Dynadot

discuss The Future of LiFi Technology & Who has LiFi Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
There was Chatter about this in another thread here on NP so I figured instead of going off topic there that I should start a new topic for discussion here to continue the off topic discussion.

So who has Lifi Domains? If you mentioned it in thee other post please mention them here thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm sitting this one out.

Said by pretty much everyone who's ever missed out on some great investments.

Lifi tech. Proof of concept? Yes!
Company who's main biz is lifi ? Yes!
Working and existing product? Yes!
Readily disgestible concept? Yes!
Market? Yes! Who? Pretty much anyone tech savvy an hungry for faster wireless data speeds.
Wifi is old. Lifi is new. You a choice iPhone 1? Or iPhone 7? Which will 1 billion want and drool over. And want for "braggin" rights. For God sales we live in a world where people goobled up the roomba! You really think lifi tech won't be a winner?

No worries sit this one out I'll grab the lifi low hanging fruit that you could have gotten. Lol

•••
Said by pretty much everyone who's ever missed out on some great investments.

Lifi tech. Proof of concept? Yes!
Company who's main biz is lifi ? Yes!
Working and existing product? Yes!
Readily disgestible concept? Yes!
Market? Yes! Who? Pretty much anyone tech savvy an hungry for faster wireless data speeds.
Wifi is old. Lifi is new. You a choice iPhone 1? Or iPhone 7? Which will 1 billion want and drool over. And want for "braggin" rights. For God sales we live in a world where people goobled up the roomba! You really think lifi tech won't be a winner?

No worries sit this one out I'll grab the lifi low hanging fruit that you could have gotten. Lol

At no point did I state Lifi wouldn't be a success and that domains wouldn't sell. You've completely misinterpreted my post.

The crux of my point is that sales will be limited, just like they were for Wifi. Why? Because outside of services for Lifi networks etc, who is going to build out and brand a business around a lifi domain?

There's a good reason why sales data is so thin on Wifi domains and the same principles apply to lifi.

•••
•••
The bread and butter for domainers isn't that one big hit its that blogger looking for a good topic to build basically an AdSense style site. Who really sells to endusers these days anyway. You want everyday money ? Focus on selling to bloggers or people looking keyword domains to build on

•••
That's where you will make $100 to maybe $500

•••
And sure if you are lucky $1000 to $10000 to an end-user

•••
I am not getting into the Li-Fi game, but I would like to throw in my 2 cents for my fellow domainers as advice. I work with technology every day and I hate to see anybody "waste" their money.

Li-fi is great technology but like many have said before.. its still in its infancy. It is fast, secure and has great potential, however I think the limitations should be considered before investing into any technology. The main problem with Li-Fi is that light cannot penetrate solid objects which means that the uses for it are limited to a specific spot. Can it still turn into great technology? Yes, however I would recommend that you concentrate on smaller area keywords to go along with it (receiver, bulb, hotspot etc).

Also, before anybody tries to argue that it might develop into something bigger technology wise and how well it can be integrated.. I am not saying that it can't be, however current technology shows that Comfort / Price will be chosen over Speed. We're already using light to transmit data.. its called Fiber optics.

Is fiber optics technology used? Sure but currently mostly for businesses because its expensive
Is it faster than WiFi? Sure but currently its expensive while a wireless router cost $20
Is it more secure than WiFi? Sure but its still expensive

Again, I am not trying to be a downer.. Invest in whatever domain you want to buy but maybe consider my thoughts before you hit the purchase button.

•••
"adsorbable" wrote: "The main problem with Li-Fi is that light cannot penetrate solid objects which means that the uses for it are limited to a specific spot."

That's the strength of "leafy" <= French pronunciation :) - you can easily get compartmentalization in highly congested / high net traffic density areas. Another compelling app is indoor navigation - with the explosion of LED lighting, lifi light bulbs can each emit a unique signature which a lifi-enabled smartphone can use to tell you how to get to a specific store, room, car, other person, etc. RF-based nav systems cannot currently do this indoors,

So what kind of tech do you work in everyday, adsorbable? I'm going to guess material science / chem or process tech and not netwoking? (absorb & adsorb)

And the whole point of buying in now is get in at reg fee. I bought some a couple of years ago after I saw some lifi tech at CES just over 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
•••
Actually I have my degree in Network Engineering and work in the field (just like adsorbable.com lol). I am not arguing (there is really no reason for it considering that none of us know where the future of the tech will be) that you shouldn't buy them.. just be more selective about your choice.

5 Years ago 3D also started to pick up in popularity for homes and everybody thought it would be a big new technology.. how many people do you know with an actual 3d tv?

•••
Well I never bought any 3D TV domains much less the TVs. See, I'm selective. :) I've been going to CES, Interop, etc for over a decade. The real question is did any domainers make any money off of 3D TV domains or get carry over into 3D printing domaining. (domain sales or keyword traffic)

You lost networking credibility imho when you brought in optical fibre as an argument against lifi. (hardline vs wireless)

None of us know the future - some of us prefer to buy at reg fee in advance and others will buy mature / proven names at significantly higher prices. Many do both.

Last edited:
•••
I think you're missing my point, but you're right and you can invest in whatever you would like :) I have plenty of domains that are tech related and that I've secured for 10 years hoping that the technology will become mainsteam but in different fields. Good luck to all

•••
Your underlying point was be (more) selective. So define selective. Kinda boils down to "hey everybody just buy good domain names!" Now define good. Have a good day. :)

ps how come none of your tech domains are listed on adsorbale.com? Or are the tech ones those non-English ones?

Last edited:
•••
Hey adsorbable I'm as much the skeptic as the next guy but from what I've read
Lifi is a go!
And thee argument that lifi doesn't go thru walls won't diminish it. I read somewhere that the solution is that lifi Won't replace wifi but accentuate it. So it will be like hard-line to wifi to lifi. Or wifi outdoors and lifi indoors. All connected to each other.

•••
Your underlying point was be (more) selective. So define selective. Kinda boils down to "hey everybody just buy good domain names!" Now define good. Have a good day. :)

ps how come none of your tech domains are listed on adsorbale.com? Or are the tech ones those non-English ones?

I've partnered with somebody else and we have a shared portfolio that we maintain. A lot of the tech domains are German and are mostly listed on Sedo. Unfortunately my full-time job keeps me pretty busy so the website tends to suffer a bit :)

•••
sweet! I tried to get that! you had it. Good hit! They just came out with the first LiFi Dongle which is basically USB. you should sell that quick but $3000? shouldn't you ask for more like $10,000?

May be a while before it goes that high. But, will keep watching.

•••
LifiMart.com
LifiKit.com
Lifiproduct.com
Lificart.com

•••
However, it is the security aspect that might give it its first boost. Haas says Li-Fi offers greater security than Wi-Fi. “Light waves do not pass through walls, so secure wireless communication is possible in cyber-secure spaces,” Haas explains. “Moreover, there are areas where radio simply does not work, or is not permitted such as underwater and in aircraft cabins. The possibilities are nearly unlimited.

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/ar...he-future-of-secure-communications-technology

•••
"""There are always Pros and Cons for every technology""

•••
I picked up Li-Fi.sale not sure anything will come from it in the next year, but will see it its worth hanging onto when it comes to renew.

•••
Registered few more LiFi related domains..

LiFi.Systems
LiFiBoss.com
MegaLiFi.com
MiniLiFi.com
CheapLiFi.com
LiFiSystems.com

•••
I recently acquired LiFiPrinter .com

LiFi technology should drastically improve the timing of wireless printing.

•••
Any trademark issues? I remember with WiFi some wondered

•••
I have ganlab/s as that is the tech behind lifi i also have lifi x on xyz extension all are available if anyone is interested.

•••
Any trademark issues? I remember with WiFi some wondered
There are several trademarks for Li-Fi some related to the technology we are concerned with but still remains many options for domaining IMO.

However I would suggest to check with legal professionals before using LiFi domains.

•••
Many domainers are more concerned about looking for "big trends", and they often miss out on good old fashioned domains on topics such as cooking, gardening, and etc. LiFi is one of those topics that is garnering a lot of attention, but haven't solved some of its problems involving reliability and security.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back