Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You forgot GEOs.tel - GEOs are the other big category in DOT TEL.

name.tel, companyName.tel and premiumKeyword.tel are the only three worth owning at this stage. Anything outside of this is a risky gamble with a slim chance of paying off.

name.tel... .tel falls within the same group as every other social site to Joe Surfer. The fact that it is on it's own TLD doesn't mean much. If .tel can establish itself on the level of the major social sites, name.tel domains will be worth a similar amount as desirable major social site usernames. So we're talking low to mid $xxx in most cases. If any are selling for that right now it's because .tel is a domainer's domain.

companyName.tel... Obviously TM infringement if domainers own them.

premiumKeyword.tel... Given .tel's purpose, companyName.tel is the smartest one to use. A really great keyword.tel is also a nice option for a second profile. And when I say great keyword, I'm talking the category killers like cars.tel, hotel.tel, nightclub.tel, computers.tel, etc...

Anything that falls outside of these three is pure garbage at the moment and it will probably stay that way.

•••
So Dub-
what think ye of names like:

dnatesting.tel
jetcharters.tel
aupairagency.tel
charteryachts.tel

????

they have avoided TM issues, but still seem to be decent keys?
DNAtesting might be too specific as a point of contact for a science lab. If I was into .tel, the other three would be the sort of thing I'd be going after.

The deeper the keywords go, the bigger .tel is going to have to get for them to pay off since each level down loses like 90%.

Travel -> Airlines -> Charter Flights -> etc...

•••
Google is page ranking TELs

Google is page ranking TELs , promoting dot tel =2, kprobe dot tel =3, henri dot tel =5 justin dot tel =5 tans dot tel =2

Last edited:
•••
GEO.tel is working well for us... thank you very much.

geo.tel's are fueled entirely by plans to use the pre-fab directory feature to sell listings. No legitamate developer is going to even consider doing this, so I am extremely skeptical that otherwise non-developers can come in and make this work with .tel's crippled revenue stream options compared to a real TLD.

It is absolutely 100% impossible for a .tel directory to match the revenues as the same system on a .com with added banner spots and development options.

For that reason, I'm giving most geo.tel's a thumbs down.

•••
•••
name.tel... .tel falls within the same group as every other social site to Joe Surfer. The fact that it is on it's own TLD doesn't mean much. If .tel can establish itself on the level of the major social sites, name.tel domains will be worth a similar amount as desirable major social site usernames. So we're talking low to mid $xxx in most cases.

With all due respect, the fact that it's a .tel domain makes it nothing like user names for other social sites. That's not even considering the .tel VOIP/Mobile capability nor .tel's potential for future portability. In time, I suspect you'll be able to register and log-in to thousands of different websites using a single .tel domain name as a user name/personal identifier.

That being said, how many name.tel owners reading this thread would be willing to sell a premium first name .tel (i.e, Mike, Jim, Dave, Laurie, Carol, Jenny, etc.) for less than $1,000? Less than $2,500? Less than $5,000?

Not too many, I'd guess. Names like these have exceptional development and marketing potential. Low to mid $xxx would be like giving them away. If anybody has a premium first name.tel they want to sell for $150 PM me.

Last edited:
•••
geo.tel's are fueled entirely by plans to use the pre-fab directory feature to sell listings. No legitamate developer is going to even consider doing this, so I am extremely skeptical that otherwise non-developers can come in and make this work with .tel's crippled revenue stream options compared to a real TLD.

It is absolutely 100% impossible for a .tel directory to match the revenues as the same system on a .com with added banner spots and development options.

For that reason, I'm giving most geo.tel's a thumbs down.

Honestly, you haven't got a clue. You're like a guy looking at boats on the water then running around telling everyone who is parked in a car and yelling, while pointing at the cars; "It won't float, it won't float." Better to just keep quiet, I think for you, because you are just making yourself look silly.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Google is page ranking TELs , promoting dot tel =2, kprobe dot tel =3, henri dot tel =5 justin dot tel =5 tans dot tel =2

How did you get page rank on these? I have about 250 links to my personal .tel but it is still not ranked. I don't think any of mine are ranked yet. Good on you.

Last edited:
•••
How did you get page rank on these? I have about 250 links to my personal .tel but it is still not ranked. I don't think any of mine are ranked yet. Good on you.

are your links coming from other sites that you own on shared hosting?

•••
FYI:

'Just added a new list with a few good choices on the Available Domains thread!

Last edited:
•••
are your links coming from other sites that you own on shared hosting?

Some are coming from sites I have at Whypark and some from shared hosting. How does this make a difference - Google looks at host?

•••
Pagerank

Of the 300+ TEL domains, 160 have page rank 1, 6 are PR 2 and 2 are PR 3. Kprobe .com pointed to kprobe .tel from day one. Maybe thats why it has a PR 3. Also word-games .tel has some links to it.

•••
first name .tel in plural form

how many name.tel owners reading this thread would be willing to sell a premium first name .tel (i.e, Mike, Jim, Dave, Laurie, Carol, Jenny, etc.) for less than $1,000? Less than $2,500? Less than $5,000?[/B][/I]

Not too many, I'd guess. Names like these have exceptional development and marketing potential. Low to mid $xxx would be like giving them away.

I think first name plurals would be equally desirable, for example:

garys.tel
johns.tel
mikes.tel
toms.tel
jacobs.tel
pauls.tel
davids.tel
marys.tel

They are actually more grammatically correct than the singular form and roll off the tongue a little better.

I mean, if everyone has a ".tel" (ie .tel becomes synonymous with the way to contact someone) then you can contact gary at garys ".tel".

Even better, perhaps one day you could phone gary "at" his ".tel".

•••
trademark names

If a supposed trademark name (brand) did not purchase their own name, during a well published and designated period, did not during the "high dollar" purchase period, and did not even in the General, and or has a majority of other .whatevers in their current portfolio; how do they misses out on their .Tel? Do they enjoy legal battles, instead of seizing opportunity?
Are they "too big to fail"

So now Joe Whoever buys the name and is a fan of the brand (sports team, company, whatever) and begins using the name to "communicate" with similarly interested people, and those people feel he is somehow expert on the brand/subject.

What if this person turns around in Independent Contractor fashion and begins selling the products or service of this company for them, basically a reseller...would that be a bad thing? Would that be an offense or an opportunity seized?

I'm not an attorney so am not advocating one way or the other, just asking???

Steve

•••

No way would I sell my first name .tel for anything less than seven figures.

No kidding.

Which means that it's basically not for sale.

;)

With all due respect, the fact that it's a .tel domain makes it nothing like user names for other social sites. That's not even considering the .tel VOIP/Mobile capability nor .tel's potential for future portability. In time, I suspect you'll be able to register and log-in to thousands of different websites using a single .tel domain name as a user name/personal identifier.

That being said, how many name.tel owners reading this thread would be willing to sell a premium first name .tel (i.e, Mike, Jim, Dave, Laurie, Carol, Jenny, etc.) for less than $1,000? Less than $2,500? Less than $5,000?

Not too many, I'd guess. Names like these have exceptional development and marketing potential. Low to mid $xxx would be like giving them away. If anybody has a premium first name.tel they want to sell for $150 PM me.

•••
Just a reminder for those who are new and haven't read the thread
but just want to chime in at the end...

This is NOT a Showcase thread or a Self Promotion thread.

•••

No way would I sell my first name .tel for anything less than seven figures.

No kidding.

Which means that it's basically not for sale.

;)

Absolutely!

•••

IMHO:

If you're too heavy-handed on applying THE RULES, you'll simply drive members away.

It's just that simple.

And FYI, this thread started out as a showcase thread but then got merged with another .tel thread, and the RULES got changed.

If you look at other threads, you'll see a looser interpretation of the rules, particularly in the .mobi threads.

I don't see anyone trying to sell their .tels here, just discussing them and what their plans are for them. What's wrong with that?

Why is .tel being so restricted on this forum, anyway?

Just a reminder for those who are new and haven't read the thread
but just want to chime in at the end...

This is NOT a Showcase thread or a Self Promotion thread.

•••

IMHO:

If you're too heavy-handed on applying THE RULES, you'll simply drive members away.

It's just that simple.

And FYI, this thread started out as a showcase thread but then got merged with another .tel thread, and the RULES got changed.

If you look at other threads, you'll see a looser interpretation of the rules, particularly in the .mobi threads.

I don't see anyone trying to sell their .tels here, just discussing them and what their plans are for them. What's wrong with that?

I'm kind of curious too. Posts made in the .us and .me threads stuck just fine and no one had a problem with it. The same type of post in this thread got deleted practically within seconds.

I think this forum is being very restrictive on what can and can't be discussed about .tel. And no showcasing allowed?? Every other extension has their special showcase threads going, what's the harm in people showing off their names?...Weird.

•••

IMHO:

It's just that simple.

Unfortunately I was not a mod at the time the threads
were merged. Otherwise they would have stayed separate
as with all the other TLD's I didn't make the call, just
following a rule. and FYI, this was always the Discussion thread, the Showcase thread was merged with this one.
There is also no development restrictions on all the
other TLD's hence, showcasing makes sense at that point.

Until the "Development" restrictions change, your .tel will look like my .tel - so why an active link? why post it 50 times?

When things happen it'll be a blow out of showcasing, no doubt!
Until then, there is the social group.

EDIT**
I will inquire about starting the Showcase thread again

Last edited:
•••
EDIT**
I will inquire about starting the Showcase thread again

Thanks, all new extensions have one. What happened was the showcase thread turned into a discussion thread and vice versa.

•••

forums have gotten so 'self important' that they're basically just a showcase for prejudice of some sort or another.. funny read tho.

•••

BTW, the .tel showcase was the FIRST .tel thread on namepros, so in that sense, the other thread was merged into the very long showcase thread.

More importantly, while the structure of .tel is set and restricted, what owners do with their content (keyword section) and types of contact selected can be varied, but we'd be hard put to know about it by looking on Namepros.

Mis_Chiff, please do see what you can do about re-opening that showcase thread.

Thanks!

•••

forums have gotten so 'self important' that they're basically just a showcase for prejudice of some sort or another.. funny read tho.

I don't think NP falls into that category. This is for the most part a great forum with a lot of great people that are willing to share their knowledge. Overall, it is very well moderated and one of the best forums I have had the pleasure to be a part of.

•••

IMHO:

It's just that simple.

I don't own any .tel domain name but I entirely agree with the basic thesis of your argument. :)

•••
I don't think NP falls into that category. This is for the most part a great forum with a lot of great people that are willing to share their knowledge. Overall, it is very well moderated and one of the best forums I have had the pleasure to be a part of.

I absolutely agree here, which is why I felt I could speak out.

Namepros is a GREAT forum.

;)

•••
Back