Dynadot

discuss THE CONS OF .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
For those who are fond of downvoting, proceed to doing so if you haven’t already. Yes, you read it correctly. We welcome your downvote. Most of what you read post this point will likely be considered unpopular by the “conventional domain investors” who subscribe to “.com tribalism”. With this stated, let’s get the -23 reputation score up to, or past, a record -100.

Now, there’s a simple question we’d like to pose:

WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?

It’s apparent that many domain investors live by the “.com only” investment strategy. Whether this is by choice OR not having the courage/ability to endorse something new is what many don’t openly discuss. We’ve noticed that some investors act like a scorned ex when they hear about any extension other than their beloved .com. Some people might call it an obsession; while others might say it’s “normal”. We simply ask “why”?

Does the .com have any greater utility than any other extension? Last we checked, it doesn’t seem to offer too much beyond what other extensions offer. Does being a die-hard endorser of .com mean one can actually “own” the domains they rent at some point? Does “renting” a .com equate to being immune to online censorship? We’re NOT asking for a friend. We’re inquiring for those who’ve “thought it” but didn’t “ask it”.

We want your thoughts on what makes the .com so supreme. The broken record that is “top sales” and “web traffic” aren’t necessary here. Please forgo the “I also have .net, .org and some .xyz’s” counter. There are over 1000+ ICANN TLDs; and we’d like to know why YOU single out one and treat a few others like slot-filling sidekicks. It feels like the .com bubble is haunting the domain investment world. Maybe it’s just a dream though.

Share your thoughts below. Don’t be shy. Show your devotion to the .com and the downvote.

(Smiles)

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, we're just not cultured or refined enough. Sounds like a bottle of cheap shampoo.

Wines.xyz isn't that good of a name by the way... as an investment. Obscure extension, nothing to do with the niches that we associate .xyz with. Is there a wines nft or decentralised project called wines? If not it's just one of many new gtld names with the keyword "wines" that can be registered right now for not too much like wines.link, wines.investment, wines.news, wines.academy, wines.lol. Therein lies the lesson.

Last chance, what .com names do you own that you constitute as good names

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
First off my friend Mad, I’m halfway finished with the bottle so I’ll lay it on you,

I was responding to someone else, not you, but again I love how you twisted my words to fit once again your narrative.

If a name is bad, c’est la vie ! wines.xyz is not a bad name, mortgage.loans is not a bad name ^ look who owns mortgage.com and mortgage.biz * so to you; it’s a fucking legendary name,

A name that commands a trillion dollar market ^

You made it personal so why not, still haven’t seen your portfolio of good names, please allow me to be the judge since I represented names like 77.com, SW.com, AI.com, Cats.com, VR.com WW.com, PU.com etc I believe I have a greater idea of what constitutes a Great Name

By the way, I obtained a $3,000,000 cash offer from HTC to buy VR.com - the owners (anything.com) failed to execute, the name is still for sale.

And you’re absolutely right, what was I thinking, $130,000 is obviously great gross numbers for the legendary SEDO great domain auction
represented = broker
I can’t take you seriously anymore, not that i have.

•••
WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?

1- Fees: COM has alternatives with lower reg, transfer, renewal fees.
2- All the good COM domains are taken. Usually it costs more time and more money. If the project is urgent, an alternative could be chosen to avoid losing time in buying process.
3- Second hand COM is the most expensive one. Sometimes whether it's worth or not is questionable or the answer may not be easy. In cases it's worth, budget maybe insufficient.

•••
represented = broker
I can’t take you seriously anymore, not that i have.

I told you that I used to broker premium .com domains ... I no longer do

•••
@Al
1- Fees: COM has alternatives with lower reg, transfer, renewal fees.
2- All the good COM domains are taken. Usually it costs more time and more money. If the project is urgent, an alternative could be chosen to avoid losing time in buying process.
3- Second hand COM is the most expensive one. Sometimes whether it's worth or not is questionable or the answer may not be easy. In cases it's worth, budget maybe insufficient.
Thank you! You’re one of the few respondents that actually provided a clear outlining of valid things that can be addressed to increase the value of .com and other TLDs/GTLDs alike.

We wish you much success in your endeavors.

•••
@Al

Thank you! You’re one of the few respondents that actually provided a clear outlining of valid things that can be addressed to increase the value of .com and other TLDs/GTLDs alike.

Chris, don't be surprised because you didn't actually ask for things that could be addressed to increase the value of TLDs/GTLDs alike, so why would you expect that as a response?

You asked for the CONS of .com, then moaned about how some people love .com, some incoherent ramblings about renting and censorship and then asked for what makes .com "so supreme"...

Last edited:
•••
@Al

Game OVER!!! Finally!!!
Hopefully now you heard what you have been begging for, now off ya go. ✌️

You win!! King Com is dead, as you predicted and the crown was so heavy on his head it crushed him 🙄 (as predicted)

You’re not changing a mind on here nor is you’re overwhelming use of the english dictionary in each post. 😂😂😂

•••
Chris, don't be surprised because you didn't actually ask for things that could be addressed to increase the value of TLDs/GTLDs alike, so why would you expect that as a response?

You asked for the CONS of .com, then moaned about how some people love .com, some incoherent ramblings about renting and censorship and then asked for what makes .com "so supreme"...

@poweredbyme read the exact post everyone else read; and “chose” to answer the question that was emphasized from the onset:

“Now, there’s a simple question we’d like to pose:

WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?”

Needless to say, everyone reads and interprets things differently. We don’t find fault in anyone’s interpretation of the post. We truly appreciate anyone who took time out to read and respond. (Regardless of their stance.)

No matter how it’s framed, the proverbial picture stays the same though. The question was clearly posed; and could’ve been answered similarly. Providing “choice views” was always optional; but they definitely revealed a lot here.

•••
Game OVER!!! Finally!!!
Hopefully now you heard what you have been begging for, now off ya go. ✌️

You win!! King Com is dead, as you predicted and the crown was so heavy on his head it crushed him 🙄 (as predicted)

You’re not changing a mind on here nor is you’re overwhelming use of the english dictionary in each post. 😂😂😂
We’ve made no reference to “.com’s death”. We have no reason to endorse such an idea.

We’ve made it extremely clear that we rent and leverage .com’s like others in this forum.

Overwhelming use of the dictionary? Registrar service terms and conditions are longer.

There was no “game” to be played here. We posed a question; and tribalism took the stage.

•••
There was no “game” to be played here. We posed a question; and tribalism took the stage.
Don't be so ridiculous.

You asked two questions at least. Conflicting questions. Then didn't like the answers. Nothing to do with tribalism.

Most people in here want people to make money out of domains, not to piss around with names that don't sell cause there are too many of them.

When .com falls there won't be anything to invest in with the chance of a solid return.

Last edited:
•••
Who wouldn't trade their term in another extension for .com?

Companies do it daily. Most consider it an upgrade when they can afford it.

There is nothing wrong with other extensions, but there is only (1) .com.

Brad
Totally agree! There is only 1 .COM extension. Everything else are replicas.

•••
if and when a day comes that dot com falls, it will be the day of the end of DNS and the internet as we know today

•••
Don't be so ridiculous.

You asked two questions at least. Conflicting questions. Then didn't like the answers. Nothing to do with tribalism.

Most people in here want people to make money out of domains, not to piss around with names that don't sell cause there are too many of them.

When .com falls there won't be anything to invest in with the chance of a solid return.
MAD…
These two guys are forum spammers, watch your account and wallet.

They bait post, to keep threads alive to show strength to get credit to then pull a move. Whether it’s to show people the carry threads and sell services or what but whatever it is, the topic always revert back to the same thing, GTLD. and they know that will be a hit button, that will get people going.

I am an enabler to these post, that will stop now…. we just have to stop replying to the nonsense now or they’ll continue to feed these threads to get likes and dislikes so they look like someone.

Seen it, know it, lived it.

This is not a post for WNC or
Alessandro to reply…..😡

•••
MAD…
These two guys are forum spammers, watch your account and wallet.

They bait post, to keep threads alive to show strength to get credit to then pull a move. Whether it’s to show people the carry threads and sell services or what but whatever it is, the topic always revert back to the same thing, GTLD. and they know that will be a hit button, that will get people going.

I am an enabler to these post, that will stop now…. we just have to stop replying to the nonsense now or they’ll continue to feed these threads to get likes and dislikes so they look like someone.

Seen it, know it, lived it.

This is not a post for WNC or
Alessandro to reply…..😡

They bait post, to keep threads alive to show strength to get credit to then pull a move ?

Are you high on something ... I’m not a scammer buddy, steal your account or wallet ? Through Namepros ? How’s that work, lmfao.

•••
Pull a move. Watch your wallet.
Forum spammers. I admit it was amusing to start but zero value, possible scam being hosted on this once proud medium

Elaborate about watching are account and wallet @Vegas Options ?
You think more members get ripped off like the old @baseballworld days?

•••
Pull a move. Watch your wallet.
Forum spammers. I admit it was amusing to start but zero value, possible scam being hosted on this once proud medium

Elaborate about watching are account and wallet @Vegas Options ?
You think more members get ripped off like the old @baseballworld days?

There’s really no words I have for somebody to be so incoherent, to call me a spammer and scammer ... I was only replying to each and everyone of you,

You know it’s like this, imagine you’re in a concrete room and you start debating but then you realize there’s not a single person on your side in the room

Have fun with that ^ I ain’t staying with @MadAboutDomains or @Vegas Options or @bmugford

When .xyz was becoming a thing I told everyone here 5 years ago what was gonna happen ^ and these same guys argued against me

I don’t need to argue with three people or the people who support them, I am a firm believer in the transition and advancement of technology as well as time itself and that’s all it’ll take

You cannot restrict every business in the world to .com / to think you can, again no words ^ like packing sardines in a tin can, there’s a point when it get’s messy

Last edited:
•••
When .xyz was becoming a thing I told everyone here 5 years ago what was gonna happen ^ and these same guys argued against me
Let us know when it happens, I might invest in it.

Shame it's just another lie... UPDATE: Rescinded this as the Namepros search appears to have failed me.

1657032810965.png

Last edited:
•••
•••

Attachments

• 8A541440-B67F-477C-8332-DB817FF515F0.png
    8A541440-B67F-477C-8332-DB817FF515F0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
•••
I have rescinded what I put. Looks like the NPs search has failed me.

In that thread @bmugford appears to have been correct in his questioning of XYZ, as he is to this day.

•••
I have rescinded what I put. Looks like the NPs search has failed me.

In that thread @bmugford appears to have been correct in his questioning of XYZ, as he is to this day.

He had mentioned a random example of a .xyz someone else in the other party owned (funnyletter.xyz) which is a terrible name ... not sure about what you mean in his questioning

Nonetheless thank you for acknowledging the poor search tool on Namepros, I removed my dislike

There are many threads I have constantly supported GTLDs in, since 2016 - the majority of these threads I did not start, I just had a lot to say; and honestly over the past 6 years much of what I have said has come to fruition, I’ve been offered a lot of money for some of my names, both .com and GTLDs, but it’s not enough ...

•••
Back