Dynadot

discuss THE CONS OF .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
For those who are fond of downvoting, proceed to doing so if you haven’t already. Yes, you read it correctly. We welcome your downvote. Most of what you read post this point will likely be considered unpopular by the “conventional domain investors” who subscribe to “.com tribalism”. With this stated, let’s get the -23 reputation score up to, or past, a record -100.

Now, there’s a simple question we’d like to pose:

WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?

It’s apparent that many domain investors live by the “.com only” investment strategy. Whether this is by choice OR not having the courage/ability to endorse something new is what many don’t openly discuss. We’ve noticed that some investors act like a scorned ex when they hear about any extension other than their beloved .com. Some people might call it an obsession; while others might say it’s “normal”. We simply ask “why”?

Does the .com have any greater utility than any other extension? Last we checked, it doesn’t seem to offer too much beyond what other extensions offer. Does being a die-hard endorser of .com mean one can actually “own” the domains they rent at some point? Does “renting” a .com equate to being immune to online censorship? We’re NOT asking for a friend. We’re inquiring for those who’ve “thought it” but didn’t “ask it”.

We want your thoughts on what makes the .com so supreme. The broken record that is “top sales” and “web traffic” aren’t necessary here. Please forgo the “I also have .net, .org and some .xyz’s” counter. There are over 1000+ ICANN TLDs; and we’d like to know why YOU single out one and treat a few others like slot-filling sidekicks. It feels like the .com bubble is haunting the domain investment world. Maybe it’s just a dream though.

Share your thoughts below. Don’t be shy. Show your devotion to the .com and the downvote.

(Smiles)

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are really no cons to .com other than the cost for high quality domains, but they are expensive for a reason.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There are no cons to .com other than the cost for high quality domains, but they are expensive for a reason.

Brad

@bmugford,

That’s one vote for “absolutely no cons whatsoever”. Thank you much! Be sure to hit the downvote on this post.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
@bmugford,

That’s one vote for “absolutely no cons whatsoever”. Thank you much! Be sure to hit the downvote on this post.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS
Nah, I don't anonymously downvote.

I welcome the discussion and other opinions, even if I disagree with them. Otherwise it is just an echo chamber.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Nah, I don't anonymously down
vote.

I welcome the discussion and other opinions, even if I disagree with them. Otherwise it is just an echo chamber.

Brad

An echo chamber of C’s, O’s and M’s is what many want this forum to be. We’re here for it; but we have our proverbial noise-cancellation headphones handy.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

Last edited:
•••
An echo chamber of C’s, O’s and M’s is what many want this forum to be. We’re here for it; but we have our proverbial noise-cancellation headphones handy.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

Who wouldn't trade their term in another extension for .com?

Companies do it daily. Most consider it an upgrade when they can afford it.

There is nothing wrong with other extensions, but there is only (1) .com.

Brad

•••
Who wouldn't trade their term in another extension for .com?

Companies do it daily. Most consider it an upgrade when they can afford it.

There is nothing wrong with other extensions, but there is only (1) .com.

Brad

…..and there’s only (1) .c. Trading in “.com” for a “.c” is the next “upgrade”.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
…..and there’s only (1) .c. Trading in “.com” for a “.c” is the next “upgrade”.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

Oh, I thought we were talking about actual domain extensions that work in normal browsers without the need of special software or settings.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Oh, I thought we were talking about actual domain extensions that work in normal browsers without the need of special software or settings.

Brad

Oh how the days of .com infancy seem so far away. It reads that you have an eta for when a .com can be owned outright. There’s no .com worth renting forever right?

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Don’t forget to hit the downvote. It would be most expected.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
.com clearly lack precision. New gTLDs offer that advantage.

•••
.com clearly lack precision. New gTLDs offer that advantage.

@guillon

Thank you for your sensible and agreeable viewpoint. Unfortunately, some investors feel .com somehow conveys the ultimate precision.

•••
I agree for investment. I don't for usage.

•••
I agree for investment. I don't for usage.

As long as an investor is “objective” about a .com’s “basic utility”, we see no issue with leveraging the hype around the extension itself to generate revenue. We simply frown upon investors alluding to the idea a .com has a level of utility that other TLDs don’t offer as well.

•••
Know it all newbies are the best. 😂 Report back in a year when you haven’t sold your alt extensions (hopefully with a better attitude).

•••
There are really no cons to .com other than the cost for high quality domains, but they are expensive for a reason.
Can’t hold an honest discussion if you can’t find one con with .com. That’s like someone saying their favorite artist doesn’t have at least one bad song. If you state that, can’t trust you.

That being said, I think a con of .com is that it seems old. It’s been used by everyone for so long and that it may seem archaic to younger generations.

•••
For those who are fond of downvoting, proceed to doing so if you haven’t already. Yes, you read it correctly. We welcome your downvote. Most of what you read post this point will likely be considered unpopular by the “conventional domain investors” who subscribe to “.com tribalism”. With this stated, let’s get the -23 reputation score up to, or past, a record -100.

Now, there’s a simple question we’d like to pose:

WHAT ARE THE CONS OF THE .COM?

It’s apparent that many domain investors live by the “.com only” investment strategy. Whether this is by choice OR not having the courage/ability to endorse something new is what many don’t openly discuss. We’ve noticed that some investors act like a scorned ex when they hear about any extension other than their beloved .com. Some people might call it an obsession; while others might say it’s “normal”. We simply ask “why”?

Does the .com have any greater utility than any other extension? Last we checked, it doesn’t seem to offer too much beyond what other extensions offer. Does being a die-hard endorser of .com mean one can actually “own” the domains they rent at some point? Does “renting” a .com equate to being immune to online censorship? We’re NOT asking for a friend. We’re inquiring for those who’ve “thought it” but didn’t “ask it”.

We want your thoughts on what makes the .com so supreme. The broken record that is “top sales” and “web traffic” aren’t necessary here. Please forgo the “I also have .net, .org and some .xyz’s” counter. There are over 1000+ ICANN TLDs; and we’d like to know why YOU single out one and treat a few others like slot-filling sidekicks. It feels like the .com bubble is haunting the domain investment world. Maybe it’s just a dream though.

Share your thoughts below. Don’t be shy. Show your devotion to the .com and the downvote.

(Smiles)

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

A few early speculators spewed their opinions on .com and the result is 99% of late to the game wanna be's believed the hype

New industries like crypto and NFTs ignored .com and used crap tlds

.io is an example
The only zero population CCtld there is

A keyword is a keyword
A niceh or biz related tld can be developed successfully.

Usually the developer gets traction today outside of .com, raises mega millions off a biz model via defi then quietly buys the .com some geezer had for decades

XYX is popular with under 30 crowd

IO n others big with crypto crowd

Opensea raised billions on an .io

Tron raised billions on a .network

My marketing company now develops mostly .network for inhouse marketing to show end users our large network of com and net keywords.

That's how we sell companies our model using geo wheels on our .com and .nets

So how do we use .network?

Example is, we own lots of keywords in a niche like law or auto

The developed keywords use geo landing pages locally for clients.

So we end up with lots of end users on a .com or .net by wheeling geo sub domains.

Why are they on our industry portals?

We take control of Google via a portal.

The portal is a network of sites.

So sales end works via industry.network

The network sites bring into one site the whole concept of our company.

Here's our dozen(s) of sites in this industry keyword.network

Then, when an exec in that industry sees all their keywords linked to from one page saying this is our marketing network for their industry.network you see the light go off.

Ok, your power is you own all our keywords we pay a fortune to Google for.

So it's like a co-op.

Bigger companies in our industries target geo locations on our portals and get big SEM discounts with Google and bing.

Bingo

We develop keywords not sell them, that's our model.

We are a network in like 10 huge industries now.

Hundreds of developed keywords in 10 industries

Auto is Car Dealers & Mechanics two different industries both related to cats.

We operate in Legal dozens of niche areas of law portals.

In Medical there's lots of different types of doctors

Real Estate
Homes
Luxury Homes
Condos
Waterfront
Multi
Loans

In 2022 .com is irrelevant

If you own a keyword develop it

Another tld same word will be developed for billions and then they will buy your .com to keep our potential competitors.

Last edited:
•••
Know it all newbies are the best. 😂 Report back in a year when you haven’t sold your alt extensions (hopefully with a better attitude).
Do you believe that .coms are the only extension to invest in (I have been considering some .net and org, but am not sure)

•••
Only geniuses can come up with these type of questions.
Confusing new members and steer them in the wrong direction.

•••
•••
Dot com is the King.

An extremely clear declaration. Welp, there’s nothing left to do besides kneel to royalty at this point? Be sure to hit the downvote on this post before you do.

•••
Can’t hold an honest discussion if you can’t find one con with .com. That’s like someone saying their favorite artist doesn’t have at least one bad song. If you state that, can’t trust you.

That being said, I think a con of .com is that it seems old. It’s been used by everyone for so long and that it may seem archaic to younger generations.

You have a very solid point. Many investors have a .com bias. If only .com could cure all of the internet’s woes. There’d be a far better online experience that exists at this point.

•••
You have a very solid point. Many investors have a .com bias. If only .com could cure all of the internet’s woes. There’d be a far better online experience that exists at this point.

Yes, people here are crazy and biased... they look at what the market wants and at what makes overall the main share of sales...

They are really dumb...

•••

You can’t truly sell something you’ll never own. (Alt extension or otherwise.) So we guess you have a point. We’re all glorified renters at best leveraging the ability to click “transfer out”.

Don’t forget to click the downvote here a few times before your next portfolio renewal cycle.

•••
Yes, people here are crazy and biased... they look at what the market wants and at what makes overall the main share of sales...

They are really dumb...

Last edited:
•••
Back