IT.COM

discuss The "Was this an auction sale or purchase?" Thread.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Thought I'd start this thread since on Namebio and other sites there not really any designation as to which domains sold via Auction or via regular inbound or outbound sales.

Here's a few I was curious about but please do share some domains you were curious about whether it was an auction sale or regular sale.

Everyone knows if a domain sells for big money at auction that's an EVENT because it was a successful auction. Depending on where it sells people assume it is an auction sale so it's not really a benchmark sometimes on the value of the keywords.

It is understood if a domain sells for big money chances are it was an enduser. And then there are those domains that sell for big money and we all just scratch our heads thinkig " what the heck?"

So why not clear up the mystery. If you are the seller of the domain let this thread be where we clear up the mystery concretely. This is useful info I think for all.

For example, what caused me to start this thread are these .bet domain sales below.

fox.bet 7,845 USD 2019-05-15 Sedo
coin.bet 6,265 USD 2019-06-25 Sedo

both sold at Sedo.

If the sellers are here. Please confirm if these were Auction sales or Not.

I assume because it's Sedo that they were Inbound sales as this is typical of Sedo plus Sedo auctions as of late people have complained has had a lackluster performance as far as domain auction final sold prices.

So should we assume these were inbounds? would be nice if I were wrong and these were auction prices.

If people are bidding this high for .bet domains on Sedo then that's a good thing overall for .bet domains.

This is the point of this thread.

Please share your own list of domains that you wonder if they were auction or not auction sales and let's get to the bottom of these mysteries shall we?

I guess I'm talking mostly about Sedo and Godaddy.

As far as Namejet or Dropcatch. Would be nice to have confirmation of the domains were backorders or private sellers since this info isn't provided on Namebio.

No diss on Namebio by creating this thread as this extra info would be too much to ask for. Namebio is a great resource overall regardless.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Methinks you are overthinking this...the only mystery is what motivates any buyer to purchase anything.

The irony, of course, is that some who consider themselves a 'Seller' sometimes make the best 'Buyers'.

Last edited:
•••
my point in creating this thread is to isolate legit domain auctions where there are many bids on the domain. This is how we can gauge market sentiment as far as keywords are concerned. How can we do that if we can't know for sure if the domain sale was an auction or an aftermarket inbound or outbound sale?

a domain that sold for $5,000 at auction speaks volumes. not just of the domain but of the keywords contained in the domain.

It tells us all that there are people out there who are domainers or endusers ( that's a different topic entiredly on who are bidding) I'd assume it's domainers. Or at least I'd like to think that. when we think of other domainers we always assume domainers are cheap. But it never ceases to amaze me how high domains can go for at auction.

If you hear someone bought a domain for $50,000 yea sure it's an event but most will tell you. That's just one fluke. many have said my CoinMena.com was a once in a blue moon. That CoinMena.com they would not even pay reg fee for it. But if we saw more "MENA" domains sell for big bucks AT AUCTION then now we are talking.

but if we can't figure out which is which. then all that data is useless as depending on what venue we can't ever be sure.

Me? when I see Sedo or Godaddy domain sales? I have to really look and see which ones were aftermarket buyer or a bunch of domainers bidding on a domain. The more useful info is the auction one. not the inbound sale.

Last edited:
•••
I totally get it; in the end, I think this whole game is a crap-shoot... like I said, Sellers make the best Buyers.

That said, the right domain name will command its price - the question is, who sold it to whom...and when?

•••
Does a public sale make better sense than a private sale for the long-term value of a domain? Say you hand-reg and sell for $2,500 on an auction site, that's publicly listed and therefore increases the domain value in terms of data? Or not?

•••
My impression is any high value keyword think 6 dollar and above cpc to advertise is going to go a long way in boosting value. It needs to be the domain or part of it without a lot of extra noise or letters.

•••
Does a public sale make better sense than a private sale for the long-term value of a domain? Say you hand-reg and sell for $2,500 on an auction site, that's publicly listed and therefore increases the domain value in terms of data? Or not?
Methinks there's a lot of variables there... in the end, we're known for the home-runs, not the strike-outs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back