And nobody has all the answers.

I was just making fun of the big conundrum that choosing a lander is for many of us. There's no ideal choice, each has its pros and cons and if you dissect it too much, yeah, you get a big headache. Which is again the same thing as you said, but expressed in a less serious note. I was making fun of things as i went through that as well and many beginner domainers go through a longer process with that.

Feel free though to always share any opinions - nothing against that, and thanks. Your contributions are great and I like them. It's just the note that is different, but everything goes of course.

Edit2: The serious side of the post is, some beginners are not really aware of all these pros and cons and having them listed in one place is going to be useful for them. But not for you.

Your choices are however good for those with a higher portfolio quality where the potential customer is VERY interested in buying that domain and there's no good alternative to it, which is not the case on the lower domain tiers where there's plenty of choice at the same price level etc. Hope this clarifies things.

Last edited:
•••
Reverting back to my decision... since everything is misinterpreted here (for various reasons), its' time for me to finally shut up.

Last edited:
•••
Why will you shut up? One (out of 100) misinterpreted you and you want to make the 99 suffer? Your contribution is gold around here

Last edited:
•••
Why will you shut up? One (out of 100) misinterpreted you and you want to make the 99 suffer? Your contribution is gold around here
Thanks for this. Glad I could be of help.

However please note that I am not mandated to do this. I do this on my own will. But if I get mostly sh** in return, it's fairly easy to understand why I feel I need to shut up and be done with it. To be honest at times I feel quite stupid for continuing so, including now.

The thing is, almost all the posts I made over the last year or so have backfired. Got a lot of negative stuff. My ignore list is growing but seems never large enough. It wears you off, and the thing is, I'm already worn out.

NP is still the best place to be as a domainer, but in my opinion, it gradually became toxic lately. It's not completely so but I see it becoming more toxic every day. People lashing out, often misinterpreting things then lashing out, also straight attacks for absolutely no reason. It's NOT how it used to be a few years ago. Some are ready to get at your neck instantly, for the sole guilt of having posted what you think would help others somehow.

I think there is a gradual decline here, but maybe that is just me, can't speak for everyone else. Several of the more established guys have admitted to this in my conversations.

What bothers me most is not newbies /newcomers; but rather established posters doing this. Because I really did not expect this, and for some reason it still unpleasantly surprises me.

Many NP'ers are fairly jumpy nowadays. Beats me why. Also they see everything as an personal attack for reasons that I can't even fathom. I never attacked anyone, it's not how I am - definitely not an aggressive person. But I'm willing to defend myself in all ways including shutting up if that's the sole measure I personally find working.

Maybe it's just stress due to the market that makes many posters here be so jumpy and aggressive; I don't know. Everyone should really take a deep breath and chill out. We're not fighting here over anything - we're interacting and I still think we try to get help and be helpful in return. I might be a bit childish however in that belief. But If I get past it, I'd turn into a cynical and I really don't like cynical people.

This thread has just turned off the rails it seems, which makes it not worth continuing at least from my side. I will see what I will do next but to be honest I'd better shut up and just comment one line here and there, that's about it. I'm unwatching the thread right now, hope the original post helped someone a bit.

No good deed is left unpunished... one said.

Anyway, will see.

Last edited:
•••
Excellent - full of valuable information. @twiki

Someone please #Pin the thread to the top.
Exactly

Reverting back to my decision... since everything is misinterpreted here (for various reasons), its' time for me to finally shut up.

@twiki I had always found your content informative and relevant to me. So thumbs up from me. Please keep posting.

•••
@twiki
You brought valuable info in this thread.. if one is critisizing that does not mean we all agree! If you look at your opening post you will find many thanks and likes from others including from me.

Please don't be discouraged by negativity and please keep sharing and posting and thank you for your valuable contributions.

Last edited:
•••

However please note that I am not mandated to do this. I do this on my own will. But if I get mostly sh** in return, it's fairly easy to understand why I feel I need to shut up and be done with it. To be honest at times I feel quite stupid for continuing so, including now.

The thing is, almost all the posts I made over the last year or so have backfired. Got a lot of negative stuff. My ignore list is growing but seems never large enough. It wears you off, and the thing is, I'm already worn out.

NP is still the best place to be as a domainer, but in my opinion, it gradually became toxic lately. It's not completely so but I see it becoming more toxic every day. People lashing out, often misinterpreting things then lashing out, also straight attacks for absolutely no reason. It's NOT how it used to be a few years ago. Some are ready to get at your neck instantly, for the sole guilt of having posted what you think would help others somehow.

I think there is a gradual decline here, but maybe that is just me, can't speak for everyone else. Several of the more established guys have admitted to this in my conversations.

What bothers me most is not newbies /newcomers; but rather established posters doing this. Because I really did not expect this, and for some reason it still unpleasantly surprises me.

Many NP'ers are fairly jumpy nowadays. Beats me why. Also they see everything as an personal attack for reasons that I can't even fathom. I never attacked anyone, it's not how I am - definitely not an aggressive person. But I'm willing to defend myself in all ways including shutting up if that's the sole measure I personally find working.

Maybe it's just stress due to the market that makes many posters here be so jumpy and aggressive; I don't know. Everyone should really take a deep breath and chill out. We're not fighting here over anything - we're interacting and I still think we try to get help and be helpful in return. I might be a bit childish however in that belief. But If I get past it, I'd turn into a cynical and I really don't like cynical people.

This thread has just turned off the rails it seems, which makes it not worth continuing at least from my side. I will see what I will do next but to be honest I'd better shut up and just comment one line here and there, that's about it. I'm unwatching the thread right now, hope the original post helped someone a bit.

Keep sharing @twiki. Your experience in domaining is learnable and important for me as beginner.

•••
@twiki
You brought valuable info in this thread.. if one is critisizing that does not mean we all agree! If you look at your opening post you will find many thanks and likes from others including from me.

Please don't be discouraged by negativity and please keep sharing and posting and thank you for your valuable contributions.

Well sometimes it's just misunderstanding more than anything else. I can agree to that, including here perhaps.

Edit: Communication is always a problem between people.

Even the Cold War started via a complete misunderstanding that someone created on purpose (long historical story). And here we are having it forever.

Last edited:
•••
@twiki how is ur sales going, any improvement in sales ?

•••
Am using only BIN
or only Make Offer

never combined.

•••
•••
•••

Twiki - your generosity of giving your experience is much appreciated.

KR
Robert

•••
I always learn something from Twiki's posts. In this one I learned https doesn't resolve at Afternic!! Lol

I haven't typed the prefix into my browser in years and I check all my names once I set my nameservers by just typing in the domain name...

I'm dumbfounded...who doesn't use Secure SSL these days? Oh yeah, Afternic....

Please keep posting and sharing, Twiki

•••
Thank you for your valuable information Twiki.
Please casually show your ideas here, glad to read your contents, thanks

•••
Back