Dynadot

question The great VR drop!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
For the new year I dropped and plan to drop a number of VR domains.

Who is with me on this one?

Any one else dropping some VR domains in 2018?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yup the right ones are worth it but the cull has to happen, so much crap in vr, I don't think I've seen anything like it unless you talk about 420 domains. Another situation where 420 was added to every word in the dictionary.

•••
yes I definitely see an endless stream of VR drops almost daily.. and I am happy people are not renewing those.. they'll never sell. however, at same time, its clear investors are keepign solid faith in VR domains.. as nothing really worth registering or re-registering is being let go. maybe 1 out of 200 domains... of some average potential.

it'll be interesting to see the future. but if you are not ahead of game, and wait for the future to start your investment.. then you just miss another domain trend boat. they're not all worth jumping on of course.. but imo VR is.

cheers.
gl

•••
yes I definitely see an endless stream of VR drops almost daily.. and I am happy people are not renewing those.. they'll never sell. however, at same time, its clear investors are keepign solid faith in VR domains.. as nothing really worth registering or re-registering is being let go. maybe 1 out of 200 domains... of some average potential.

it'll be interesting to see the future. but if you are not ahead of game, and wait for the future to start your investment.. then you just miss another domain trend boat. they're not all worth jumping on of course.. but imo VR is.

cheers.
gl

I still think there are far too many registrations in vr. Let me go grab my vrphone, lets watch some vrtelevision, or drive our vr car. None of those will be relevant. There will only be a select few that actually have an application.

Take my VRStick as an example, it could actually have a realistic application which is why I kept it.

You put a presentation on a virtual stick and you can pass it around, when someone plugs it in they get the virtual experience. Kind of what they are doing by dropping memory sticks in North Korea.

That said, even with an actual application the highest offer I have had on this domain is $150.
I finally figured I would price it at $500 because no real person can ever find application for it. It would have to be an end user and odds of that are pretty slim. I will admit that even on my own domain and I'm really glad I don't own a hundred of them.

•••
I am keeping a couple but did not get blahVR I decided to get something a little different, a two word .com, not sure if I will sell it or keep it but until I decide I will renew.
Virtually Really.

•••
I still think there are far too many registrations in vr. Let me go grab my vrphone, lets watch some vrtelevision, or drive our vr car. None of those will be relevant. There will only be a select few that actually have an application.

Take my VRStick as an example, it could actually have a realistic application which is why I kept it.

You put a presentation on a virtual stick and you can pass it around, when someone plugs it in they get the virtual experience. Kind of what they are doing by dropping memory sticks in North Korea.

That said, even with an actual application the highest offer I have had on this domain is $150.
I finally figured I would price it at $500 because no real person can ever find application for it. It would have to be an end user and odds of that are pretty slim. I will admit that even on my own domain and I'm really glad I don't own a hundred of them.

well.. I am afraid its a bit more complex than this.. I think VRstick has potential and I'd renew it.. but if you say it has more potential than VRcar or VRphone or VR just about everything then Im going to disgaree with you :)

I think personaly that many keywords have potential and appliccations in VR.. you can get a glimpse of what I mean by looking at namebio sales for VR so far.. reading VR thread.. and searching some VR websites already running..

I still believe (as do mny others) that VR will be one of those very rare revolutionary techs.. a bit like TV.. internet itself... cellphone etc... just not for the 100s of crap domains dropping daily... as you said it.. pretty pathetic domains never work.. in any niche :)

gl!

•••
I will keep only:
VRKeys.com
VRRegister.com
They have potential to organize and to unlock the VR, I think :)

•••
this was already covered on the VR thread many times... but.. let's do it again.. for old times sake :)

there are tons of crappy VR domains dropping daily.
so if the original poster here is asking if "pretty pathetic" vr doamins should be dropped or not.. then for sure.. drop all of those! for any niche not just VR!
but that goes without saying..

now for the better keywords.. here are some facts whether u like them or not..

1- there are 100s of namebio VR sales so far.. and possibly 100s more in private..
with the better keywords selling obviously for more.. but also many lower quality keywords.. selling for well.. less.. but sometimes for suprising amounts too! like in any niche, some went to endusers and some to resellers..

2- there are many many VR keywords operating websites around... even some virtualreality+keyword sites too.. developed.. etc...

3- everyone who decided to invest some money into VR knew from start it was logn term game (despite the many early sales)... so to be suprised at amount of action (good or bad) now or quit now... is.. well.. [insert your favorite word here]. :)

I check VR expiring domains every couple days.. among other things.. and let me tell you... 99% of what I see shoudl have never been regged to begin with.. so if that is what the OP here meant by pretty pathetic then he is right on the money :)

as for me, I'm keeping some VR domains.. letting some expire too.. but I am definitelky not quiting the VR investment/scene when from start I intended for this to be a long term investment...

but like in all niches.. you gotta have some sense of what you're doing.. many people call a keyword good or bad.. without really knowing the difference between the two.. like all things, it takes some research and practice :)

speaking of VR sales.. this just came in my mailbox today (godaddy)... so don't be dropping all your VR domains just yet.. just the "pretty pathetic" ones hehehhhee cheers.. happy new year.

Show attachment 76695

This is a great post !!! Also

You damn near gave me a heart attack when I saw the Name you just sold !

Thought it was mine first lol

Had to double check , I own

VRaser //com//

I will be adjusting my price ! Thanks and congrats on the Sale :)

Last edited:
•••
well.. I am afraid its a bit more complex than this.. I think VRstick has potential and I'd renew it.. but if you say it has more potential than VRcar or VRphone or VR just about everything then Im going to disagree with you :)

Nope, I don't think mine has a lot of potential, that is what I said. Then again I don't think vrphone has a lot of potential either. Other than in North America the terms cell phone is almost non- existent, the term used more often than not is MOBILE phone. I cannot see that changing to vrphone. If and when VR phones become commonplace they will be referred to as phones or mobile phones. An HD television is still a television. When it was new we called it an hd television and now its 4k, soon it will be vr but in the end it will basically be referred to as a television. The hd, 4k, vr or whatever else follows will drop by he wayside.

Please understand, I am not knocking anyone's inventory of domains, I had a number of them myself. I just came to the realization that I was barking up the wrong tree. Yes a number of good ones will sell but millions of registrations will fall by the wayside and domainers will have spent a small fortune. I just decided that I would not be one of them.

•••
Nope, I don't think mine has a lot of potential, that is what I said. Then again I don't think vrphone has a lot of potential either. Other than in North America the terms cell phone is almost non- existent, the term used more often than not is MOBILE phone. I cannot see that changing to vrphone. If and when VR phones become commonplace they will be referred to as phones or mobile phones. An HD television is still a television. When it was new we called it an hd television and now its 4k, soon it will be vr but in the end it will basically be referred to as a television. The hd, 4k, vr or whatever else follows will drop by he wayside.

Please understand, I am not knocking anyone's inventory of domains, I had a number of them myself. I just came to the realization that I was barking up the wrong tree. Yes a number of good ones will sell but millions of registrations will fall by the wayside and domainers will have spent a small fortune. I just decided that I would not be one of them.

no worries mate.. I think we are both aware that our opinions about future of VR here, the niche itself as a whole will perform as it is meant to perform in future. in other words, talking about it here, will not decide its future! so I welcome opinions of all kinds.. I've already formed my own based on a lot of research, reading, keeping track of sales (my own and others) etc.. this is why I continue to invest in it.. while each year as my knowledge of VR and domaining in general increases, some domains get dropped.. some get replaced with others etc etc.. domaining is a constant learning.. and our results reflect our efforts and time we put into learnign about it all.

like pretty much all other fields or enterprises of our lives! :)

cheers.

•••
Alcy, you are one cool dude, goes to show how two guys with different perspective can have a level headed exchange. Quite refreshing since everyone feels their portfolio is under a microscope when in most cases a well rounded discussion is a learning process for both parties involved. I quite enjoyed your feedback (y)

•••
For the new year I dropped and plan to drop a number of VR domains.

Who is with me on this one?

Any one else dropping some VR domains in 2018?
I own 5 – 10 carefully handpicked VR domains and wouldn’t dare drop any. The title of this thread is why green domainers go broke. If you register mass amounts of domains based on future tech and hype, you will lose money and/or go broke.

•••
I own 5 – 10 carefully handpicked VR domains and wouldn’t dare drop any. The title of this thread is why green domainers go broke. If you register mass amounts of domains based on future tech and hype, you will lose money and/or go broke.

I know someone who had thousands of 420name.com domains and I know someone else who has hundreds of vrnames.com and namevr.com

In both cases they are facing astronomical renewal bills with minimal to no return.

@Keith a few carefully selected domains are no big deal, but owning hundreds of them might make one feel a bit nervous right about now.

•••
Show attachment 76695[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the sale.
I have a similar one, VRRaces.

Like you, I'm keeping some or most of my VR names, but dropping the weaker ones.

•••
I know someone who had thousands of 420name.com domains and I know someone else who has hundreds of vrnames.com and namevr.com

In both cases they are facing astronomical renewal bills with minimal to no return.

@Keith a few carefully selected domains are no big deal, but owning hundreds of them might make one feel a bit nervous right about now.
Exactly my point. If you own thousands of domains in a niche category, you don’t know what you’re doing and will go broke...

•••
They are VR / AR brandable which will have market like Aryzen.com , I sold Aryzon.com which is a Big brand now in AR :)

•••
Trouble is many of us who start investing in new tech are new to domaining, you open a thread up on a tech that you have some interest in (to a degree) and read dreamers posts how x domain (even average) is going to be worth 5/6 and 7 figures in a few years and bullshiters who say they've turn down this and that and you can easy get influenced

Some people learn to stop registering shite quickly and can spot dreamers/bullshiters rather quickly, i did. I haven’t registered a domain name in nearly 2 years and now just stick to names that is regarded as premium (on paper).

Last edited:
•••
I don't think we will be using the term as much as actually using the technology. I don't think anyone will say... let me take the vr call as much as let me take the call.

When vr becomes common place I think the terminology vr in itself will become obsolete because it will just be expected. Very similar to www, there is no reason to say that ever.

Hmmmm... @MapleDots I think I will respectfully disagree with you on this one... Because of the immersive quality of VR, I think it will remain a separate tech from conventional phone calls - IMHO a better analogy would be a "conference call", "face time," "Skype" etc., ... (Then again, I own VRcalls, so I'm obviously not an impartial party! ;))

As to the ongoing culling of the crappier VR names from your portfolio, well, that's just part of domaining whatever particular domain-vertical you're working with...

PS - We are still in the very early days of VR - We don't even have a viable wireless headset yet - And "Ready Player One" hasn't even hit the theatres... I suspect those who drop quality VR names will rue that decision in the coming few years... (BTW, it is edifying to reread the early posts on the VR adoption curve - Many folks called this technology for mass adoption no earlier than @2020... Planning for renewals until that time is just part of being a wise domainer... :laugh:)

•••
Hmmmm... @MapleDots I think I will respectfully disagree with you on this one... Because of the immersive quality of VR, I think it will remain a separate tech from conventional phone calls - IMHO a better analogy would be a "conference call", "face time," "Skype" etc., ... (Then again, I own VRcalls, so I'm obviously not an impartial party! ;))

As to the ongoing culling of the crappier VR names from your portfolio, well, that's just part of domaining whatever particular domain-vertical you're working with...

PS - We are still in the very early days of VR - We don't even have a viable wireless headset yet - And "Ready Player One" hasn't even hit the theatres... I suspect those who drop quality VR names will rue that decision in the coming few years... (BTW, it is edifying to reread the early posts on the VR adoption curve - Many folks called this technology for mass adoption no earlier than @2020... Planning for renewals until that time is just part of being a wise domainer... :laugh:)

You have some valid points and killer domains will always be valuable.

However...

Face Time, skype, google duo, hangouts and whatever you want to call them will eventually all have to work together and then they will just be a phone call like everything else. How do I know this? Well lets just say google is in my hometown and gmail is created there. Things like duo have recently been incorporated into the regular phone app. Now you call or face call whatever you want to call it all inside the main app. When VRCalls come to town they will be absorbed in much the same manner. I won't be vrcalling you, I will simply be calling you, the main phone app will do all the heavy lifting and that will be it.

All the technologies will come together.... a self driving car only gets identified as that for a very short period of time. As more and more cars hit the road it will just be called a car.

But hey, I am a domainer and I am rooting for you guys and I hope you get the big paydays, that would be better for all of us. I'm just going to say that you should take the offers that come in before the technologies merge or get absorbed by another technology. The window of opportunity will not last long, technology is taking leaps forward now.

•••
Indeed, timing is always a factor, but I think VR hasn't come close to hitting its stride... As to integration of all features into one device, again I see where you're going, but I think we're at least a decade or more away from that holistic approach to the tech. (Of course, maybe Magic Leap will surprise me with and all-in-one 5g wireless device that does VR/AR on demand... In that case a big mea-culpa will be coming your way!)

Also, as to "driverless cars" becoming just "cars," you want to keep in mind that existing non-driverless vehicles will be on the road for at least the next 20-30 years... So folks will continue to differentiate between the different types of vehicles... JMHO... ;)

•••
Am I the only one thinking that in this particular niche brandables will do better than exact?

Aside from exceptional keyword names, that, by definition cannot be many, I think the industry will look more for short and catchy to actually name/brand a product...imo nothing more than technology related niches need short and catchy.

I only own a few VR names as the great ones were well gone when I started thinking about it so I am not trying to defend an investment.

•••
My biggest mistake was regging too many 3 word domains and too many non-English VR domains. Not because they have no value, but because it will likely take even longer for those to sell because the premium VR + Keyword domains will need to sell first. There are exceptions of course which I am keeping.

Over all my biggest mistake was regging more than I can chew in general. VR will have success but there's no way that there will be that many companies that would want to buy enough domains to justify regging so many.

Doesn't mean VR is a failure domain wise. Just means the success was far over-estimated by many if US.

•••
My biggest mistake was regging too many 3 word domains and too many non-English VR domains. Not because they have no value, but because it will likely take even longer for those to sell because the premium VR + Keyword domains will need to sell first. There are exceptions of course which I am keeping.

Over all my biggest mistake was regging more than I can chew in general. VR will have success but there's no way that there will be that many companies that would want to buy enough domains to justify regging so many.

Doesn't mean VR is a failure domain wise. Just means the success was far over-estimated by many if US.

At least you understand it was a mistake registering 3 word vr domains. You realized the error and learned a lesson. I'm still doing that myself and with each error I get just a bit wiser. I remember bidding $800 USD on a domain at godaddy that I would never have paid more than $250 for. That damn tension when someone bids against you. You kind of feel the domain must be special because someone is bidding it up. Then later on you realize it was probably some amateur or the owner of the domain bidding against you.

Lesson learned move on. In my case I was lucky and the domain did not hit my account. The one time I was grateful for godaddy's shenanigans.

•••
At least you understand it was a mistake registering 3 word vr domains. You realized the error and learned a lesson. I'm still doing that myself and with each error I get just a bit wiser. I remember bidding $800 USD on a domain at godaddy that I would never have paid more than $250 for. That damn tension when someone bids against you. You kind of feel the domain must be special because someone is bidding it up. Then later on you realize it was probably some amateur or the owner of the domain bidding against you.

Lesson learned move on. In my case I was lucky and the domain did not hit my account. The one time I was grateful for godaddy's shenanigans.

Good. Just remember that there are exceptions. I don't regret paying for OnlineVRGames and WebVRGames in the aftermarket. They are two of some of my most powerful domains even though they are 3 words. I have a few more, but I definitely don't recommend keeping too many of these.

•••
Good. Just remember that there are exceptions. I don't regret paying for OnlineVRGames and WebVRGames in the aftermarket. They are two of some of my most powerful domains even though they are 3 words. I have a few more, but I definitely don't recommend keeping too many of these.

Yup they are pretty good but nor AS strong as you think VRGames.com already indicates online, one does not need the online if one has the real domain. OnlineVrGames will be an " I'll settle " domain for whoever cannot get the shorter. Same goes with webvrgames, in my opinion that is an obvious as soon as you add a period after the name.

So good yes.... great.... well, I guess that one is open for interpretation.

Seriously though in most cases my vr game might be called StoneCrusher so I would register StoneCrusher.com and if I could not get it I would go for StoneCrusher.play or PlayStoneCrusher.com. I don't think I would pay big bucks for OnlineVrGames.com. I might make you an offer of some kind but I don't think it's a huge payday per say.

Check out my signature...... click on VRstick.com... that one has tons of potential.... what am I selling it for? 500 measly bucks, highest offer to date..... $150

•••
Yup they are pretty good but nor AS strong as you think VRGames.com already indicates online, one does not need the online if one has the real domain. OnlineVrGames will be an " I'll settle " domain for whoever cannot get the shorter. Same goes with webvrgames, in my opinion that is an obvious as soon as you add a period after the name.

So good yes.... great.... well, I guess that one is open for interpretation.

Seriously though in most cases my vr game might be called StoneCrusher so I would register StoneCrusher.com and if I could not get it I would go for StoneCrusher.play or PlayStoneCrusher.com. I don't think I would pay big bucks for OnlineVrGames.com. I might make you an offer of some kind but I don't think it's a huge payday per say.

Check out my signature...... click on VRstick.com... that one has tons of potential.... what am I selling it for? 500 measly bucks, highest offer to date..... $150

I think I made this clear already in my first reply....did I not?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back