IT.COM

The future of 3 character dot net’s?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dncafe

I Buy WebsitesTop Member
Impact
Where do you guys see 3 character dot net domain names going? In last 2 years I have seen the 3 character dot coms nearly triple in value. Is it worth investing in 3 char .net’s?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes
3 character .com and .net are really very valuable and try to grab as many if you can afford
They can be used for
1. Domain forwarding
2. Nameservers etc

•••
3 Char .coms have been "sold out" for hand registration for several mos, Haven't checked all .nets lately, but on last check, there were only a couple of thousnad avail out of the 46,656 possibilities and they also may be gone by now. Most, (if not all), meaningful 3 char combos are gone in all major tlds/cctlds, although "meaningful" is rather ambiguous and can be stretched to cover alot of territory. I have made 3Char names w/ meaning a little bit of a specialty, so I am continually amazed by the creativity of some of my fellow domainers in this regard.

•••
Seems that there are allot of 3 char dot nets that are deleted daily and several thousand more still un-reged. :|

•••
When I say 3 character I mean letters only, no hyphens or numbers.

•••
3 characters, the way it is normally used refers to mixed letter, number, hyphen names as well as pure 3 letter, 3 number names.

3 Letter= specifically 3LLL
3 Number= specifically 3NN

3 Letter . coms start at approx $3,000
3 Letter .nets at approx $250-$500, depending upon the letters.

The prices have risen dramatically over the past year- aslmost 300%
They are a great investment.

•••
There are still ones dropping for .net I have seen, and sometimes (but rarely) dropping in .coms. Try to get them as they drop and register them.

•••
FWIW, SnapNames just missed on a 3LLL.net B/O, (along w/ a L-L.net), so for good letters, at least, these are getting very competitive, as will .org, .info, .biz and the major cctld's in time, IMHO.

My feeling is that .biz and the major cctld's might really shine here, even more so than .info, , because businesses seem to be gravitating more towards their 3 and 4 letter initials, as evidenced in many of the recent ads that I've seen. There are only so many of these to go around. 8^X

•••
dncafe said:
When I say 3 character I mean letters only, no hyphens or numbers.
well most think that as letters and numbers

•••
Grrilla said:
FWIW, SnapNames just missed on a 3LLL.net B/O, (along w/ a L-L.net), so for good letters, at least, these are getting very competitive, as will .org, .info, .biz and the major cctld's in time, IMHO.

My feeling is that .biz and the major cctld's might really shine here, even more so than .info, , because businesses seem to be gravitating more towards their 3 and 4 letter initials, as evidenced in many of the recent ads that I've seen. There are only so many of these to go around. 8^X

Very competitive. Enom caught the last two LLL.net domains that dropped.

LMK.NET closed today in private auction with a winning bid of $550. And DEM.NET closed yesterday in private auction at $470. They also caught NAP.NET last week ($2,100) so it looks like they are closing in on Pool. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention Enom also caught GYT.NET which is closing tomorrow. Highest auction bid so far is $200.

Last edited:
•••
I was asking because I just bought YRU.net. Any thoughts on this name? Thanks.

•••
YRU is Why are you?
I think the price is around $150.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back