Dynadot

discuss The Chinese question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Derek Guad

Established Member
Impact
Good evening all,

I heard a very interesting report today on the current state of the Chinese economy. Today, the Chinese stock market was frozen AND their currency devaluated. This leads me to question: What is the future for the CHIPs and how does the current economic stare of China affect that (Inversely? Directly?). As you know Chinese "CHIPS" are very popular still. This discussion is not about the chip bubble - from my browsing upon this site it is clear that there is a difference of opinion on that. I agree with a lot of things both sides are saying. Hypothetically, if this was not a bubble, how do these events effect the market? This forum is filled with knowledgeable and experienced domainers (hence why I love it so). Do you think values will rise or fall as a result (i.e. stock investors switching to domains, or away from them).

Are domains a viable alternative to stocks?

Will the Chinese domain acquisition (and ultimately liquidation) spur the currency value?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe in gold as the premiere store of value since time. Over the last 100 years the world has abandoned gold as money and replaced it with what we have now. Gold has every attribute which makes perfect money. Greed and control got in the way of gold. Gold won't go up because me and 1000's of other people passionately believe it will. Gold will go up because everyone, once they finally figure out how doomed our financial systems are (from the root, from the beginning.) will want to buy it. I could write a book on WHY, but in the spirit of the internet, trust me. It will happen very fast! Only a few of the richest people need to try buying gold. The king has no clothes. Everyone will wonder where all the gold is and the price will increase faster than anything you have ever seen before.

Domains are a good store of value too, but when this modern day gold rush hits I'm afraid only gold will be on peoples minds at first. ANYTHING except cash or cash based financial instruments will be be 'good investment' during such crisis.

•••
Thank you to whomever moved it xD

•••
I believe in gold as the premiere store of value since time. Over the last 100 years the world has abandoned gold as money and replaced it with what we have now. Gold has every attribute which makes perfect money. Greed and control got in the way of gold. Gold won't go up because me and 1000's of other people passionately believe it will. Gold will go up because everyone, once they finally figure out how doomed our financial systems are (from the root, from the beginning.) will want to buy it. I could write a book on WHY, but in the spirit of the internet, trust me. It will happen very fast! Only a few of the richest people need to try buying gold. The king has no clothes. Everyone will wonder where all the gold is and the price will increase faster than anything you have ever seen before.

Domains are a good store of value too, but when this modern day gold rush hits I'm afraid only gold will be on peoples minds at first. ANYTHING except cash or cash based financial instruments will be be 'good investment' during such crisis.

I completely agree, gold is the standard. Although I've heard that Chinese investors tend to be more adventurous. If that is true, I would imagine they would go after unorthodox investments - such as domains. One of the problems with gold and the only thing really keeping it alive is because it is a safe investment. I genuinely believe gold will always have value unless market dynamics themselves have changed. Problem is: low risk, low reward. That's where I think domains come in... B-) among the many other options out there.

•••
Gold will go up because everyone, once they finally figure out how doomed our financial systems are (from the root, from the beginning.) will want to buy it. I could write a book on WHY, but in the spirit of the internet, trust me. It will happen very fast!

Gold was abandoned because it doesn't fit with modern financial system requirements. Very few people actually need gold, other than jewelry. What most people need is financial system that solves the problems of every day payment. That's why Paypal, Stripe, Bitcoin and few other evolved. I don't think that in case modern financial system fail we will go back to ancient one. No, chances are we will adopt something more advanced.

As an investment gold can be attractive for some people. There's even whole systems about gold as the only choice and gold gurus. But nobody knows for sure, so be careful and make your research before claiming that you know "Gold will go up... It will happen very fast!"

•••
Gold was abandoned because it doesn't fit with modern financial system requirements. Very few people actually need gold, other than jewelry. What most people need is financial system that solves the problems of every day payment. That's why Paypal, Stripe, Bitcoin and few other evolved. I don't think that in case modern financial system fail we will go back to ancient one. No, chances are we will adopt something more advanced.

As an investment gold can be attractive for some people. There's even whole systems about gold as the only choice and gold gurus. But nobody knows for sure, so be careful and make your research before claiming that you know "Gold will go up... It will happen very fast!"

Gold is a finite resource with a history of value and acceptance as money. It has real intrinsic value. There is no one that can call all the shots with gold, so to speak. Maybe you should do some research, because gold was abandoned due to greed. We printed too many dollars, couldn't back the gold as promised and it was abandoned and kept rather than payed out. The transition into fiat money was followed buy a boom (70's) because of debt accumulation. Gold can be stored in a vault and transacted digitally just as well as PayPal, bitcoin and whatever else you can come up with.

•••
I am well aware of Nixon taking us off the gold standard and digital transactions of gold bullion. I do appreciate your feedback though. My point was gold, at least in our lifetimes, will never be worthless. Also @djum, gold is used in almost every smartphone. It's one of the best (if not the best) semi-conductor. Loads of industrial value far beyond cosmetic.

•••
Gold is a finite resource with a history of value and acceptance as money. It has real intrinsic value. There is no one that can call all the shots with gold, so to speak. Maybe you should do some research, because gold was abandoned due to greed. We printed too many dollars, couldn't back the gold as promised and it was abandoned and kept rather than payed out. The transition into fiat money was followed buy a boom (70's) because of debt accumulation. Gold can be stored in a vault and transacted digitally just as well as PayPal, bitcoin and whatever else you can come up with.

Don't need to google, from what I remember France collected some dollars and as it was written on the back they were backed up with gold. When US official came to visit they brought the dollars in and asked to trade it for gold. Couple more times and USA decided to change the system, before going broke.

Anyway, some people invest in stock, some in stamps, some in coins, some in gold, we invest in domains and I like it this way. Not interested in gold that much, for me it's just one metal, commodity, sorry if you feel different way.

•••
Back