IT.COM

discuss The Domain Names category no one is talking about

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

postscripter

Top Member
Impact
I've noticed that my domain name: myfavorite.club is getting traffic, way more than what I would expect. Same goes to my domain lets.repair
I've found that this maybe due to auto link generation by messaging apps. like Whatsapp.
It happens quite often that we type a period by mistake or we start with a second sentence without leaving a space after the period.
Most messaging apps have deployed auto link generation, from not only the major extensions but also from new TLD. This has created a whole new traffic source, which is very often incidental and unintended traffic.
So domain names which form a sentence or can be a part of end of a sentence and start of another, and has new tld that is a common word, like pizza, repair, restaurant...etc, may get some of its value from these incidental visits.
What do you think? Do you have domain names that may get these type of visits?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Targeted traffic has value. That is traffic that can be easily monetized.

I have several domains with a fair amount of traffic from some random sources.

When you are talking about "unintended" or "incidental" traffic it has far less value because it is not that easy to monetize.

Still, it is interesting to see those sources are generating some traffic.

Brad

•••
Good observation.

I targeted this type of traffic over the years a few times but as Brad said, incidental visits are of low value so I don't really do it anymore. It is a fascinating topic to research though, I can tell you that. Processing instant messaging text corpora, building models and then watching if the thing gets traffic. Fun times.

Last edited:
•••
Good observation,

I think what you meant here is the typo domain name and some big companies are expecting how their name might be written in mistake and they purchase the typo ones and redirect them to the proper website.

This could be good if you found any of these domains and you don't want to pay any effort from your side, so it would be enough if just put them on any parking platform and earn some revenue from such incidental visits.

IMO.

It will always be the greatest idea to maximize your revenues from your domain to add value to it by building a website and try to deserve the visits based on the valuable content you may use.

Don't forget that before you think to buy, think to sell (means you should select attractive and nichey domain words initially and they will sell themselves)

Marwan

•••
Good observation,

I think what you meant here is the typo domain name and some big companies are expecting how their name might be written in mistake and they purchase the typo ones and redirect them to the proper website.

This could be good if you found any of these domains and you don't want to pay any effort from your side, so it would be enough if just put them on any parking platform and earn some revenue from such incidental visits.

IMO.

It will always be the greatest idea to maximize your revenues from your domain to add value to it by building a website and try to deserve the visits based on the valuable content you may use.

Don't forget that before you think to buy, think to sell (means you should select attractive and nichey domain words initially and they will sell themselves)

Marwan
no, I did not mean typo domains. I mean domain names that can generate traffic because of a sentence in an instant app interpreted by the system as a link and getting converted to a url.
Let's say you are asking someone whats your favorite club, and instead of writing favorite club you wrote favorite.club now this will reach the other end as a url of favorite.club and may get clicked.

Last edited:
•••
Now I got your point clearly.

Thanks for the clarification.

•••
I have written created thread on type ins subject which mentions this.

•••
•••
Back