IT.COM

reviews The dark patterns of Network Solutions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Registering a domain name at Network Solutions can be tricky and pricey, and transferring a domain away from them is an unwarranted waiting game.

by Jon Henshaw

I occasionally stumble upon a domain name I want that’s already registered and isn’t being used. If I can’t establish communication with the registrant, I will typically backorder it via SnapNames. When the domain I’ve backordered expires, SnapNames will attempt to acquire it. If they do acquire it, and I’m the only person that backordered it, it’s mine. If more than one person has backordered it, SnapNames will auction the domain, awarding it to the highest bidder.

SnapNames works and I’ve successfully bought six domains using their backorder service. There’s just one catch. Acquired domains are managed through Network Solutions, and transferring a domain away from them takes a significant amount of time and patience. The transfer process is so lengthy compared to other registrars I’ve used, I decided to document the experience.

To streamline documenting the domain name transfer process, I registered difficulttotransfer.com at Network Solutions. What I experienced was a registration process that was full of dark patterns.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm experiencing the same thing, just won an auction on SnapNames, it got transferred to Network Solutions, and I'm having heck of a hard time being able to manage the domain. Network Solutions online chat doesn't work, and phone support is on hold forever.

Also, seems there is no way to get around the 60 day hold which is frustrating.

•••
They make you wait for your Auth Codes when you want to transfer a name away or need your Auth Code to submit names to NameLiquidate.

Renewal fees are very high.

•••
Back