Dynadot

discuss The Problem with Domains - they are not liquid in bad times

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robert27

Established Member
Impact
By all accounts things are going to get worse economically so how can you get some money in. I am a newbie and know very little but from what I can see there are better things to invest in than Domains. I suppose it all comes down to quality and liquidity, a good domain will always sell. Where is the best place t sell a good one in bad times ?
Where are the investors now? I suspect on the side lines waiting to pick up the bargains so does that mean even if you say cut the prices by 50% you still wont get a buyer because they are waiting for all the bargains - crypto, shares real estate etc to present themselves and domains are way down the list.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All what was said is correct -
but with 10% inflation, I much rather invest into domains now, then hold my money.

Honestly.

When it comes to crypto, it's the same.

These months are best, to do your homework & prepare, invest your inflationed money into good assets.
(even the stock market & gold/silver is coming back, which act. indicates that we passed the bottom).

Sell, when the time comes.

Good times for investors, bad times for fiat money believers.

These months and years will show a shift in wealth agclomoration and how it is being stored.

Meanwhile, nft/metaverse/dec. web projects will only get more important, not less.....

When you think about it:
10% inflation is the best reason, to hold BTC etc.

Or other assets, incl. good domains.

Last edited:
•••
By all accounts things are going to get worse economically so how can you get some money in. I am a newbie and know very little but from what I can see there are better things to invest in than Domains. I suppose it all comes down to quality and liquidity, a good domain will always sell. Where is the best place t sell a good one in bad times ?
Where are the investors now? I suspect on the side lines waiting to pick up the bargains so does that mean even if you say cut the prices by 50% you still wont get a buyer because they are waiting for all the bargains - crypto, shares real estate etc to present themselves and domains are way down the list.

This is a wrong approach. Yes, domains are very illiquid and risky. That's why they might have very high returns.

You can't expect high ROI, low risk and demand liquidity at the same time.

If you need to liquidate your domains because of "bad times" then you are doing it wrong. you should have an emergency fund, definitely don't use your emergency fund to buy domains. You should also have a regular source of income.

When you buy a domain, prepare to hold it for 10+ years, provided you want to sell this domain to an end user for a good price.

•••
Psst,crypto winter is over

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back