IT.COM

The LLL.com sales report & discussion thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
We need this one too guys :)

This guide will also help LLLL.com holders to understand more the value of their 4 letters .com based on how expensive the similar 3 letters .com are.

http://3character.com/priceguide.html

Pricing Guide for 3-Letter (Composed Of Letters Only) Domains:

Current Observed Minimum Wholesale Price (regardless of letter combo) as of February 1, 2008:

3-Letter .com - $6700 (+ $300 since January 1, 2008 report)

But I consider their guide a bit old since they are not taking in consideration the emergenging countries that appreciate other letters and as we have run a poll here several times lately, the majority of people consider the letters U
and W to be Premium letters.

Let`s have a look at some recent LLL.com sales as reported from NameBio.com :

nak.com $27,135 2007-12-22 SEDO.com
nyz.com $10,605 2007-12-19 tdnam
utw.com $10,100 2007-12-10 SEDO.com
via.com $157,500 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
cgf.com $14,500 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
vkx.com $6,200 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
mje.com $10,734 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
okf.com $8,500 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
our.com $60,000 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
kxr.com $7,101 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
lhg.com $13,613 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
wae.com $10,099 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
hya.com $7,499 2007-12-06 SEDO.com
yrd.com $9,100 2007-12-05 SEDO.com
vfk.com $15,750 2007-11-29 AfterNic.com
qee.com $10,882 2007-11-27 SEDO.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Average sale price of those is around: $23700
If you remove the top 2 it's still around $11500

Now, dividing this we have:

23700/26 = $911
11500/26 = $442

Not bad for average prices... :)

•••
The wholesale pricing is quickly shooting up. I think your going to be hardpressed
to find an LLL.com under 7.5 right now

•••
Spade said:
The wholesale pricing is quickly shooting up. I think your going to be hardpressed to find an LLL.com under 7.5 right now
Do you see the LLLL.com frenzy boosting LLL.com prices?

•••
italiandragon said:
We need this one too guys :)

This guide will also help LLLL.com holders to understand more the value of their 4 letters .com based on how expensive the similar 3 letters .com are.

thanks Dragon. good idea for thread

think is a great reference for L-L-L.com holders to realise and compare what they're sitting on.

my mum used to say she was sitting on a fortune
:hehe: :sold:

•••
arnie said:
my mum used to say she was sitting on a fortune
:hehe: :sold:
Oh, your mom was a domainer too? ;)

Seriously, though...you're right. This thread will be a great reference for L-L-L.com investors as well...good job, Lorenzo!

•••
dag said:
Do you see the LLLL.com frenzy boosting LLL.com prices?

Yes and No. LLL.com's have steadily been on the rise, regardless of LLLL.com's - if anything LLLL.com's give investors a greater range of niches to choose from. LLL.com growth has been solid for years, one of the safest investments in domaining (IMHO). I think that they will continue to see solid growth each month, and will hit 10k min wholesale pricing midway or just after that, this year...

(thats make my 2,800 investment in 2006, a nice return in 08)

Justin

•••
Spade said:
Yes and No. LLL.com's have steadily been on the rise, regardless of LLLL.com's - if anything LLLL.com's give investors a greater range of niches to choose from. LLL.com growth has been solid for years, one of the safest investments in domaining (IMHO). I think that they will continue to see solid growth each month, and will hit 10k min wholesale pricing midway or just after that, this year...

(thats make my 2,800 investment in 2006, a nice return in 08)
Good points all around. Sure do wish I'd gotten into domaining when I'd first given it any thought at all, back in the mid-'90s! :(

•••
Here are my LLL.com sales from the past few weeks:

FBS & YRJ - $25,000
NIQ - $8,750
YXL - $7,500
RVX - $7,500
KMX - $7,200
QRQ - $7,000

Here are some of my sales from December and January:

PPX - $10,000
WPK - $7,500
HVW - $6,700

If memory serves the min wholesale reported on 3character.com for LLL.coms was about $5k in October. In a little over four months it has jumped over $1.5k which is pretty crazy if you ask me. These will always be a solid investment if you have deep enough pockets.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, I've got a question for you: did you get all those LLLs back when they were still available at an affordable price, much as people are doing now with the LLLLs and L-L-Ls, or have you been buying those up as you go along?

If it's the former, congratulations on being in on it when the timing was right!

DomainRaiders.com said:
Here are my LLL.com sales from the past few weeks:

FBS & YRJ - $25,000
NIQ - $8,750
YXL - $7,500
RVX - $7,500
KMX - $7,200
QRQ - $7,000

Here are some of my sales from December and January:

PPX - $10,000
WPK - $7,500
HVW - $6,700

If memory serves the min wholesale reported on 3character.com for LLL.coms was about $5k in October. In a little over four months it has jumped over $1.5k which is pretty crazy if you ask me. These will always be a solid investment if you have deep enough pockets.

•••
•••
Did a little sorting, a' la Reece:
italiandragon said:
Let`s have a look at some recent LLL.com sales as reported from NameBio.com:
Words, removed from consideration: via.com, our.com
also removed an outlier: nak.com $27,135 (pronouncable - or short for naked?).

Tri-premium:
cgf.com $14,500
lhg.com $13,613

one semi-premium:
okf.com $8,500
mje.com $10,734
wae.com $10,099
hya.com $7,499
yrd.com $9,100

One non-premium:
qee.com $10,882

Two semi-premium:
utw.com $10,100
vfk.com $15,750

one semi-premium, one non-premium:
nyz.com $10,605
kxr.com $7,101

Three semi-premium or worse:
vkx.com $6,200

Granted this is a small sample - and we must remember that the percentage of all-premium LLLLs is roughly 1/3 less than that of all premium LLLs (one more letter to multiply, a third of which are non-premium).

Still, while there is a general increase of value as letter quality increases, it is stunning to me how small that difference is, given the 8:1 ratio of all premium to anti-premium LLLL prices.

Will demand for "any" LLLL outweigh demand for the "best" LLLL?
Are anti-premiums really the best investment?

Great thread idea, we need to consider these kinds of things.

Last edited:
•••
Considering the number of anti-premiums available, I'd say that probably you are right, as supply is really very short, like vowels, now the question is:

Are we calling Premiums to REAL premiums, or we need to start dividing the Premium letters in 2 categories?

I consider anti-premiums: Q, W, X, Y, Z (same number as vowels)
Semi-Premiums: J, K, U, V
And then all the others, so scarcity will happen on the bad side of the alphabet, specially when China wakes up... :imho:

•••
premium is just premium.

•••
Shenron said:
Considering the number of anti-premiums available, I'd say that probably you are right, as supply is really very short, like vowels, now the question is:

Are we calling Premiums to REAL premiums, or we need to start dividing the Premium letters in 2 categories?

I consider anti-premiums: Q, W, X, Y, Z (same number as vowels)
Semi-Premiums: J, K, U, V
And then all the others, so scarcity will happen on the bad side of the alphabet, specially when China wakes up... :imho:
First of all you need to find out that W isn't anti-premium. Moreover many domainers consider it as premium and there certain points to do it.

•••
Ergo said:
First of all you need to find out that W isn't anti-premium. Moreover many domainers consider it as premium and there certain points to do it.

totally agree.

for those domainers that think w isn't 'premium' lol, think again

•••
W not premium? NWO,com on Sedo would beg to differ!

W has some very strong acronym potential and in this case, it's somewhat obvious why the bid is so high.

Ergo said:

•••
Yeah OK, I guess I have messed up... it was 6 a.m., though I don't think W is premium, maybe semi premium ;) , in any case the math won't change a lot there.

•••
accentnepal said:
Did a little sorting, a' la Reece:
Words, removed from consideration: via.com, our.com
also removed an outlier: nak.com $27,135 (pronouncable - or short for naked?).

Tri-premium:
cgf.com $14,500
mje.com $10,734
lhg.com $13,613

one semi-premium:
okf.com $8,500
wae.com $10,099
hya.com $7,499
yrd.com $9,100

One non-premium:
qee.com $10,882

Two semi-premium:
utw.com $10,100
vfk.com $15,750

one semi-premium, one non-premium:
nyz.com $10,605
kxr.com $7,101

Three semi-premium or worse:
vkx.com $6,200

Granted this is a small sample - and we must remember that the percentage of all-premium LLLLs is roughly 1/3 less than that of all premium LLLs (one more letter to multiply, a third of which are non-premium).

Still, while there is a general increase of value as letter quality increases, it is stunning to me how small that difference is, given the 8:1 ratio of all premium to anti-premium LLLL prices.

Will demand for "any" LLLL outweigh demand for the "best" LLLL?
Are anti-premiums really the best investment?

Great thread idea, we need to consider these kinds of things.

Those are great datas but you listed:

mje.com $10,734

as a triple premium which it`s not as J is not a top one....I find U & W being more more used in acronyms than J.

I think it`s useful to bring back the letter frequency in several languages page:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=914452

E 12.4%
T 8.9%
A 8.0%
O 7.6%
N 7.0%
I 6.7%
H 6.5%
S 6.2%
R 6.1%
D 4.6%
L 3.6%
U 2.7%
M 2.5%
W 2.3%
C 2.2%
F 2.2%
G 2.0%
Y 2.0%
P 1.6%
B 1.3%
V 0.8%
K 0.7%
Q 0.1%
X 0.1%
J 0.1%
Z 0.0%

As you can see, even in English , J is the 25th most used letter....only in front of the Z....

Also, since the above statistics is not referred to acronyms but to the use of letters in different languages, I think it may be useful to have a look at this survey (despite old , 2002) regarding the use of letters in 4 letters acronyms :

http://www.mcgees.org/fourletterdomains.html

By combining the two , we can get some useful info.

Last edited:
•••
italiandragon said:
As you can see, even in English , J is the 25th most used letter....only in front of the Z....
An important thing to keep in mind, however, is that when "j" appears in words in the English language, it's far more likely to appear at the beginning of a word, whereas, "x," for example, is usually within a word.

Therefore, for the purposes of acronyms, "j" should be much higher on the list than hanging out down there with "x."

You can see that's why it doesn't show up at the bottom in the "least used" acronym section in your second link.

•••
dag said:
An important thing to keep in mind, however, is that when "j" appears in words in the English language, it's far more likely to appear at the beginning of a word, whereas, "x," for example, is usually within a word.

Therefore, for the purposes of acronyms, "j" should be much higher on the list than hanging out down there with "x."

You can see that's why it doesn't show up at the bottom in the "least used" acronym section in your second link.

True :)

•••
VERY interesting, and something that should always be kept in mind with acronyms:

I dug around the Internet and found this chart, analyzing the initial letters of words, passwords (which for our purposes, we can ignore), and common English names.

Take a look at where the "J" is on English names! And first/last names are very commonly part of business acronyms...

passesandenglishandnames.jpg

•••
dag said:
VERY interesting, and something that should always be kept in mind with acronyms:

I dug around the Internet and found this chart, analyzing the initial letters of words, passwords (which for our purposes, we can ignore), and common English names.

Take a look at where the "J" is on English names! And first/last names are very commonly part of business acronyms...

passesandenglishandnames.jpg

Interesting indeed, thanks!

•••
J should not have been in the all-premium collection, which makes the chart a bit more elegant. Surprised that nobody has remarked on the point that I was making - that all-premium LLLs are not anywhere near as much more valuable than antipremiums compared to LLLLs.

I have felt for a long time that "J" was under-appreciated, I put it along with K as second to W in the semi-premiums - and better than "U". But I think it is a continium for the entire alphabet, not a simple premium/semi-premium/anti-premium divide. And all four letters count, not just the worst - the worst letter is more of a bottleneck, limiting the acronym use, but I challenge those who have a number of LLLLs to check their stats - those domains that include an "S" will, more often than not, show more traffic.

•••
Reece said:
W not premium? NWO,com on Sedo would beg to differ!

W has some very strong acronym potential and in this case, it's somewhat obvious why the bid is so high.

exactly. those who say otherwise really look stupid imo

they can point stats, roll out flowcharts rofl.

on top of a few other thousand other words:

World Wide Web Ring any bells? :sold:

to have a W in any configuration is so damned handy, if only for world and web.

obviously the countless other words in the dictionary.

also any letter as the first letter is cool as for geo, it can relate to any city or country on the planet, which all start with every letter. sure some start with more chance of an a than an x for example, but you get what im trying to say

i too dont like x much, but 'w'???. hilarious :sold: :sold: :sold:

•••
Back