IT.COM

The heated Unstoppable / Handshake fiasco at NamesCon 2022

NameSilo
Watch

Croc

Upgraded Member
Impact
Recorded a video of one of the panels at NamesCon yesterday. It got super spicy and heated because the creator of HNS/handshake was verbally calling out Brad Kam, the founder of Unstoppable Domains on stage over web3/blockchain stuff

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unstoppable Domains markets "decentralized" while really arguing for centralization, where they have a monopoly ending with ICANN approved extensions that are magically just awarded to them for reasons, without competition.

Brad

•••
Unstoppable Domains markets "decentralized" while really arguing for centralization, where they have a monopoly ending with ICANN approved extensions that are magically just awarded to them for reasons, without competition.

Brad

It reminds me of all these big tech players like Zuk and Dorsey trying to champion "decentralization" and web4, when it really comes down to money and control. They would not be pushing these things unless they were the gatekeepers of these new "decentralized" systems.

Last edited:
•••
Watched it all, thanks for the upload

•••
Seated from left to right:
• Ray King - Porkbun CEO
• Thomas Barrett - EnCirca President
• Chjango Unchained - Executive Director of dWeb Foundation
• Brad Kam - Unstoppable Domains Co-founder
• Chris Guggemos - Handshake Creator
• Soeron von Varchmin - NamesCon Advisory Board chairman

•••
They would not be pushing these things unless they were the gatekeepers of these new "decentralized" systems.
Hi

isn't that how it always has been?

who was pushing .mobi
and
who was pushing "new.net"?

and whether it's central or dcentral, now you see them together, all in one place
:)

imo...

•••
whats the difference in chat and starting a new thread here anyways?

•••
stoppable domains are hypocrits. They launched then .coin extension when another company already had it out. So this cant be their argument. And they know this. After filing that lawsuit the .coin extension disappeared from thier site. What about all those customers? mor than 40k registrations on thier .coin extension. morons

•••
whats the difference in chat and starting a new thread here anyways?
Just to keep the conversation organized. The chat post was for posting the video without the full context, but the thread is to continue the conversation around the video and gather opinions.

•••
stoppable domains are hypocrits. They launched then .coin extension when another company already had it out. So this cant be their argument. And they know this. After filing that lawsuit the .coin extension disappeared from thier site. What about all those customers? mor than 40k registrations on thier .coin extension. morons
Yeh after watching this (thx 2 Crock btw) I am more convinced than ever Handshake is the way forward to Web3 where folks don't go suing one another over domains. It's too bad, because Unstoppable broke my virginity with crypto-based domains, but now they just feel like a nasty one-night stand.

It's ironic when the UD rep was asked what he would do if ICANN would come out with a TLD that collided with one of theirs, and his response was nothing short of "well, hopefully they just play nice". Right. Wallet/ anyone? And they lost that anyways.

Collisions will occur, it's up to these people to sort it out without resorting to old Web2 tactics of self-entitlement.

•••
Yeh after watching this (thx 2 Crock btw) I am more convinced than ever Handshake is the way forward to Web3 where folks don't go suing one another over domains. It's too bad, because Unstoppable broke my virginity with crypto-based domains, but now they just feel like a nasty one-night stand.

It's ironic when the UD rep was asked what he would do if ICANN would come out with a TLD that collided with one of theirs, and his response was nothing short of "well, hopefully they just play nice". Right. Wallet/ anyone? And they lost that anyways.

Collisions will occur, it's up to these people to sort it out without resorting to old Web2 tactics of self-entitlement.
Agreed

•••
It

B
Recorded a video of one of the panels at NamesCon yesterday. It got super spicy and heated because the creator of HNS/handshake was verbally calling out Brad Kam, the founder of Unstoppable Domains on stage over web3/blockchain stuff

The corporates have ruined the world . If you realize, politicians are just lobbyists for big corporates, the whole idea behind Web3 is getting out of that system . They will keep attacking as much as they can but there will always be rebels working against such a system … I kinda relate this to assassins creed

•••
Unstoppable comes off really poor imo. I hope the .wallet handshake case comes out favorable for the owner!

It’s very interesting when you have a company that claims to be decentralized but they run to court the second they can’t control the space 🤦‍♂️

•••
We have to see what happens next . According to Scott, the owner of .wallet, Namecheap is the final destination for .wallet extension … from my perspective it’s not when but if that happens, it will ignite a big brawl … but handshake is protocol … you can’t take away the protocol. Based on Scott’s conversation on discord he can’t even wait for that. Since gateway disappeard , he stepped up to the court and is building his own temporary registrar for the Sld owners. Because handshake is a protocol, Just like the few websites I created with hns blockchain domains … they will always do their thing, ie resolve websites … regardless of any VCs backed corporates doing their own thing …

Http://www.hnsapps.hns.is/
Http://www.emojiland.hns.is/
Http://www.lankydudes.hns.is/

The hns.is is the simplest resolvers for a newbie … there are many … if you use opera mobile android browser, as they recently started resolving … They don’t need that hns.is at the end to resolve

•••
Nice, I got in early so have lots of extensions.

•••

That was interesting, it got a little heated in the Namescon Track that was just online the year before. It's funny because most of the world doesn't even understand these yet outside of the domain industry.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back